The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website
Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In

Capital One Bank / abandoned property

1 New Hyde Park, NY, United States Review updated:

I had a 3 year Cd with Green Point SAvings of New Hyde Park that expired in Feb 06'. I received a letter at the time that it would autorenew for 3 years with the new Bank at that time, North Fork. So, it would renew with a new expiration of Feb 2009. Since then this Bank was acquired by CApital One.

I received a letter from CApital One listing this account as "unclaimed property" and that it was going to go to the proprety of NY state. The letter looked very shady, with no real name, or phone number, only a PO Box address in Laurel NY, with a claim i must complete a form and get it notarized or funds would go to the State. Beware of this if you get such a letter. A few weeks later my name appered in an unclaimed listing in the paper . I checked with the bank who claimed my account is fine.. Very strange. If you get such a letter, try calling the customer service number for Capital One which is conveniently left off. [protected]. Also, the NY State unclaimed number is [protected]

Sort by: DownDate | Rating


  • Sh
      10th of Sep, 2014
    0 Votes

    I also received a letter from Capitol One stating they were holding $3, 000.00 from a acquired bank I once had and listing a phone number that is a recording. I can't seem to get any answers from them and they never turned it over to the state as required by law. Something smells really bad at Capitol One, , , , What's in your wallet?

  • Ja
      16th of Sep, 2008
    +1 Votes

    I am really irritated with ACS Property Recovery & Reporting. My mortgage company was sold to another large mortgage company and I was to have a check reissued. I waited for 2 years being told that it was issued and that it couldn't be reissued and then I have gotten this letter out of the blue but convientely they will not talk to customers calling in even though there is a phone number listed in the letter to call for questions. This is a bunch of crap! I am going to file a complaint with the attorney General in MN tomorrow. I will also try the 1 800 numbers that the last person posted here.

Post your comment