Capital One Auto Financetitle department lien release

R

I purchased a FORD Explorer and took Capital One Auto Financing in 2010. We paid off in 2012. In 2014 we were going to sell the car but could not find the Title document. We went to the Texas DVM to get a replacement title. The DMV informed us that there is a lien on the vehicle and cannot process the Title document. I found out the lien was still held by Capital One. They never released the lien since 2012 after we paid off. My wife called Capital One in 2016 to request for the lien release to be sent to me in the mail. We would need original document of release. The Capital One staff refused to complete the transaction to surrender the title unless I make the request personally. I am overseas. Why do they have to hold on to the lien even when we have paid off on the car 4 years ago? Why can't they send the release automatically to me after we paid off? Why do they have to make it so difficult?

• Ri
    Rita Ericsson Aug 04, 2020

Do not! I repeat, do not! finance through Capitol One!!! My husband and I paid off truck loan and they have been giving us the runaround for a month! The title is in the mail. I guess it takes 21 days now for regular mail in the U.S. I called to talked to them about the issue and I asked to speak to someone in charge and I was told to relax!!! I’m sorry, not sorry but they are disgusting and should no longer be in business.

Mary Venyard Jan 09, 2020

I paid off my car loan on August 2019, and still haven't received my car title yet. What I have read here a lot of people are having the same problem. I have never had this problem in all the years that I have bought car's from my local bank's. I probably will never use Capital One again, and will close out my credit card with them.

• Fr
    Fraustrated Comsumer Jan 18, 2019

I am in the same situation. My vehicle was paid off in 2013 and Capital One is giving me the run around about my title as well. This company is horrible. Why hold on to a title that is not theirs? I have never had this problem with any other company.

• 17
    1771 Aug 29, 2018

Hello I brought a car from a friend I sent for the title and it has a lein on it from this bank so i call capital one and they said it wasn't one, please contact me at 7722365385michael singleton.

• Yo
    Yogi Bear BooBoo May 19, 2018

I'm having the same problem with getting my title. I paid the car off a decade ago and want to sell it. The DMV said I have to get the title from them. They keep lying to me and saying they sent it, but it never gets here. Do I need to hire a lawyer? What is everyone else doing about this?