Costco / bad service

1 Unk, WA, United States Review updated:

Winslow media console

Item # 274584

Reference order #28615142- this order was confirmed on may 26, 2008. on 07/11/2208 the item was delivered to me in damaged condition (the front leg had been broken off at some point and then re-glued attempting to conceal the defect). I refused delivery of the item.

This episode has been one of the worse buying experiences of my life. I want to talk to a human being to discuss my recourse on this issue. if I do not get satisfaction from costco or its delivery agent, I will take this to san francisco news station's "7 on 7" consumer watchdog program. I refuse to call expecting to talk to a human being only to be told to leave a message and someone will get back to me in 4 hours (which they do not). I am requesting my money back in full (including tax). I do not plan to make other purchases via costco.com. I would like a call back from your customer service to confirm when I can expect my refund.

Here are some of the issues regarding this order:

1) I was notified by hepdirect the item was scheduled to be delivered on june 27, I was then called & told that the item would be delivered on june 28- if I couldn't receive it then, I would have to wait two more weeks. I tried to contact hep customer service to make other arrangements, but my calls were not returned (after repeated calls to hep & costco)

2) the 2nd delivery was scheduled for july 7. as of july 7 I was not contacted by hepdirect to confirm a delivery time. after repeated calls to hepdirect & costco furniture escalation (which in many cases were not returned), I finally received a call stating the delivery would be between 7 & 11 on july 12. I received a call after 7:30 on friday night (july 11) asking if the item could be delivered in a 1/2 hour! I accommodated the gentlemen (having to re-arrange my evening). as it was dark, I was fortunate to identify the defect before they had left the area. to their benefit, they did return and pick up the item.

Costco has absolutely no control over either the quality of goods or services when contracting out to a 3rd party. what exacerbates the situation is that there is no way to get in touch with anybody to get assistance with problems with your delivery company (or, for that matter, with costco customer service). how do you expect to maintain a reputation when 1) you have no effective customer service for corrective action, 2) you have no control of goods or services you are selling, 3) the quality of the products is substandard?

I can almost guarantee you that you will be losing valued business & residential customers if you continue to use hepdirect for scheduling & delivery of high dollar items. bar none, their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. I must say, that costcos is a close second.

I am making a copy of this correspondence in the event I do not receive a call back from costco.

Va

Comments

• Va
      28th of Aug, 2008

We ordered an Infinity Spa from Costco.Com for $3000 which included curbside delivery. The Costco contracted driver told us that it would cost $245 to bring the spa to our backyard and attach it to our wired receptacle (which we had wired to receive this spa for $500). It was delivered at 5PM on July 24th and we gladly paid the driver $245 to get it brought to and hooked up in our back yard.

We filled the spa with water added the recommended amount of chlorine and decided to go to bed and turn it on for the first time in the morning. In the morning we were horrified to see all the water (except for a 2 inch deep puddle on the bottom) had left the spa and drained all over our perennial flower bed .. chlorine and all. Most of the plants are now dead. I called Costco on 7/25 to tell them of their non-functional spa. It was suggested that we remove the front panel to see if in fact the drain hose was unplugged in transit. It was not but we did see a loose hose inside the spa which was hanging attached to nothing and with no plug. Costco passed us along to Todd who was handling the Infinity Spa end for Costco. He contacted me that afternoon on 7/25 and said that an Infinity technician would be in touch with me. On 7/29 when I had not heard from anyone I called Todd and left a voice message asking for the status. I sent and email also the same day to Todd asking the same thing. No response. I repeated the process on 7/30. Again, no response.

On 8/2 I left another msg and sent another email. Finally on 8/4 I asked Todd via email and voicemail to have this DOA spa picked up ASAP. Finally on 8/4 I got a message from Todd that a technician would be in touch with us within 72 hours to repair the spa. I said fine and actually commended him on his taking care of the situation. The technician never called.

I called them (TC Enterprises) on 8/6 and spoke to Dennis, the lead technician. He had no idea about this issue and said, furthermore, they only dealt with spa surface repair. I immediately called Todd and left a voicemail and email for him to please come and get this DOA spa. He finally returned my call on 8/8 leaving a message that I had to pay again to have this dead spa delivered from my backyard to curbside. I have had it.

We have been here with a non-functioning spa in our yard, dead perennials from the chlorine that was leaked and we are still expected to pay the $3000 on our Costco Amex card, assume the loss for the $245 back yard delivery, and never even mentioning all of our perennials. And now they want us to pay to get the dead spa shipped back.

We bought this brand new spa from Costco. Costco delivered the item DOA and has done nothing to undue the damage. We are executive members of Costco and have been members for over 15 years without a complaint. We are cancelling our membership when it expires in September. Costco, you were the shining star in our book. What is happening to you?

• Ph
      10th of Sep, 2008

I have had the same experience with Costco and Infinity Spas. My Spa was missing Parts and blower did not work. The company has refused to honor their warrantee. I will not be going to costco any more. My membership will be cancelled.

• Va
      14th of Sep, 2008

I purchased a televison from costco 14 monthes ago. The television quit working and i called there customer service. The customer service told me it was under warranty and i had to try to do a bunch of resets. They were unsuccessful, I asked the guy what to do and he said i could try to take it back to the store. I took the next day off from work and hauled the 60 inch television 15 miles to the wharehouse. They told me at the stor that they do not take anything back over 90 days and i should have been told this by customer service. They would not help me. I called customer service back and they said it was their mistake and i had to schedule a service appointment which i did for wednesday which was two days later. I took off work on wednesday and they never showed up. When i finally got someone on the phone the service people said they had to order a part and apologized for not calling me so i could go to work. I paid 2100 dollars for this televison and have used 2 of my vacation days trying to get it fixed or returned with zero help from costco. I will never buy anything from them again and i have dropped my membership.

7th of Oct, 2008

So we have two compllaints. I really don, t like scare mongering complain sites like this. I am sure the majority of Costco shoppers have been satisfied. I will be recieving my hot tub toay and I will let you all know how it goes...good or bad.

• Ni
      30th of Mar, 2009

That would be the Conseirge services hired out to a third-party company. Costco makes their 90 day policy very clear in the store and even on the television box.

• We
      22nd of Jun, 2009

I had the same experience with Costco.com's HEP-Direct delivery service. I ordered a $3200 bedroom set online on 5/2/08. HEP-Direct's delivery estimate was 6/5/08, so we did not pack our old bed during our out-of-state move. We remained on a mattress on the floor as the date was pushed off from 6/5 to 6/11 to 6/18, when they were to deliver between 7-10 pm. Costco.com states that their white glove delivery service deliveries will occur from Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm: http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/WhiteGloveDelivery.pdf

Well, a rep from HEP-Direct called on the delivery date (6/18) at around 1 pm to tell us that the truck broke down in Kentucky and wouldn't be to our house by the delivery time...which was later that night. We are in Lincoln, Nebraska...so the truck would not have arrived by the scheduled time anyhow if it was still in Kentucky.

The HEP-Direct reps were unapologetic and said they did not foresee the truck to break down, and our new scheduled time was Sunday, June 21, from 8 am to noon! Yes, Father's Day. I said there is no way we can make that work as we have out-of-town plans. They said their next truck would not be through until June 30th. I tried to get them to subcontract with a local delivery company (which the costco.com white glove policy indicates they should do anyway), but they seem to have one truck going to various states with a very large gap (2-3 weeks) in-between deliveries. We have not had a good night's sleep in months now, so my husband drove a separate car from our family gathering (2.5 hours away), so he could return to our house (and miss family events on FATHER'S DAY) by the new scheduled time of 10 am on...Father's Day. At 9:30 am on the new delivery date of Father's Day, I received a voicemail stating the truck broke down THE NIGHT BEFORE (yes, a SEPARATE truck malfunction...) and they would not be there until 1 pm. My husband had already left and was almost home to meet them; had they contacted us the night before or earlier in the morning, my husband could have enjoyed more family time. They arrived after 2 pm, and one of the nightstands had horrible water damage. The deliverymen broke the mirror outside our house. And I will state once again...my husband missed out on Sunday morning Father's Day events.

The HEP-Direct representative sounded depressed, unapologetic and just annoyed. However, their mission statement states that they have up-to-date trucks that are reliable, and that they will "scale" to handle any problems that arise, and that they'll hit their deadlines: http://www.hep-direct.com/mission.htm I find this an absolute joke, as our experiences with them involved none of the stuff in their mission statement.

The Costco.com "furniture escallation" representative offered to credit us our money if we wanted to reject the delivery. However, at this point (7+ weeks after date of order, when they said it would take 4-6 weeks), we have not slept and could not get anything ordered in from anywhere else for another two weeks, so we opted for the Sunday morning delivery (which became Sunday afternoon).

I have told the Costco rep we WILL NOT be making any more orders through costco.com that use HEP-Direct. We spend thousands and thousands of dollars yearly at Costco and costco.com, but they will be losing our online business after this experience. The costco rep could not tell me which products are delivered by HEP-Direct. I will be more careful in the future to check with specific items, because I am boycotting HEP-Direct altogether after this experience. I just hope the replacement end table and mirror match the finish of the set in our bedroom, as they are no doubt different "batches."

Good luck getting your stuff if it involves HEP-Direct!

• Ki
      28th of Aug, 2009

take a cart, put some vulnerable staffs, like eggs, glass, flour in it and vandalize them while u go around in the costco and leave them inside and come out and have a cheap hot-dog and pop and go home...

• Co
      9th of Feb, 2010

i would be so angry!

• Sh
      1st of Apr, 2010

you wanted to return a product 14 months after purchase! What a joke! This is one of the reasons that prices are so high. merchants have to pay to send products back to the vendor or pay someone to dispose of an item. it is not the stores fault that it broke. it is most likley your fault or the manufactures . not costcos.

• Ku
      30th of Aug, 2010

Three years in a row, Costco has neglected to send me my executive membership check. Every year I have to call and fight corporate before they send it to me weeks later.

This year again, they supposedly mailed out my check in January and now at the end of August I have received nothing...again. I complain at the store, but they just request a new check form corporate as they tell me that I will receive a new check within the next few weeks.

I am curious, is anybody else going through this, if so I would appreciate knowing the details of your experiences.

• Pj
      15th of Jan, 2011

We also had many problems with our Infinity spa from Costco, from poor communication and delivery (missing head rests, owners manual) to replacing one pump ($500.) about 1 year later along with all the lights. Now the control pad won't work,
    nothing! I had to rework all the outside cover panels due to excessive noise from vibration(poorly attached) . Hose leaks. I
    would not buy another spa or any large, heavy, hard to return item from Costco, ever!

15th of Feb, 2012

It's 2012 and HEP Direct continues to deliver product for Costco and they continue to operate just as the complaints above describe. It amazes me how they are able to sustain that relationship with Costco. I own a business and foolishly allowed them to make aprox 350 deliveries to my customers over a 14 month period. Aproximately 25% of those items arrived damaged. Customers called us continuously complaining that didn't show up for delivery appointments. HEP used the same excuses described above about trucks breaking down. If they can't afford to service their trucks to keep them on the road then they need to find another line of business. The worst part is they never paid us for the damaged furniture and didn't refund us for pre-paid delivery charges on items they never picked up from the manufacturer in the first place. I estimate HEP Direct is in debt to my business in excess of $30, 000.

• Ro
      25th of Apr, 2012

I used to work for Hep, and well yes the trucks do break down quite often and i will tell you why, they run them into the ground. If i truck is in the shop or sitting its not making them money, they run their trucks and their drivers like slaves. We were barely home a day a week to spend any time with our families, put a huge gap in my marriage the wife was about to leave me because of the job. I do apologize for the damages. Sometimes i'm sure they were due to driver error or carelessness on the drivers behalf. Other times some of the damages were things we simply did not see upon initial inspection in the warehouse before we shrunk wrapped and pad wrapped the furniture, I was let go due to my lead driver being very inappropriate to customers, I should have said something to my manager but i was afraid of retaliation from my lead driver, he was very unstable. I was honestly kind of afraid to be working with the guy but they would not switch us up. Something needs to be done about this company they either need to run a tight ship or get the hell out of business.

25th of Apr, 2012

You've probably heard of Glam Furniture? You probably deivered some of our mirrored furniture. Well, Mr Hewitt owes me $30, 000 in damage claims, false billing, service failure ect, , This man is ruthless, He stole from me and my business and family have suffered severly. I encourage you to read my post about Mr. Keith Hewitt and HEP direct on the squeaky wheel.com The link to my complaint is http://www.thesqueakywheel.com/complaints/2012/APR/complaint47803.cfm It's titled HEP DIRECT - LESSONS LEARNED FROM MY NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE.

I am now using Metropolitan Warehouse for all of my deliveries and they have been so wonderful.

25th of Apr, 2012

Oh yea, Debbie and Earl are idiots!

• Da
      4th of May, 2012

I worked for hep direct as a lead driver as i would not down a previous employer. This is not the case for hep idiot direct. There lack of customer service, lack of leadership, lack of organization, and piss poor employees in the warehouse and in there trucks. This company made me hate my job, hate the people i worked with, and have a piss poor outlook towards customers. I quit and took others with me to there rivals. I am happy again and like doing my job again. Anyone who has to or has already dealt with this company I feel sorry for them. They make good employees and good customer piss poor indaviduals. I wish all of you good luck, and hope costco wisens up and moves on like I did

2nd of Jan, 2014

Ordered an elliptical excersize machine from Costco on 12/10. They called later that week to say it was in but would have to put of delivery until 12/23. They called the afternoon of 12/20 and asked if they could deliver it that evening, There was no way to rearrange our schedule for this and asked to stick to the original date. The morning of 12/23 they called to say we were being bumped due to a more important delivery and would call back in a couple hours to let us know when they would be there, then called to say they would be there by 10. At 10:15 we got a call from the lost driver, he had been given the wrong address. We he finally arrived, he and his partner complained constantly about the number of parts and how they had never installed anything like this. Kept looking for where the seat was (it is an elliptical stepper, there is no seat). They finally brought in the main part of the body and it was badly cracked in several places. Called customer service and was told not to accept the delivery and I had a choice of waiting a month for a replacement, buying a different model or getting a refund. I chose a refund as we needed the machine for rehab from a surgery and could not wait. To date we still have not received a refund. Calls to customer service and they say they are expediting the refund but nothing. The day after they attempted the delivery of the broken machine we found a Nordic Track for similar price at Sears and ordered it. The day after Christmas, Sears put the machine on sale for >$100 less. One call and the difference was refunded to my card in less than 48 hours. Why am I paying for a Costco membership???

• Hv
      3rd of Nov, 2015

I had a horrible experience with costco white glove delivery service. Overall I like costco but their white glove service is not good. Its has been about 2 months that I am still waiting for this bed to arrive. The fedex number I have been given does not show any tracking information. I have called costco customer service several times and white glove service even more times but no help. They keep on telling me that its going through 'inspection' mode. whatever that means. Very frustrated. Will not use costco online again.

• Re
      29th of Feb, 2016

I wanted to buy some Costco socks because they are the s*** and my old ones from 2 years ago were finally wearing out. I was down to 3 pair. So I went there and all they had were these cotton jobs that are all thin. What ever happened to the cool gray bottom socks that were sooooooo comfy? Bring em back or tell me where I can find them