[Resolved] Booking.com

Posted:

never give your credit card details to booking.com

4.35
I had been(!) using booking.com for years and during this time I felt comfortable about giving my credit card details to them. However, I realized that this was a big mistake because I understand that they just pass your credit card details to the hotel and feel no responsibility about it, they dont care if the hotel overcharges you or even charges you for nothing as in my case . For a booking at Etap Hotel Paris, I canceled my reservation timely due to a change in my travel plans, it was an early cancellation and it was clearly stated thatI would not be charged for this cancellation. But now I see the hotel charged the full fee, when I call booking.com this the answers I get: yes you they shouldnt ahve charged you but we didnt receive the payment so we cannot guarantee you the refund, it may take months(!), a few days is a very little time to solve this issue etc.
So never trust booking.com, find a trustworthy hotel yourself

Resolution statement

Booking.com Customer Care's Response, Jun 06, 2011
We're sorry to hear of your concerns! Please note that Booking.com uses a secure connection for all bookings. Should you have any questions, including issues with a particular reservation, don't hesitate to contact our customer care team. Contact details can be found here: http://www.booking.com/wecare.
Complaint comments Comments (208)    Updated: Complaint country Netherlands Complaint category Hotels

Comments

N  24th of Feb, 2010 by    +7 Votes
I had the same experience. DO NOT BOOK through booking.com!
A  9th of Sep, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I was robbed by booking.com !

I placed an order through booking.com, but did not get confirmation email for this order.
a day later a called booking.com agent, asking why I did not get confirmation email. He told me that there was technical problem with my order, and I should place a new order.
Therefore I have placed another order, for the very same hotel.

Coming back home from the vacation, I figured out my credit card was charged twice by some unknown travel agency ! Asking booking.com for a refund gave me a chilled response. They remove all responsibility from them and asked me to ask refund from the travel agency!
The travel agency did not understand what I was talking about. They showed my faxes with the orders they got from booking.com under my name, and with my credit card number !
Apparently, there was a typo in the e-mail address I gave on my 1st order. The fact that I have contacted booking.com and they told me my order was rejected did not make any difference for this company. The fact that booking.com received error messages saying the email address is wrong did lit any red light for the company. They had my credit card number and that's what was important.

I will never never again booking with booking.com. They take no responsibility for their mistakes, and leave you alone to cope with the travel agency/hotel to whom they gave your credit card !

Stay away from booking.com ! contact the hotels/travel agency directly !

Ari
N  23rd of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
@AriSharon Sounds like you registered the wrong email address, never received a confimation for you reservation and the hotel charged the Credit Card you put correctly on the website. That hotel only has your Credit Card details because you've sent it to them. Read Terms and Conditions before you give your information away.

By the way if did use a hotel or travel agency chances are the same thing would have happened, except you would pay more for your reservation.
A  21st of Sep, 2010 by    +7 Votes
I understand what people wrote here but I think many of them don't know how Booking.com works.

I'm a Hotel manager and in fact I have this concern with the all the confirmation faxes I have at my reception with all credit card details of my customers that came via Booking.com. Booking.com sends us all credit card details from the client - we need to have them to charge the guest for a possible no-show for example, but I wonder if this if safe at all (and unfortunately I know its not)

The credit card data is printed and in the end becomes available to everybody at the hotel reception. One risk is for example an employee with "bad intentions" can just steal this data to buy online, for example, and how can I control this?

At our hotel we are very carefull with this but can Booking.com assure that all hotels will have a good behaviour and will keep the clients credit card data secured? I think that for them is just impossible. And the truth is that also for us is very difficult because we risk that someday, someone from of our staff steals this data from our guests that booked on this website and I wonder if this will be our fault? This is something that worries me for a long time but nothing changed from Booking.com side in this regard.
N  23rd of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
@VascoPinheiro Hey I am a Front Desk clerk. The Credit Card information is delivered into a secured system (Booking.com platform) that only authorized people have access through a lot of security protocols. If you don't trust your co-workers maybe retrieving and storing Credit Card information should be restricted to only a few trusted individuals. Sounds more like a property management problem than blaming a website.
A  1st of Oct, 2010 by     Best Advice +9 Votes
I am sorry I have to make this posting, but I am myself a victim of the bad practices of Booking.com
I had booked a hotel in Brussels, the Hotel Agenda Louise. When my plans changed, I cancelled the reservation on Booking.com and did not think more of it. I had cancelled the above reservation following the link as indicated on Saturday 26/09/ 2010 in the afternoon. During my business trip on 28/09/2010 I had aggressive phone calls from the hotel and then from Booking.com staff complaining about my alleged "no show", even calling me a liar. My credit card was also charged within minutes. If an error had occurred on Booking.com website and my cancellation did not register correctly - why it is myself who has to pay? When I cancelled by following the link, a screen came up clearly stating that my reservation had been cancelled. When I have written to Booking.com to ask for a refund, they replied asking me to sort it out with the Hotel, which is useless, because I believe they did not receive my cancellation from Booking.com. I am truly disappointed and I wonder what kind of legal redress there may be for people in my situation?
N  23rd of Feb, 2017 by    0 Votes
@Frustration at booking.com Did you receive a cancellation email? They usually tell you if the cancellation will have no costs or if there's a penalty.

Again, I recommend that people read what they are buying into before acting on impulses.
N  18th of Jan, 2011 by    +5 Votes
I have used Booking.com several times when making hotel reservations and so far (knock on wood) no major problems to note. However, when cancelling I make it a habit to call Booking.com directly to make the cancellation and also to make sure I get a notice of cancellation email for my records. As noted in some of the postings, it is always difficult to obtain a refund after the fact, so be proactive and not depend entirely on Booking.com or the hotel in question. That been said, last month I stayed at the Swissotel in Istanbul and when reviewing the bill upon check out, I noticed that they had charged me €99.00 more than they should have. Luckily, I had the email confirmation with the rate quoted by Booking.com so we managed to sort it out in short order. If I didn't have the confirmation with me as proof, then I would have had to pay the hotel rate and try and sort it out later which could prove very difficult.
N  28th of Jan, 2011 by    -1 Votes
I have got cancellation´s confirmation on my reservation( booking.com) at the hotel in London. There is no charge for cancellation. But I am still charged for five nights according to my credit card´s details. To whom can I complaint to get my money back? Thanks
A  14th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
I was also robbed by booking.com and Leonardo Hotel in Charleroi and strongly suggest you avoid this scam of a website like the plague. After the Leonardo Hotel in Charleroi overcharged me I inquired into booking.com why the posted rate was not being followed. They told me they would look into it and get back to me. In the interim they billed my credit card the full amount. When they told me they didn't know why it was higher but thought it might be 'due to taxes' I cancelled my reservation with Leonardo Hotel in Charleroi. However, as my booking was last minute and the final information on the rate was not provided to me until after the deadline to get my money back had passed, they told me that the cancellation policy was violated and it was too late. Oh, and why was I charged more you ask? They told me that I had elected to apply for the 'flexible' option where you can cancel anytime which was untrue. So, in the end they billed me for an option that should have protected me from late cancellation and still did not honour that!!! Do not use this website.
N  18th of May, 2011 by    +1 Votes
that's a scam...shame on them... never order again
N  23rd of May, 2011 by    +2 Votes
I'm about to make a booking at Booking.com for a hotel in Cork. I have no intention of cancelling this booking as there will be no changes in my travel plans (I am quite certain). Do you think I am still at risk to being scammed? I'm paying with a visa debit card (in other words, there are not unlimited funds on the card so I can't be overcharged as is possible with a credit card). Do you think this is safe? I'd appreciate it if someone could contact me in response as I'm booking my birthday weekend away. My email is sandjounintemari@hotmail.com
A  17th of Jul, 2011 by    -3 Votes
Booking.com tried to rob me in a very sophisticated way, first it stated that some hotels required no information for short reservation, than it just retrieved my old credit card information and charged 80 peer cent of the price, please be careful as the company is not to be fully trusted

theur consumer care is also horrible, do not expect them to resolve the problem just call the banks and ask what you can do
A  20th of Jul, 2011 by    -3 Votes
I agree with youu too. They are useless. Not worth booking through them. I never will again.
N  7th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes

Comfort Hotel CDG Le Mesnil Amelot - Unable to cancel
Yoji Hamawaki
Japan

I booked Comfort Hotel CDG on Aug. 22 check-in and Aug. 23 check out. Now I want to cancel this booking. But I am unable to contact with
Booking Com on line although I checked spelling address very carefully.
Please cancel the above booking and confirm with me.
Your kind cooperation would be appreciated.
Yoji Hamawaki
A  18th of Aug, 2011 by    +3 Votes
Dear All,
as it seem not new, also me been overcharged by a hotel going to prague, and for 19 days those who called themselves customer service team wasnt able to do anything, and that i should take it with the hotel to get the difference refunded when i arrive to the hotel tomorrow. who's with me to report this site to the travel association in the countries where they operate. and if not working let's create a page on face book to ban them to abuse our credit card as they are doing with no regulations.
N  28th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
I just have one complaint about Booking.com.
We booked a hotel this Summer, and I saw our reservation-fax from Booking.com to the hotel.
They still send a FAX to the hotel with your creditcard-details in clear writing.
A  18th of Sep, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I used about three different hotel booking sites when we were planning our trip to Europe. I only used Booking.com for one hotel (in Amsterdam). After we stayed at the hotel and went on to our next destination, we discovered credit card fraud on the card (we paid via Booking.com for the room and used it at the hotel to cover our incidentals).
We never used our card anywhere else on the trip (we are pretty careful how and where we used our credit cards in Europe).
The credit card fraud that happened on our card was a charge for another hotel in Amsterdam (for the same dates we were in Amsterdam too!).
I am not sure whether Booking.com had charged us for another hotel or if our card was compromised (at the hotel or by Booking.com). We had the bank cancel our card and investigate the matter.
I won't be using this website ever again because we did not have any issues with the other sites we used.
N  18th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
Robbed by booking.com!!!

I made a reservation with them using an Internet cafe Dubai. The browser was slow so I clicked booknow twice by mistake. Realising what had happened, I called them immediately in London to point out the mistake. They were unhelpful to say the least and passed the buck to the hotel. I called the hotel and they passed the buck back to the site. I arrived at the hotel and they said the site should have cancelled one of the rooms. Obviously it's not in their interest as they get commission on both reservations!! Waste of time!!! Robbers!!
D  29th of Feb, 2012 by    -1 Votes
I made a hotel booking wit www.hotel.com with the stated policy on their site stating that a non refundable first night will be deducted from my account for the first night stay and I could cancel the rest if necessary. To my surprise the full many nights’ stay amount was deducted from my account. I also received an email later stating that the whole reservation is non refundable. I will not use booking.com again and shall only book with hotels direct.

I will also send a formal letter of complaint to the management, local and national, to the hotel concerned. I also think this practice is illegal and will be following up on this line of enquiry and shall report back here to let other people know what happened. I am also considering sending this information to UK national papers from them to investigate practices of this nature so that the UK general public is made aware of these practices.
N  1st of Apr, 2012 by    +1 Votes
Hello Booking.com,
what do you answer to the security flaw with credit card numbers sent in clear to the hotel?
A  24th of Apr, 2012 by    -1 Votes
Booking.com & Roomers hotel in Frankfurt, Germany charged me €480 as a "no-show" fee for a booking which I did not make.

There was no "no-show" - I didn't complete the booking. When I entered my credit card details to confirm the booking, the system said that the room had sold out and was no longer available at the quoted price. I was offered the choice of exactly the same room at a much higher rate or to refuse the booking. I declined and cancelled the booking.

I'd been looking for the room with my girlfriend who was equally as surprised and annoyed as I was - I'd spent a considerable amount of time looking for the room and I then had to start over to find alternative accommodation for the same dates. I ended up booking through a competing service.

I have contacted both Booking.com and Roomers and they refuse to reimburse me or to accept the possibility that their system could produce an error of any kind. They maintain their €480 (full cost of the booking) no-show charge, but there was no "no show" - I didn't complete the reservation. I received no confirmation, no reply, no email from either booking.com or from the Roomers hotel in Frankfurt, Germany.

My complaint is that Booking.com and the Roomers hotel have charged me €480 for a booking I did not make, which they refuse to reimburse.
N  28th of May, 2012 by    -1 Votes
Hi

I booked a hotel through Booking.com about the end of February beginning of March. We were going to go to Porthleven in Cornwall for a week for which we had already booked a cottage for w/c saturday 19th May. However, as it was my 60th birthday this year and not particularly wanting to travel on a Saturday we decided to book the Cross House Hotel in Padstow for the night of Friday 18th May. We were looking forward to it but by about the end of April, although we had a reference number and an online booking confirmation, no deposit was taken.

I called the Hotel twice and left a message but they did not get back to me. I called Booking.com and they said they had no record of my booking. So we never went to Padstow but we did get a call from the hotel proprieter by the name of Nick on Friday 18th asking where we were. After a long conversation we left it that he was going to call Booking.com on the following Monday (21st). We never heard another thing and assumed everything had been cancelled.

So I was quite shocked when I came back from holiday to find that £135 had been taken from my bank account and had put me into an overdraft situation.

My anger is not just with Booking.com that gave me incorrect information but with the hotel for not letting me know the money was going to be taken. This is not just bad customer service it is daylight robbery and should not be allowed.

I rang Booking.com this morning as it was to them I gave my debit card details to them and they had passed it onto the hotel. They tried ringing the hotel but could only get the ansaphone. I have called 3 times and left 3 rather stern curt messages today but the proprieter has not had the decency to call me back. I really don't understand how these people are in a service based industry, if I treated our clients like that way we would not have a client bank, the repeat business and referrals that goes to make a good practice.

Shame on you Cross House Hotel!

Jan Bolton