[Resolved] Cell C / sim swap

South Africa

I was robbed and I lost everything including my phone, ID and license. I was left stranded a stranger assisted me get a new cell c sim so I could do a sim swap and access my money from the bank. I called cell c and the lady wanted cell phone numbers I recently dialed, I could not remember because I lost my phone which has all the numbers and then she asked for the date on which I recharged I honestly do not remember but I knew it was an amount of R5 or R10. She then told me that my info was incorrect and that she will not do my swap (very rude) I then travelled more than 100km to get a cell c store, they wanted an affidavit after I gave them they just said my SIM card is registered in another person's name. I have been using cell c for more than 9 years whenever they call or send messages they address me as my name and not the registered person they are claiming is the owner of the sim. This is not the first time I did a swap but it is the first time I have had such a hard time on the same number. Both the consultants on the phone and in person could not assist and both of them could not even give me a solution as to what I should do. I have dealt with cell c's crapy network and connection without even complaining and after all these years they are the reason why I am still stranded and sleeping in people's houses. Asking for people's phone to make calls and lookin like I am crazy all because for more than 9 whole years they have been offering me contracts and deals on a number they are now claiming is registered in another persons name. I was broken and I cried enough on the day I was robbed and cell c is just being the most painful of all the things I went through. The first time I did the sim swap I was never told of anything like this.
Cell C gives the worst service with grumpy consultants and the weakest network. I regret the day I ever chose to use this nonsense, my entire life is a mess all because of the lowest rated network on earth.

• Resolution statement

• Cell C Customer Care's Response, Feb 06, 2019

Dear Ms. Kubheka

Thank you for reaching out to Cell C.

As per RICA legislation we can only assist you with a SIM swap if the number is in your name and was being actively used by you. You also need to pass the mandatory security check before we can action the SIM swap for you. There is a lot of fraud when it comes to SIM swaps and that is why we take the necessary steps to protect you as the customer as well as Cell C.

Kindly email us your contact details on [protected]@cellc.co.za so that we can discuss the matter further with you.

^NS