Clark Shoes / Soles fall apart!

I am writing to tell you how disappointed I have been in the quality of Ecco and Clark shoes. The soles just fall apart. Often leaving me in a precarious and even hazardous position. Therefore I'm forced not to purchase your shoes, even though I like them. I believe it is a problem with your materials used on the rubber soles. I am sorry. I am forced to buy your competitors products even if at a higher price point. Mephistos don't have this problem. I am hoping these company's will do something to correct this problem.
It's happened on every pair whether worn or not. They disintegrate. Some sooner then others.

A disappointed customer!

Comments

• Su
      7th of Aug, 2008

I have been trying to contact Clark Shoes for this very problem!

We purchased some beautiful 'first steps' Clark shoes for our first son, who never
    wore them. 20 months later, I put them on our second son. I found the rubber
    soles quite sticky. Then, to my horror, I found my 10 mth old son choking on a
    huge piece of sole that had just broken off! As he rubbed his feet on our carpet
    the soles left big blue stains on the carpet, and the soles have cracked completely
    from side to side.

THESE ARE AN INFERIOR AND DANGEROUS PRODUCT.

• Mo
      7th of Aug, 2008

I love my Clarks. I own 9 pair. I have never had a single problem with any of them. They are so comfortable and support my high arches well. I have not found a better shoe.

• Ha
      19th of Sep, 2008

I have owned several pair of Clark shoes. After a few years of use the sole splits. The upper areas of the shoe are in good condition and would give a lot of additional wear. I also buy Rockport shoes and have never had any similar problem with them.

• De
      20th of Oct, 2008

I am a teacher and, when new and for several months following, Clark's shoes are great.Other teaches wear these shoes and have identical complaints. I have bought many pairs of Clark's shoes and have experienced 4 pairs that have prematurely fallen apart. The material to which the uppers are sewn pulls apart and is irreparable. Clark's has replaced one pair, but it seems the shoes they have that I prefer, are all destined to fail much too prematurely. Clark's products have appreciably deteriorated in quality.

31st of Oct, 2008

Stitching broke away from soles of shoes

• Le
      3rd of Jul, 2017

@Janet Hanley My stitching just broke away from the soles this morning, so bummed! I love clarks and this is the first time I have had this problem. This is how I found this page looking if there is a warranty.

• Kl
      20th of Nov, 2008

I just now experienced the same problem. The sole just disintegrated on my way to work. For me it seems at it does not depend on how often you wear them, but just on the age of the shoes.

21st of Nov, 2008

I have six(6) pairs of clark shoes that have come detached from the soles and are unable to be worn. Also, I have other pairs of clark's that I am sure will follow suit. I "expect" clark shoes to remedy this situation ASAP; and, hope I won't be disappointed.

I prefer clark shoes for their comfort; but, will refrain from purchasing additional pairs and will discourage others from purchasing your shoes too unless my complaint is handled swiftly and to my satisfaction.

• La
      22nd of Mar, 2009

I am very disappointed with Clark shoes. Two pair have come apart (the stitching of sole comes loose). Clark was my favorite shoe -
    --- WHAT has HAPPENED?
    l.j. in Texas

• Le
      3rd of Jul, 2017

@la offield Was my favorite shoe also, going to have to find something comparable. These are a great on your feet all day work shoe. (and not cheap) really bummed!

• La
      22nd of Mar, 2009

Clark used to be my favorite shoe . The one purchased several years back are still together, however, the three pair that have been purchased in the last three years are falling apart.The soles have separated.
    Will the company do anything about this lesser quality of workmanship?
    They have lost an "old customer" .

L.J O. in San Antonio

• Kr
      21st of Sep, 2009

I agree. I've have worn clarks since my childhood and they are poorly made compared with the 'old days'.

• Ko
      10th of Oct, 2009

Today I attended an event and my soles started coming apart and trialing behind me were bits and pieces of the sole material - now that was embarrassing! At one time I thought Clark shoes were the best...not anymore. I have several more pairs of Clark shoes and I know the same thing will happen. Now this is the third pair that has come apart at the soles. Why are you not correcting this problem!! I will start buying Rockport in the future. Do something about this problem or get it off the market! Another customer lost...

• Ae
      19th of Oct, 2009
    Best Best Advice +5 Votes

Sadly - I agree - my Clarks Originals sole disintegrated too.

• Po
      13th of Nov, 2009

I agree as well - stitching came apart, totally unwearable. Has anyone had any luck in contacting the Clark Company customer service for assistance?

• Ne
      18th of Nov, 2009

Clark's shoes used to be my favorite. I have bought several pairs, some from the UK and some from outside the UK. Unfortunately, all of the shoe soles disintegrated, the brand-new and the used ones. Calling Clark's international in the USA, they informed they do not warranty their shoes even the unused models. Only, they can offer a 30% coupon. Calling Clark's international in UK they asked to send them the shoes for inspection and then they will decide. However, it is unrealistic to send it back, it will be only academic to send it back since it will be very expensive since Clark's is not willing to pay for shipping. Sorry, to hear that this is how business has evolved over time specially for quality products!

I guess just absorb the cost and NEVER BUY Clark's again.

1st of Dec, 2009

CLARKS PROBLEMS SOLVED!!! FYI - I, too, have worn Clarks for years - sudddenly several pairs started falling apart just below the stitching on the rubbery material. I've also had some crack open on the bottom. Clearly a manufacturing defect. HOWEVER, I called Clarks 800-624-7463 and requested an RMA. They are sending me a label to return the 4 defective pairs I know of and will replace them with the shoes of my choice!!! They told me to go online and pick them out and send a note in the box. I'm going home tonight to inspect all the remaining pairs in my closet and so are my friends. The Clarks rep told me they had some defective material in these older shoes and that the problem doesn't exist in the new ones. We'll find out!

• Di
      22nd of Jan, 2010

I was very disappointed how mine disintegrated in a matter of hours yesterday, albeit I have owned them for over ten years. This forum allowed me the information to call Clarks USA, pick out another pair of mules (mine was no longer available) and promised delivery by next Friday. All I can say is there few other companies that would honor their product like that, forget Nike or some other big name. I am impressed with their attitude and plan to shop online for another pair just because I know they stand behind their product.

18th of Feb, 2010

Follow up from Clarks' Lover - when i called 12/1 and they promised to send the a return label, etc, HOWEVER, never received anything. Called again today, and mysteriously they had no record of my previous call. They took down all the information (up to 6 pairs now all falling apart in the same manner - stiching attached to rubbery soles detached). This time, the cust. service agent was much less agreeable about the returns. Although he is promising to send me a label to arrive within 10 days, tried to blame it on the age of the shoe. Since they all have the same exact problem, (and so many other people have experienced the same thing) it seems to clearly be a defect in the materials or manufacturing. We'll see what happens.

• Be
      20th of Feb, 2010

I have been writing Clarks for several months to obtain replacement shoes for two expensive pairs that fell apart. Inside the sole, the structure had completely disintegrated. I have probably owned 20 pairs of Clarks over the years, and presently have five pairs in my wardrobe. Clarks ' inappropriately named 'Customer Service', couldn't care less. I am extremely disappointed and believe that they should stand behind their products.

• Cb
      9th of Mar, 2010

I just made a comment about my sole splitting. I called customer service, and they asked me for a number inside the shoe. I gave it to them, and they are sending me a new pair! The call only took 5 minutes.

18th of Mar, 2010

Final Followup from ClarksLover
    Hooray! Today I found a BIG box from Clarks on my front porch. Inside were SIX pairs of shoes, including 2 pairs of boots. I had sent in the 6 defective pairs of clogs and filled out the RGA form I received with my top list of replacements - size, color, style. I am THRILLED with the replacements. Thank you Clarks - only wish I had called sooner and could have included the pairs I threw in the trash, too!