Capital One / dispute resolved years ago

33771 w shore drPolson, MT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 406-883-0809
While living in Mexico in 2001 I had a Capital One credit card. I did not use it for over a year. I received in the mail a membership fee charge for $50.that was due the week before I received the notice. I tried to telephone Capital One but the only number on the card was an 800 nimber that was unusable outside the country. there was no other number. Plus it would cost me $3.00 a minute to call the US to try to find a number for them. I sent a letter and the cut up card cancelling my capital one account. I kept receiving letters of nonpayment with fees attached. I called capial one many times during this dispute, at $3.00 per minute. I finally sent them the original membership fee, though the account was cancelled, and they would call it even. Capital One said the problem was resolved. When I returned to the states in November 2002, my credit rating was bad because Capital One now had a $295.00 fee on my credit report based on that $50.00 membership fee. I had to put my first home mortgage in my wife's name due to this, only blemish at the time on my credit report. I called capital one. they apoligized profusely and said it was a gross misunderstanding and guaranteed me that they would take this, their error, off my credit report. This was in 2002 or early 2003. I considered the matter closed until I received my credit report from Experian with this $295 charge from a collection agency all stemming from a $50.00 membership fee for a card I cancelled and had not used for a year prior. This has been a nightmare. Can you help me resolve this matter? Sincere thanks, Steve

Comments

Ox
  16th of Apr, 2011
Capital One has a credit bureau disputes division, it sounds like human error occurred at C1 and your original cancellation was not completed. I advise everyone who closes an account to double check twice because paperwork can take two months and interest charges take 60 days to completely cycle. You can also dispute the report directly with the credit bureaus (the will send forms to be completed), the debt is so old it should not be there anyway. It also should have a small effect on your score so you may have other issues so I would recommend brushing up on everything that is on your credit reports. It is too bad you did not call the free international number for Cap one when you were back in Mexico but I guess you did not have access to Google in the town you were at.

btw, customer service reps are people. Yelling or getting angry gets them flustered and causes them to make mistakes. When you call Cap one to request a credit bureau dispute the first agent you speak to may not have experienced that request as they are rare. If they have trouble assisting you just politely ask to be transfered to a supervisor. And be patient, the people who handle rare problems usually have long hold times because they have to take more detailed notes etc so if you are next in line you may have a lengthy hold time.
Hopefully this helps.