Citibank / fraudulent practices

Through an credit alert I found an account had been opened in my name with Citibank, and with Spectrum CBSD; neither of which I had requested.When I called Citibank, they said they had no account in my name despite I had an account number to give them. I felt especially warm & fuzzy when they asked for my SSN.

I have never heard of Spectrum before this. Apparently they don't work on Saturdays. I don't know where to go from here, other than writing a letter to these agencies, as well as to all the credit-reporting agencies.

Ro

Comments

• Va
      15th of Oct, 2008

Earlier this year, I was approved for a student loan from Citibank. There were 2 disbursements scheduled, the first one in January and the second one in May 2008. I used the first one, but then I started attending less than part time, which made me ineligible for the second disbursement, and the school subsequently canceled it. However, Citibank denies the cancellation and holds me liable for the second disbursement. I have a statement from HESC (Higher Education Services) that shows the cancellation, yet Citibank continues standing its grounds. I paid off the first disbursement in full, but this is not good enough. Citibank holds me liable for the balance that was canceled. My numerous calls to the customer service, letters, even BBB complaint have gotten me precisely nowhere. Too bad I don't live in the state where Citibank is located; I would have filed a complaint in the court of law in no time. This can ruin my credit history, let alone my potential future student loans. At this point, I don't know what else I can do, but to post on this site.

Everybody, beware of Citibank's practices.