Charter One Bank / fees and policies

1 MI, United States Review updated:

I'll give credit where it's due - the tellers are always friendly to me.

Other than that - the management, policies, national customer service, and fees - this as the worst I've ever used. They charge $39 for each overdraft, and submit the largest charge first to maximize the number of charges. They offer an on-line balance, but it is not accurate. Everything is calculated off another balance that they have access to but you don't.

I was recently charged $117 in overdraft fees, though the website shows funds were available. When I called to ask about it, the representative in North Carolina had to put me on hold three times and still couldn't explain it. I asked for his manager, who identified himself as Kendon Barretta. Mr. Barretta told me that the site clearly states that the balance is not accurate (it doesn't) and berated me for spending money I didn't have!

When I asked for his supervisor, he said "I am the manager." Okay, I can play that game - "Let me talk to someone who has more authority than you do." I asked "That's me." I had to laugh out loud.

I'm joining a Credit Union.

Comments

21st of Jan, 2010

They are crooks at Charter One Bank. Deposits disappear. They charge overdraft and insufficient funds fees when the money is in the account. They tell fees for services will certain services, such as overdraft protection will charge a year after the start date, then turn around and charge you 2 months later. They rob you, then have the audacity to get nasty with you for complaining.

I have been banking with them for 6 years. In the past year or so, ever since the banks took bailouts, they have been ripping me off. They are getting their bailout from me and other customers. I am closing my account. DO NOT BANK WITH CHARTER ONE.

4th of Feb, 2010

There is a special place in hell for Charter One bank! They are scamming rip off merchants.