British Airways / luggage debacle

My wife and I recently flew British Air (BA2192 - May 4, 2007) from Dallas to Gatwick, London. Going over we checked three suitcases, and took on board two small wheeled-suitcases that fit nicely in the overhead.

On our return flight (BA 2193) from Gatwick, we checked four suitcases. However, as we proceeded to the boarding gate, BAA (airport authority) inspectors asked us to place our two wheeled-suitcases in the dimensional box to make sure they qualified as carry-ons.

They fit, however, the wheels protruded so they forced us to check both carry-ons as excess baggage at a combined cost of US$483! These were the very same suitcases that traveled in the overhead bins on the flight over at no charge.

British Air has not responded to my inquiries, and BA workers at the excess baggage counter referred us to the BAA who cited "increased security concerns" which had nothing to do with baggage sizes.

Our otherwise fine visit to the U.K. was marred by this shocking demand for exorbitant costs. Needless to say, we will never fly British Air again with manhandling like this.

Wayne Specht,
Astoria, South Dakota, USA.

Comments

Ha
  18th of Jun, 2007

I would like to strongly compliant about British Airways and their partners “Antler Ltd” the "luggage company", I traveled from Geneva to London in May 07 and my luggage was damaged during my trip with BA, Antler Ltd has handles replacement of Luggage very very badly with their dishonest drivers, BA believes that Antler are wonderful and I am in between, I complained to the Customer service departments 10 days ago in a letter addressed to Maxine Haywood and yet not even received a reply but was told that BA did not receive my letter (after 10 days) despite the fact that I have prove of postage certificate... I think the only way forward is to contact the regulators and put a court case tribunal against BA for the bad service they provide in order to get compensation.

Regards,
Harith Taha.

So
  17th of Oct, 2007

I would like to complaint about British airways and their partners I was booked my flight on 4th october2007 from Edinburgh to London and to Algiers the same day, but they confront my flight to Algiers was cancel until next day but i was very upset because I lost very important things with family I was plan to travel this day to Algiers since January 07.

Regards,
s said.

Sa
  2nd of Feb, 2010

british airways is the worst for baggages .if a passenger have 24kg at the airport they said we have to pay please do our passengers a big favour for british airways futur and we get this problem at london heathrow and dublin.
hopefully next time if i dont have any hand bags i have just a 25kg luggage hopefully its will be granted