[Resolved] Carnival Cruise Lines / liberty

Merritt Island, FL, United States

I am writing in regards to my family, friends, and relatives cruise on Carnival’s Liberty out of Port Canaveral, Florida on June 01-04/2017.
To celebrate my only daughter’s high school graduation, I purchased three ocean front balcony cabins to accommodate my daughter, her two friends (cabin 1), myself, wife, and son (cabin 2), and my in laws (cabin 3) at a cost of $4, 300.00. This may not be a large sum of money to some, but I saved for nine months to pay for this cruise. We also had my wife’s sister and her husband in a 4th cabin.
As we have previously sailed on Carnival twice, the Disney ships twice and several times on Port Canaveral’s Premier Cruise Lines (now defunct), I thought I knew what I was in for. I was wrong.
We had big plans for our stay in Nassau; Golf, deep sea fishing, Atlantis, visiting friends I have meet through my job in Port Canaveral. All were part of our plans until we found out that the Liberty would only be docked from 10a.m. to 6 p.m. Passengers could not disembark until 10:45 and when we did manage to get off the ship at 11:30 a.m., I asked Carnival ground personal when we should be back at the ship. I was given answers ranging from “I don’t know, “4pm”, 4:30pm”, “5pm”, and “if you are late the ship will leave without you”. We sailed all the way to the Bahamas to be at the only Port of Call for five hours?
Let me regress. The last time I sailed with Carnival, the ship arrived at 10 a.m. Friday and you had to return to the ship by 5 a.m. Saturday morning, a stay of 19 hours in port. Thinking I might be confused, I contacted my travel agent about the time Carnival stays in Nassau. She confirmed that it did in fact used to dock those hours but “that changed a few years ago”.
As we had so little time in Port and didn’t want the ship to, in the words of your staff, “leave without us”, we did virtually nothing in Nassau. Some vacation!
But I had to ask myself why so little time in Port? We were originally booked on Carnival’s Valor and that ship was swapped with the Liberty because the Liberty was a slower ship and the Valor would replace a slower ship on a Mexican destination. A possible explanation but not really. The Liberty took approximately 16 hours (5 p.m. Thursday until 9 a.m. Friday) to get to Nassau. To return to Port Canaveral it took 35 hours (6 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Sunday) to return to Port Canaveral.
The Liberty was at Sea Saturday doing slow circles or idling and still I wondered why. Why would passengers no longer have that 10 p.m. to 5 a.m opportunity to experience Nassau?
I believe I know why. Someone in the corporate office realized those additional 11 hours were time passengers could spend in Nassau’s bars, gift shops and casinos. By cutting the time passengers spend in Nassau by eleven hours, that is time they would spending money in Carnivals’ bars, gifts shops, and casinos. Plus, that is 11 hours Carnival would not have to pay dockage to Nassau. Is this my imagination?
I probably could have let all this go as poor planning on my part, but there is a kicker to the story. My wife has diligently taught mentally handicapped children for 23 years in Brevard County Schools here in Florida. She loves her job and loves her students even more. I mentioned to her that I was impressed with the accommodations that I witnessed on the ship that you make for children and adults with disabilities. Guess what? I suggest to my wife to go to the Liberty’s comedy show. We were very aware of the R rating but to our surprise Mr. Macy belittled children with disabilities. I don’t know if she was more appalled by the comedian or the fact that his delivery had 100’s of adults laughing at his insensitivity to persons with disabilities. Do you call this a “fun ship” vacation? Put yourself in our shoes. How do you plan to rectify this?

• Resolution statement

• Carnival Cruise Lines Customer Care's Response, Jun 28, 2017

Thank you for sharing this guest’s comments with us.

Of course, we’re glad that they were able to sail to the Bahamas with us. I’m not able to address their specific issue without their name and booking information, but I can provide the following general information.

I’m sorry they were disappointed with the time spent in Nassau during our visit there. The ports-of-call are a big part of a cruise vacation, and our plans are always made with the goal of providing our guests with a fun, memorable vacation. We balance factors like travel time and port availability, to allow our guests to enjoy both their time on board and their time ashore.

We work hard to provide our guests with complete, accurate information about our itineraries, so they’ll know exactly what to expect. To that end the schedule is published on our website, and also included on the confirmation emails that go out prior to sailing. Nonetheless, I’m sorry the wires got crossed this time.

I’m also sorry that these guests were offended by the comedy show, and found some of the material inappropriate. We understand that the content of various “R” rated comedy shows may be offensive to some folks but, we’re very sorry if one of our performers crossed the line when it came to special needs kids. Our aim is to provide all guests with a fun and memorable experience, so we appreciate that the guest has brought this to our attention.

It's discouraging for us to learn that these guests have returned home so disappointed with their cruise. However, I can assure you that the quality vacation we promise is the normal experience aboard a Carnival cruise. I hope that they’ll sail with us again soon, so we can have the chance to earn back their confidence.

Sincerely,