Booking.com / misleading, charged in full even though it said that I can cancel until day before arrival

1 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I booked a hotel in Ottawa through booking.com and, even though on the page it clearly says "If cancelled up to 1 day before the date of arrival, no fee will be charged", my credit card was charged the full price, months in advance of my stay. Supposedly somewhere it said that the room is "non-refundable", what ever that is supposed to mean. For one, it is not visible, and second, it is never explained. I went back and tried to find an explanation, but to no avail. I was very careful to check the policy on cancellation, which clearly stated that I have until the day before the reservation to cancel. I saw no mention of being charged right away and not being able to make ANY changes to my reservation at any point during my reservation. Booking.com is deceitful, dishonest and misleads customers. I will NEVER book through booking.com again. Their customer service response basically says that they do not give a damn.

Ca

Comments

• Ly
      28th of Jul, 2010

Oh my god! I totally understand how you feel because exactly the same thing just happened to me. It states clearly on the booking page that "If cancelled up to 2 days before the date of arrival, no fee will be charged", and i made my cancelation 1 month prior to the arrival date. Still, 90% of the total fee was charged. The information given on the booking page and the confirmation page is totally different. They are misleading the costumers. Even though I made a call, sent the email to complain. Nothing changes. I will never ever use this website again.

• Mi
      26th of Sep, 2010

Same here - I cancelled online and was told on-screen that there was no charge. However, no email was sent out to me and, because of this lack of evidence, Booking.com charged me as a no- show. Polite rejection of my claim but not listening! Lesson learned and now using every opportunity to tell the world to avoid them.