Menu

R
Author of the complaint
4:46 pm
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased a FORD Explorer and took Capital One Auto Financing in 2010. We paid off in 2012. In 2014 we were going to sell the car but could not find the Title document. We went to the Texas DVM to get a replacement title. The DMV informed us that there is a lien on the vehicle and cannot process the Title document. I found out the lien was still held by Capital One. They never released the lien since 2012 after we paid off. My wife called Capital One in 2016 to request for the lien release to be sent to me in the mail. We would need original document of release. The Capital One staff refused to complete the transaction to surrender the title unless I make the request personally. I am overseas. Why do they have to hold on to the lien even when we have paid off on the car 4 years ago? Why can't they send the release automatically to me after we paid off? Why do they have to make it so difficult?

Helpful? 0 0

More Capital One complaints & reviews

Capital One - terrible experience
Capital One - harassing calls
Capital One - false winner of a shoppers sweepstakes
15 comments
S
Mar 21, 2022 4:46 pm

I had a credit card through Capital One. I had to file bankruptcy because I lost my job. My car was already paid off in which I did not purchase through them. I recently found out that they have placed a lien on my title to the car. I've had my car since 1999 and was looking to trade it in. I can't find my title and called the DMV for a duplicate and that's when I found out that there is a lien on the title and they need a release from them. I called the company that placed the lien and asked them to send me the information that they have and have not heard from them. The company is LVNV Funding LLC. This is outrageous. I will never open an account with them again.

Sep 28, 2021 4:46 pm

We bought a Subaru Forester in December 2013; my parents both died 6 days apart in early February, 2014 and I paid off the car loan in full. As an only child I was a grief-stricken mess for quite some time and simply never noticed whether we received the title or not. Seven years later now, I apply for a duplicate title from the DMV and there is STILL a lien on the car. Calling Cap One only referred me to MyTitleSupport.com but they only show a lien is still attached. I have proof from my bank as to the payment but can't seem to get anyone at Cap One to listen to me.

Sep 28, 2021 4:46 pm

I'm ready to contact the WV Attorney General; as a senior citizen Mr. Morrissey will listen to me.

Jun 29, 2021 4:46 pm

Does anyone have a success story that will work for us? I want to sell this car, but can not due to C1 holding the lien release letter

J
Jun 16, 2021 4:46 pm

I paid off my auto loan with Capital One in 2020, and waited for the title to arrive by mail. It never did. I called them, and they said they sent it by mail a couple weeks after I paid it off. So I guess telling me that absolves them of any further responsibility? After paying it off, I kept a close eye on the mail specifically looking for the title for months, but I never saw it. Now I need to acquire a lien release from a 3rd party company they connected me to, which costs $100. Seems like a scam to me.

Jun 29, 2021 4:46 pm

I, too, have been waiting since 3/6/21 for my lien release letter. I paid $30 to mytitle.com, a suggestion by someone in the title department, but they returned it saying Capital One was sending it. I asked them if this is a situation that I need to get an attorney to contact them...and was assured no. I may attempt mytitle.com again of I don't receive it this week. I also contacted the DMV in TN to see if it showed clear, and was told no. Idk what else to do?

May 13, 2021 4:46 pm

I refinanced my car with Capital One in December of 2020. I have been making payments to Capital One since January 28th 2021 with an additional $300 per month going toward the principle. Fast forward to April 2021. I was in the process of selling my vehicle to Carvana, but they had to halt the sale due to Capital One never getting the lien switched over to their name from Nissan. I have contacted Capital One several times since April 6th, the day it was suppose to be sold asking what the hold up was with getting the lien switched over. The funniest one was when they told me they had to wait until the DMV contacted them to make the switch smh. Another one told me that they sent the paperwork in on March 30th and to wait until May 11 to call back. I contacted the DMV on May 12th and was told they have no record. I called Capital One today May 13th and was told it was still being processed, but I had them check a little further and found that it still had not been sent out after all this time. I don't know what more I can do. This situation is ridiculous. I can't sale my vehicle until Capital One does what they were suppose to do back in January. Never refinance with Capital One, they just keep dropping and making excuses.

R
Aug 04, 2020 4:46 pm

Do not! I repeat, do not! finance through Capitol One! My husband and I paid off truck loan and they have been giving us the runaround for a month! The title is in the mail. I guess it takes 21 days now for regular mail in the U.S. I called to talked to them about the issue and I asked to speak to someone in charge and I was told to relax! I’m sorry, not sorry but they are disgusting and should no longer be in business.

Sep 28, 2021 4:46 pm

Did you get any relief? I just found out my auto was paid in full on 2/24/14 and they still haven't sent title...according to DMW still has lien attached.

Jun 29, 2021 4:46 pm

I am about to ask title department for their resolution department. I am reading so many issues with Capital One in this forum! #CapitalOne Title Department sucks!

M
Jan 09, 2020 4:46 pm

I paid off my car loan on August 2019, and still haven't received my car title yet. What I have read here a lot of people are having the same problem. I have never had this problem in all the years that I have bought car's from my local bank's. I probably will never use Capital One again, and will close out my credit card with them.

Jun 29, 2021 4:46 pm

I paid of my other vehicle on a Monday, and received the title that Friday.

F
Jan 18, 2019 4:46 pm

I am in the same situation. My vehicle was paid off in 2013 and Capital One is giving me the run around about my title as well. This company is horrible. Why hold on to a title that is not theirs? I have never had this problem with any other company.

A
Aug 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Hello I brought a car from a friend I sent for the title and it has a lein on it from this bank so i call capital one and they said it wasn't one, please contact me at 7722365385michael singleton.

Y
May 19, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm having the same problem with getting my title. I paid the car off a decade ago and want to sell it. The DMV said I have to get the title from them. They keep lying to me and saying they sent it, but it never gets here. Do I need to hire a lawyer? What is everyone else doing about this?

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

723 complaints