Chase Mortgage / misapplied funds caused me credit reporting errors

1 United States

Incident
I was selling my home and it was closing on 21 July 2010. My payment was due 15 July, so I waited until closing since the payoff was sent for. The closing was pushed off until 31 July. I called Chase and told them the circumstances and they told me that if it didn't close, that I could spread the payment missed through the next six months and that my next payment wouldn't be due until 1 September. I said OK, let's do that since I was selling anyway. The sale fell through. I waited a week into August to find out if the buyer was going to figure out alternate financing. During this week, I was called several times by Chase, sent a foreclosure notice and they even went by my home and put a sticker on it saying it was vacant and charged me over $100 in fees. With all of this harassment, I decided not to wait any longer and made my catchup payments for July & August making me current. The harassment didn't stop. I couldn't figure out why until I received September bill and they didn't apply my payment to the Mortgage payments. They put it into principle only payments and had me as 2 months overdue. On 17 August (two weeks after my payment) they sent a negative notice to the credit reporting agencies that I was 30 days past due. I have perfect credit. They messed up my payments and I've never been late on any payments EVER! Why are they allowed to do this? Why can't I do anything about it? I'm not someone who is a credit risk and now my credit report shows that I am. If I could leave them, I would, but I'm stuck. I don't want to pay several thousand dollars to finance with another bank who may eventually sell it to Chase again!

Damage Resulting
They damaged my credit report and stressed me out a lot. I'm serving in the military and was in the middle of a permanent change of station while this was happening. It wasn't like I was being a deadbeat.