Con Edison / billing errors

1 NY, United States Review updated:

I have been trying to resolve an account problem for over a year. I had moved from an apartment in Yonkers and was unable to turn off the service because my landlord needed to have light to that she can paint and such after I moved. She assured me that they would adjust the account once she provided me with a statement indicating the date I vacated the apartment. I spoke with Con Ed and explained to them that I had moved and they asked for proof, a new apartment lease, moving bills, etc. I don't have a lease because I purchased a new home and was able to provide several documents such as the HUD and some closing documents. After a year of the back and forth "requesting and providing" there determination was that I did not call them to interrupt the service so I was liable for the charges. And of course, the landlord does not respond to my calls or letters for that matter. It seems ridiculous that if they were not going to adjust the account, then why ask for me to provide the documents as proof of the move. Now I am being contacted by a collection agency, which of course, I am contesting. Don't know what else to do.

Na

Comments

• Ny
      19th of Jun, 2009

Let me know what happens, a collection agency is calling my brother 3 states away, with my moms Soc.Sec# and what not, neither of them have lived anywhere but PA, i only transferred accounts when i moved, and remained a con-ed customer for an additional 3yrs, transferred anything related to the address i moved from to the new one, and i have no idea what's going on and why they're telling my mom she's got debt with them, collection agencies according to the DEP website, must be registered with DCA, this company is not, they just "bought debt records" from coned, which also seems COMPLETELY wrong, COnEd is out there selling our information and getting it wrong, and screwing up my moms credit history?? Please contact me if you get anywhere, i too don't know what else to do(nyctini11@aol.com)

21st of Jul, 2009

About 6 months ago we received a bill stating that we had been overcharged and they kept sending monthly bills stating that we had a credit. We even had a bill sent that said it was the adjusted bill and had a credit over $1000.oo. A few months later we had a bill sent that said we owed over $2000.00. We called and it was almost impossible to talk to someone but they finally said it was a mistake and we needed to pay it. We took it to the board and after awhile they said we needed to pay it even though the bills cleary state month after month that we had a large credit. They even took $1400.00 out of my account because I was on a level payment plan and they had access to my account. I finally had to pay the whole amount because they were going to shut off my power. I contacted the Better Business Bureau but they cannot get in contact with anyone. Is there anything else to do? They have power to do whatever they want and they are rude and incompetant when you speak to them.