Dell Computers / fake dell callers hacking pc to steal private and confidential data

Toronto, ON, Canada Review updated:

Mr. Robin preteneded to be Technical Support agent of Dell Computers India called my wife cell on Jan 1, 2015 at around 11.25AM from local number [protected] to talk about the malware or virus found on my Dell PC. Asked me to go in front of the PC we bought from Dell last year, I asked him to prove your ID or authenticate yourself as a Dell Employee he gave me ID Rob119 and manager ID Pet090. I asked further thats not enough give me more info to verify that you are from Dell, He gave me my customer ID from last Dell Invoice which matched and also give me description of the PCs I bought from them and on what dates and then told me to goto my PC and click Window key and R same time to run CMD and type clsid to find the CLSID I matched with the one he spoke on the phone and he told me thats the one they have in Dell Servers, at that moment he asked me to goto www.Fastsupport.com. Believing him as a genuine Dell agent I joined him via Goto Assisst remote login tool and he got control of my PC, He showed me Task manager, Two files : csrss.exe and then opened google page and showed me that those two files are malicious Trojan then told me that go and type on cmd netstat, showed me the list of IP addresses with foreign addresses and told me that my computer has established connections with foreign hackers. He then created a notepad new document on my desktop and typed in bold letters: 1-slow machine, 2 Found Trojans, 3 Foreign hackers connections. Then he put me on hold and transfer to Manager Peter, I asked Peter to proved that he is from Dell but he hesitated and I said OK I will call back to Dell and disconnected their remote connection and hung up the call at around 11:34 AM. Now I suspect that they have copied my confidential and private information from my PC. I called Dell and asked about the nature of the call they said it was a fake call and spam. I asked how come they got my Invoice and customer ID info, they said it could be stolen? I requested help to scan my PC for malware or any virus they left they said to pay first $240. I told them it sounds like your ex-Indian customer service employees hase stolen my private info and God knows how many more customers and you should help us but they refused.I called again on next day and asked to transfer me to the Manager PC Software solutions which they never did but kept arguing and asking me for service tags four times then said our Care team will call which never happened at all.

Cd
Jan 8, 2015

Comments

• Mo
      22nd of Feb, 2007
    Dell Computers - Do not honor promised discounts!

Dell Computers will not honor attached 5% ad which was sent out. Although ad states "get 5% off all PCs" they claim it is only on select models.

• Kr
      7th of Nov, 2008
    Dell Computers - you name it
    dell computers
    Tully
    Queensland
    Australia
    Phone: 0421556678

i bought a dell inspiron computer and 3 days later it broke down and wouldnt even start, afetr being put on hold for hours on end and being hung up on, bveing told that someone would ring me and a technicion would come to fix my computer im at my wits end, i am still waiting 3 weeks later for someone to fix my computer

• Sh
      18th of Mar, 2009

dell computer broke down after 3 years don't know what is wrong .. i took it to the the pc doctor said they think they can fix it but don't no dell would not fix it because they said i had it to long what a bummer!!!

• Mu
      13th of Oct, 2009
    Dell Computers - Credit Card
    Houston
    Texas

Purchased a Dell Computer and the computer itself is fine, but those jerks at Dell gave my Credit Card number to Norton Software.
    And Norton Software turned around and charged me a $60 dollar renewal fee without my permission.
    Don't trust Dell with your personal information!

• Bu
      22nd of Feb, 2010

I ordered a pc from Dell on 12/13/09 for a christmas gift and used a discount coupon.

They delayed shipping 4 times, until finally on 1/21/10, they sent an email saying they would not ship the machine I purchased and that I could buy a different one, but they would not honor the discount I received.

Worst company I've ever dealt with in my IT career.

• Le
      4th of Mar, 2010
    Dell Computers - Power Cords
    Texas

I have purchased two Dell Laptops and the power cords for these computers are not good. The fall out of the connections hole and for the power cord with the blue light it easly comes apart at the light site on the cord.

• My
      20th of Aug, 2010
    Dell Computers - Still my money is not reverted
    dell.com

I have placed an order on 23rd June 2010 for Dell laptop of worth CAD 1041.58. I have cancelled that on 30th June 2010. Today is Aug 12th. Still my money is not reverted. I followed up with Dell. They always say 2 days.

14th of Sep, 2010
    Dell Computers - Provides no service
    Dell Computers

My 9 month old Dell laptop is having troubles booting and is starting to crash unexpectedly. After running virus scans, cleaning the disk, etc., I called the Dell service center and was told the >$200 service package I bought was "for basic use only" and that help for this problem would cost $250. The service package offered when you buy a computer is a waste of money.

• St
      1st of Jun, 2011
    Dell Computers - I am so sorry I got mixed up with Dell
    Dell Computers

When I got my tax money I bought a Dell. I did not know they would have to answer for their lies until I heard it on HLN Clark Howard Show. The first time I called they helped me. After that I was put on hold for 30 minutes or longer, Until I got tied and finally hung up.I even kept my monitor to make the price cheaper. I am so sorry I got mixed up with Dell.

• He
      1st of Jun, 2011

Dell is not worth the hassle. I bought a dell studio laptop in feb 2009 and by october 2009 it had gone through 7 hard drives, finally they replaced it and sent me a refurbished laptop, that one went through 4 hard drives and finally died. I spent over 30 plus hours on the phone with them, they were rude and arrogant. I now have an HP and I love it...so glad I am no longer tied to Dell

30th of Nov, 2015

DELL CUSTOMER DATA HAS BEEN HACKED!

I had a similar experience. The scam caller from India had my land line phone number, then called my cell number, had my Dell product number, Dell "Service Tag Number", knew exactly when I bought the computer, and knew all other information that only Dell would know. Obviously, Dell's customer data based has been hacked. After "proving" that the caller was from "Dell Update Server", the scammer asked to access my computer using the Team Viewer 10 program. The Team Viewer 10 program launched a window indicating "Scam Call" when the scammer tried to access my computer. I immediately shut the computer down and called Dell Tech support to check for damage. BEWARE of this SCAM...