Canadian Tire / automotive service

1 Robertson RoadOttawa, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I and my Mother took her 2001 Focus into Cdn. Tire because the parking brake was not working. Car was dropped off at 10:15 in the morning. Cdn. Tire did not call my cell to give us a price for repair until 1:45 p.m. At that time they told us the price would be $1065.89. We were in shock and rushed as quickly as possible back to the shop. Cdn. Tire said there was other things wrong with the car, like the rear breaks needed shoes, there was a leaking break cylinder and a front bearing needed to be replaced. They rushed us because it was now nearly 2:30 in the afternoon. My 72 year-old mother authorized them to work on it, trusting them, that they were not ripping her off. Two weeks later, the parking brake failed. At that time, I looked the bill over thoroughly and realized that although they worked on the car for 2-1/2 hours, they charged my Mother 7-1/4 hours labor which was $635.31!! I have been fighting with them all week to refund my Mom the 5 hours labor they stole from her!!! I have been lied to, yelled at, avoided and put off, in a word abused in my battle to protect my Mother! I went to the Ministry of Government services site and read that they have to explain labor charges and how they are calculated on the invoice. Canadian Tire just says they have implemented the "Mitchell" system of pre-determined hours for a job and that is just the way it is, too bad so sad. Well, My Mom, my family or anyone I know has heard of this system and it was not explained on the bill. I'm not sure what I will do next, but Cdn. Tire should not be able to get away with this scam!! They are the most hateful group of people I have ever run across and are determined they won't give an inch. No one would care that my 72 year old Mother, on her old-age pension, will have to find a way to pay for all this work and labor hours that were never put in... not to mention a corrupt system that allows a 2-1/2 job to be billed as a 7.14 hour job!!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Va

Comments

• Ro
      19th of Nov, 2008

I had the most miserable experience with the Canadian Tire Auto Service Department at 1200 Seguin Drive, Coquitlam, BC (604) 527-8832 today, Wednesday, November 19, 2008. I had a complete front brake job done (rotors, calipers, shoes and hoses) for about $1000.00 two weeks ago and again, they dinged me triple the amount of labour that it took. The labor was more than all the parts that were installed ($600 plus dollars). Well, after this job my truck is now pulling to the left, which it didn't before the brake job. I tell the service manager there at 9 AM (some Oriental guy who has a manger sign on his shirt) that I got a $1000.00 brake job there and now my truck is pulling to the left. He brings up my work on the computer and then immdiately says that it will cost me $30.00 to look at it. I was amazed!!! I said to him, " You want me to pay you $30.00 to look at my truck because I now have steering problems after the brake job done at your store?". He had already printed out the work order and was pushing for me to sign the repair slip so he could ding me more money. His attitude was so smug, like he already had my money and ha-ha, sucks to be you reply. I almost jumped over the counter to punch this creep out. I demanded that he look at it and let me observe so I can see how good the job was. He refused, and so I asked to speak with the store manager. The store manager then came and backed up the auto manager (at the time telling me to contact the BBB, if I wasn't happy). Canadian tire will never get another dollar of my business ever, they are so-o-o-o rude!!! Canadian Tire sucks, never go to their auto service, unless you want to get ripped off!!! CANADIAN TIRE SUX, especially the store in Coquitlam at 1200 Seguin Drive, Coquitlam, BC (604) 527-8832...

• Su
      12th of Dec, 2009

Thank You all for the very concise reports on price, repair and service. I was honestly just going to take my car there to have the brakes inspected, and most likely have new pads installed, but after reading the comments and stories, not only will I not be EVER taking it there but I will make sure to pass on the message to everyone else I know.

Sorry that I had to learn from your hardships though :(

• Dv
      3rd of Jun, 2010

This is an old thread but just an FYI to the folks out there:

My brother in law is a mechanic. He said that the system car repair services use take into account that mechanics work on the cars without power tools. Of course even the smallest of shops use power tools. That's why they can bill you 7-1/4 hours for 2-1/2 hours actual work.

I think all car service companies do this. Unless you have a friend mechanic who does work on your car outside the shop, you're out of luck. My car gets serviced by my brother-in-law in his garage and you could actually see his hours are much less than what car service companies estimate.

• Dv
      3rd of Jun, 2010

Just one other thing - if you drop off your car and their shuttle service is not available, they can call a cab for you and they can give you a charge slip so you don't have to pay for the cab. A friendly cab driver told me this because he was surprised I was paying cash.

• Op
      10th of Dec, 2010

You apparently lack the knowledge and ability it takes to make it in what most people call, "Reality", better known as, "The Real World". Just for your own knowledge, the flat rate system is used by shops all over the world to ensure everyone is charged a fair price for all work based on accepted industry labour times. The actual time to do the work is irrelevant. Perhaps next time you are in a Canadian Tire store picking up some corn cob pipes or maybe some turkey jerky to feed your illicit children, maybe you would like to stop by their tool department and pick up a tool kit so that you can experience first hand what a pleasure it is to repair an ageing, decrepit hillbilly mover like a Ford Focus while at the same time being so wonderfully appreciated by the Rube owner who clearly has a lower I.Q. than she does teeth.