British Airways / luggage debacle
My wife and I recently flew British Air (BA2192 - May 4, 2007) from Dallas to Gatwick, London. Going over we checked three suitcases, and took on board two small wheeled-suitcases that fit nicely in the overhead.
On our return flight (BA 2193) from Gatwick, we checked four suitcases. However, as we proceeded to the boarding gate, BAA (airport authority) inspectors asked us to place our two wheeled-suitcases in the dimensional box to make sure they qualified as carry-ons.
They fit, however, the wheels protruded so they forced us to check both carry-ons as excess baggage at a combined cost of US$483! These were the very same suitcases that traveled in the overhead bins on the flight over at no charge.
British Air has not responded to my inquiries, and BA workers at the excess baggage counter referred us to the BAA who cited "increased security concerns" which had nothing to do with baggage sizes.
Our otherwise fine visit to the U.K. was marred by this shocking demand for exorbitant costs. Needless to say, we will never fly British Air again with manhandling like this.
Astoria, South Dakota, USA.
More British Airways Complaints & Reviews
- British Airways Courier Company Limited - recd. fraud e-mail 
- British Airways - very poor ba experience 
- British Airways - disgraceful customer service 
- British Airways - ba - still waiting for my delayed baggage! 
- British Airways - contemptuous and unprofessional customers treatment 
- British Airways - baggage damage
- British Airways - luggage damage after landing in london 
- British Airways - air ticket I purchased
- British Airways - I was denied boarding
- British Airways - unethical behaviour and loss on my part