David's Bridal / Sleazy sales tactics

I found what I thought was the dress & veil of my dreams at the Sunset Hills location in St. Louis last Thursday. I put the dress, garment bag, veil & blusher on layaway and put down a deposit of $200 (total was about $750 with the dress and veils). The dress was very beautiful and the veil was dainty with a small edge of pretty beads very light and simple. I was kind of surprised that it was $179, but the consultant told me that is how much they run on average. So I came back on Sunday to try the dress on again with headpieces (tiaras and headbands) and to get my Maid of Honor's opinion. My consultant let me try on the headpieces with the dress but in a different size since the one I bought was on layaway. I thought that was odd because I had already put money towards it... but whatever... She also brought out a sample of the veil I had in layaway. I was very confused at first to see that it was NOT the same veil as the one I had tried on last time! It was this heavy thing with gaudy beads and tacky lace! I asked her if this was the same veil from Thursday... she double checked and said that it was indeed the same on that I had on layaway. I didn't make a fuss then but I was 99% sure it WAS NOT the same veil. IT WAS NOT MY STYLE AT ALL!!! Since they were very busy on Sunday and my consultant was working with about 3 other customers, I just left and went home. I compared pictures from Thursday with the ones we took that day and I confirmed it WAS NOT THE SAME VEIL! So basically I had bought something that I didn't try on. I could not believe they had done that to me! So I decided I would go back Tuesday night (Monday was a holiday) and take that veil off of Layaway. I figured I wouldn't cause a scene and I was just trying to give the consultant the benefit of the doubt thinking maybe she mixed the veils up. When I arrived I spoke with a girl named Tammy who was professional but did not seem to want to help me. I was hoping to take the veil off layaway and just put that money towards my dress. She told me that I could not do that. She said I had to pay everything off first and then I could exchange the veil for something else of equal or LESSER value. So if I couldn't find something worth $179 (cost of the veil) then I would basically LOSE money. Now why would I want to pay towards something I didn't want in the first place?!?! Or even more so something that I never even TRIED ON!!?! Next she told me that if I cancel the layaway I could only cancel the entire purchase not just a portion of it. So I did. I canceled the dress and everything. To top it off she tried to tell me that I would forfeit the 25% I had put down. I had to point out that the layaway policy CLEARLY STATES that all cancellations with in 10 days entitle the buyer to a FULL refund. THANK GOODNESS I had read the policy! It's a shame they lost business over a simple matter. We were planning on outfitting our entire bridal party (12 people) plus the mother of the bride & mother of the groom through David's Bridal. We were also going to go with them for our invitations and party favors. To quantify this: They lost about $6000 over a matter of $179. What fantastic business sense they have! I was hoping to send an email to corporate but there is only a mailing address on their site and I will be sending a letter but I doubt anyone will read it. I would not recommend David's Bridal to anyone.

Ri

Comments

• Ha
      23rd of Sep, 2014

Um maybe you should have gotten the point across that it wasn't the same veil. You should have showed her the pictures. Not DB's fault you couldn't put your foot down and stand up to her. Just saying.