Clarks ShoesSoles disintergrate

K

I am now on my FOURTH pair of Clarks that have soles that disintegrate. I've bought Clarks for years, but they will no longer be on my list. One pair had only been worn twice.

• Gl
    glamaK Aug 23, 2019

8/23/19 On Jury Duty this week. Pulled out a pair of Clark shoes from my closet to wear. The shoes are no more than 2 yrs old and maybe worn 4 times. Walking into the Courtroom I feel my heel go down. I look down and the heel of my left shoe was falling apart and falling all over the court room floor. I was so embarrassed. On lunch break, I headed to the nearest mall to purchase a new pair of shoes. While walking across the parking lot, my right shoe heel fell apart. I googled Clark shoes and found this site. Wow, If I had known this happens to their shoes within two years whether you wear then alot or not, I would never have bought this brand. I can tell you I am never purchasing Clark's again.

Comments

• Ne
    Never Clarks Jan 28, 2019

Clarks does not stand behind their shoe products. I was told by Clarks customer service the life time expectancy for their shoes is 3-5 years, whether you wear them or not. The rubber in their shoes liquifies and leaks all over my sock. Now the rubber has hardened and is crumbling big time. They claim the chemicals in the shoe are planet friendly. So therefore I have to deal with it or throw the whole pair of shoes in the landfill after minimal wear. Their lack of quality control defeats the purpose of planet friendly materials.

• Jj
    jjj333 Aug 31, 2017

Welcome to China shoes with inbuilt obsolescence timers, designed to force you to accept their buy & throw away mentality. They are now in control of all their products you buy. Their shoddy goods are now all designed with obsolescence timers. - What choice have you? None!! Thus, only true handymen are able to outsmart them.

• Mi
    Mimi kocevar Jul 13, 2017

I have bought Clark shoes for many years and have had exact same issue everyone is complaining about, my shoes soles disintegrated and shoe came apart. This has happened on four pair within the two years. I contacted customer service and all they are doing is sending me a 30% off coupon. I don't want that because I will never buy another Clark shoe. Also had a strap break on a pair of sandals, while at a bridal shower, which left me barefooted, and embarrassed. I made sure everyone knew this was a Clark shoe, poorly made. Seems like the company doesn't do a thing about it. I want a replacement.

Chris Raymond Jun 27, 2017

Clark should just file for bankruptcy. Seriously, like others, I have other shoes that are 10+ years old and have NEVER NEVER just had the bottom soles separate from the tops. In contrast, 4 pairs of Clarks or BORN did so, with minimal wearing.

To have a company disingenuously say this is "normal" aging of rubber is RUBBISH. Find a better manufacturer of rubber soles or go out of business.

• Jb
    jbsand Mar 29, 2017

Clark Shoes - soles disintegrate
    I have had the same problem with Clark Shoes, the rubber soles crumble.
    I wrote to Clark, and they told me this is normal aging of rubber.
    I tried to post a review and photes on the Clark web site and they said my review did not meet thiere guidelines. Here is t he photo.

• Ri
    Rickanna Sep 10, 2016

I just cleaned my closet out. Had several pairs of clarks in the back. I have not worn for a few years. They were a mess. Black sticky stuff falling apart all over the carpet. Top part of shoe excellent. Sole disintegrated or split in half. So disappointed. Clarks have always been a favorite because of comfort, style and quality. My hands were a sticky mess from the clean up. The carpet had to be cleaned as well.

• Wr
    Wrinkle2 (Laity) Aug 26, 2016

I have now had three pairs of Clarks sandals cracked and then disintegrate - the leather uppers are really great. Sorry Clarks you used to make really great shows but not any more - so will not be buying Clarks anymore. I am based in England.

Marilyn Hartman Mar 29, 2016

I recently bought 2 pair of Clark shoes & they are no longer the Clark shoes I have bought in the past. These shoes are so uncomfortable that I cannot wear them all day. What has happened to the Clark shoes I use to buy? These 2 pairs will be the last Clarks shoe I buy.
    Sincerely
    Marilyn Hartman

• Je
    Jeanie McAndrew Feb 22, 2016

I am having the same problem with Clarks shoes. On a pair of sandals, the entire soles disintegrated. Now the heels of a pair of winter booties that I only wear a few months a year have developed holes. The covering is gone and it is obvious that the heel is hollow. I haven't worn the shoes enough to cause this type of wear.The cost to repair the heels is $24. My shoe repairman says that this damage is due to cheap materials. Very disappointing.

• Se
    seester Oct 19, 2015

Just like everyone else my Clarks have fallen apart. The first thing they ask for when you call is the model number and date printed on the inside of the shoe so they can blame it on age and dry rot of the material. They say they have some, SOME?, shoes that are made of material that will dry rot after ten years. I'm not buying it.. One, because I have read complaints from people whose shoes were not that old and two, I have shoes that were stored in the same conditions, shoe boxes climate controlled closet, and are older than my Clarks that have no problem. Yes it may be dry rot but the real issue is they are using cheap material now compared to many years ago. They offered to send me a coupon. I declined. They have lost my trust and my respect so I will spend my money elsewhere. I now have two pieces of brand new looking useless leather. Why would I want to buy more.

• Je
    Jean Lamothe Aug 28, 2015

I have been having the same problem, mainly with my left shoe, I thought it was me, because I tend to walk on the outside of my heel, especially on the left foot. The last 2 pair only lasted about 3 weeks and I was walking way crooked. I thought it was me. My husband blamed my lack of proper footwear. These last ones were Similar, a Brinkely Jazz. Jean

• Ly
    Lynnmiss Apr 06, 2015

I wore my Clarks to church before realizing the soles were dissolving. I left and tracked rubber material all the way to my garage. I was truly embarrassed and disappointed because I really enjoyed walking in those shoes.

• Di
    Disappointed ware Jul 16, 2014

Unfortunately, the same thing happened this morning, I took out the sandals I hadn't worn since the beginning of the spring last year. When I walked from the parking deck of my office the soles began to crumble

Janlan12 Apr 17, 2014

I thought it was just me. This happened to four pairs of Clark's sandals. They were hardly worn and looked fine but when I started walking they crumbled. These shoes are too expensive to fall apart...ever!

Chris Bat Mar 15, 2014

I need the address to send a pair of clogs that fell apart to. Went to the shoemaker with them and he told me they were not fixable. Won't buy them anymore

• To
    tono11 Jan 20, 2014

Most shoes now use this hollow moulded soles which are useless. The look good and robust when you buy them and may look intact after use but they offer shock absorbancy. When you try in store the floor is not like outside so you think its ok. We should all demand better soles rather than this cheap Chinese rubbish. I think they use dyes and prints to make a shoe look good quality when actually its all cosmetic.

• Sh
    shoe hell Jan 02, 2014

Alot of shoes expensive brands included are using a polymer material which looks thick but is hollow and rubbish. They give no protection to the foot against the pavement and disintegrate easily. This rubbish is sent in container loads to flood the market. They look beautiful and resemble the shoes we used to buy but are a cheap immitation like most chinese rubbish. Thanks to them the uk factories closed down and now its impossible to get good shoes. Cheap or expensive the soles are all made the same so the price makes little difference. I dread shoe shopping as I cannot find a single decent pair for any amount of money.

• Rb
    R Bowman Dec 17, 2013

ok. I came here searching because I just put on a pair that seemed perfectly fine but by the time I got to work and walked around for 30 minutes i felt my shoe falling off. LITERALLY falling off. They had disintegrated. Really! I was leaving a trail of foams stuff everywhere i walked and they had split so badly in so many places that i had to take them off. I just purchased 2 new pairs of Clarks at a holiday sale adn i am seriously considering taking them back to the store. This is rediculous.

Jackie Bassett Dec 09, 2013

Just to add on to the complaint just issued by me... Although I'm in Australia, my clarks were purchased in the US.

Jackie Bassett Dec 09, 2013

For the past 4 weeks every pair of my clark sandals have been decomposing as I walk. The binding comes off leaving pieces of that black rubbery stuff all over. Then the soles seem to squish out, and start coming away from the stitching... then you notice that plactic is used to stitch. These sandals have not been worn much at all. I've thrown out 5 practically brand new pair in the past 4 weeks.
    Just put a pair on that I've worn twice, and they are crumbling away from my feet as I'm tryping this complaint. I'm not at all a happy camper. Clarks cost a lot of money... and I'm totally upset about this whole thing. Especially knowing that I've boxes more of clark sandals in boxes in the closet. I'm sure they will all have the same fate.

• Cc
    ccmez4 Oct 06, 2013

I had bought several pairs of Clark slip ons for work. Really liked them with no issues. the last time I bought them - I bought two pairs since I sometimes have problems finding my size. Both pairs - the sole split right on the ball area of my foot. I sent them an email since they say they will replace the shoes - no response - too bad - they used to be great shoes.

• Da
    Dawn Goodwin Oct 06, 2013

This also happened to my Dad. They were his favourite shoes and he had only worn them four times. He went out in them one night and found himself walking home bare footed as the soles just crumbled away from the leather upper. He believes it was the glue that caused this.

• Di
    disappointed0 Oct 06, 2013

I bought a pair of clarks, for the quality and comfort. I worn them may be five times over the years owning them. I wore them to work a few days ago. I was walking funny but didn't think of checking the sole. I got home and saw the the sole made of rubber, was hollow. It had left pieces of disintegrating sole at work, but I thoughtythey were dirt that I tracked in from the parking lot, as it rained that day and the parking lot is not paved. May I send them back for another pair?

• Su
    Susan J Konkel Mar 04, 2013

I have just had my second pair crack-up! I'm done!

noranlk Dec 06, 2012

soles of shoes just crumble away and have not been worn hardly at all

noranlk Dec 05, 2012

I too have the cracked crumbling soles-Made a mess of my carpet. The shoes look brand new but have no soles

• Po
    Pookie2 Jun 11, 2012

I have a pair of Clarks which I've only worn 4 times. But have owned them for 2 years. The sole seems to have disintegrated. I don't think it's a rubber sole, it's softer, squishier, maybe a polyurethane/rubber hybrid. Creepy and disappointing

• Wv
    WV Maven Jun 05, 2012

I have three pairs of Clarks. The two older pair are fine. The sole separated from the upper in last pair I bought. The uppers are perfect but the rubber in the soles is rotten.

• Ti
    Timothy Mann Apr 13, 2012

I had two pairs of Clarks shoes that the sole literally "fell off" from the rest of one of the shoes.

I sent an email of complaint to Clarks (and while this sort of defect should never happen in *any* pair or brand of shoe!), I was contacted by a customer service representative, and she replaced both pairs with my choice of brand new shoes -- no questions asked!

One of the pairs had a stock/style number that she couldn't pull up in her computer, I guess because they were so old (but still in "otherwise" excellent condition).

Again, while this type of defect seems to be all-too-common with Clarks (per online searches), being offered brand new shoes without having to even return the defective pairs is unheard of in this day and age.

Spending $150 or more on a pair of shoes that are constructed so poorly that this is a common problem seems ridiculous. I don't know if I will ever purchase another pair of Clarks.. I'll have to see how these new shoes do.

But backing their product like this is a good start at building back me as a return customer!

Timothy Mann

• Ca
    Carolyn Nufer Jan 11, 2012

My hardly worn Clark clogs fell apart. I put them on & the sole separated from the shoe. The right on is showing indications that the same problem exists. I'm glad I was in the home when this happened.

• Ju
    Julie 4890 Nov 27, 2011

I had 2 pair of Clarks clogs that I wore all the time, and they lasted 10 years before they finally fell apart. I bought a pair of Clarks a year ago that are still beautiful on the top, but the heels are hollow and are falling apart. I made sure when I bought this last pair that they still had the softer heels... the pair I bought before that had hard heels that were uncomfortable, and started coming apart after I wore them a few times. I will never buy Clarks again. Why did they ruin these great shoes??????

Masonjar Oct 02, 2011

Bought a pair of Clark boots...just as I was really getting to like them (Break in period) both soles cracked in half.These were not cheap boots. Brought them to a shoe repair place and the gentleman said he see's lots of them and that they are garbage.He couldn't do anything with them. DO NOT BUY CLARKS!

• Ti
    Tim Duddy Apr 06, 2011

I always buy Clarks shoes for the quality and value they offer. I have had problem with soles disintegrating but it has only happened when the shoes are rarely worn. I have never had a problem with shoes that are worn everyday. Tim Duddy.

• Yt
    ytteb Jan 02, 2011

I was wearing my Clarks slip ins & started to walk & the whole bottom ripped off

• Le
    Leah Wilson Dec 14, 2010

I would like to know what ever happened to customer satisfaction ? I have had this pair of Clarks for a while, I may have had them on my feet a half a dozen times.I was getting ready to go for a Drs. appointment I put these shoes on and walked to my kitchen I looked at myself to make sure everything was kosher I looked down and the sole of my shoe had split on the bottom along the left side and was just hanging there.What is this ?

• Gl
    glendaj Oct 26, 2010

unfortunately two pairs of mens clarks shoes have cracked in half on the soul. fantastic shoes otherwise but this sure seems a defect. is the company fixing them? they are otherwise perfect shoes.

• Fu
    fultonwhyme Aug 11, 2010

I too have Clarks with defective soles, and I agree with all of the above. Does any have a phone number so we can get them replaced. It was posted on the internet, and I failed to write it down! They made my first pair good. I'd didn't think it would happen again.
    fultonwhyme

• Jr
    j.r.p. Feb 06, 2010

soles cracked in half after little wear..will not buy clarks any more

• Ca
    CAR57 Oct 27, 2009

I too have a lovely pair of Clarks Mary Janes only worn indoors at work. Uppers in great shape, still deep tread pattern in heel. One day at work, both shoes just came apart from the soles. soles were cracked. Clearly a problem with the quality of the rubber used. Made in Brazil. Ironic, Clarks site refers you to resole.com, but resole says can't fix them b/c Clarks will not sell them replacement soles. Totally sucks--this style of shoe no longer made by anyone! Ridiculous. Will not buy Clarks again after reading this!

• Cj
    Cjilliego Aug 05, 2019

@CAR57 Same with mine. Both shoes disintegrated exactly at the same time. This is “planned obsolescence “
    Too bad that our next pair will be a competitor.