BMW Canada / vehicle problems!

1 St Catherines, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Attached is a letter sent to BMW Canada in August. Since that letter I have had the vehicle back for major repairs twice. BMW Canada has continued to stone wall my requests for a replacement vehicle. BMW continues to advertise the "BMW Experience", don't buy it, they have no interest in satisfying their clients if there is a problem. Not only has the vehicle been a terrible experience, my customer service experience has been worse with both the dealership and BMW Canada.

See letter below.

August 31, 2007

Attn: Lindsay Duffield, President and C.E.O
BMW Canada, Fax [protected], Phone: [protected]

I recently leased a BMW 530i on June 29th at Performance BMW in St. Catherines on the advice of my business partner Blake Williams, who has leased 3 or 4 vehicles at that location over the past 5 or so years.

In the past eight weeks my vehicle has been returned to be fixed twice for the following repairs:

1. Brakes (twice and still not done properly despite 2 requests in early July and Mid-August.)
2. Sunroof (twice, replaced the motor in August)
3. iDrive was reset because it was not functioning properly
4. Battery - Died and was replaced
5. Speakers were cutting in and out (have been fixed)

Other issues have been regarding the service from Performance including:

1. I had arranged for the car to be picked up while I was on vacation from August 4 to the 10th. The vehicle was to be picked up from my home on Aug 6th, the key was left in the mailbox; they failed to pick up the car and the key sat in my mailbox until I got back from vacation on Aug 10th. I was not pleased because I was not using the car that week and instead had to have the car taken to Performance the following Monday. The car remained there for 10 more days for repairs to the sun roof, iDrive, and the brakes.

2. Asking for brakes to be replaced in July and August only to be told that they were fine. Andy in the service dept assured me that the squealing noise was fixed. When the vehicle was returned to me last Wednesday, August 22nd, the driver returning the car told me I should have the brakes looked at. He did not realize it was in for a brake job. The brakes had not been repaired as promised.

3. On Monday August 27th, I decided to escalate my issue regarding the brakes with Andrew Marchant (Manager) and left 2 messages on Monday and Tuesday. He did not return my calls, but had asked my sales contact John O'Neil to call me Tuesday night. I returned his call on Wednesday morning and left a message to call me back to discuss on-going issues with the brakes and 2 other minor problems that have surfaced since then. I have not heard anything from John or Andrew since.

Lastly, I received a call regarding my service at performance on Wednesday afternoon from a 3rd party survey company about the mid-August repair. I told her the above story and she assured me someone would respond. I have not had that response yet.

I have tried to resolve this directly with Performance but have not had much success. This is my first BMW, I work with 3 other colleagues with BMW's, and I have no doubt of the quality of your cars. That being said, this has been a poor experience for me and has been quite frustrating to continue to have my vehicle in the shop for over 2 weeks since I leased it, and suspect it needs to go back for at least another 3 or 4 days. I have tolerated using the loaner cars. My neighbors, family, and colleagues are aware of what is happening because I have not had the use of my car; and they have asked me why. Since I have had problem after problem with this car, people are referring to my car as the "lemon", this is not good for both of us.

I would like to have this resolved as soon as possible; my first choice would be to return the car for a different vehicle as my confidence is quite low. I'm afraid that I will have continued problems with this car and will have to start paying for it myself. I would recommend that you strongly consider this option, anything less would be a problem for me.

I hope this comes across not as a complaint but means to rectify a very poor product and service experience. John O'Neil at Performance has been outstanding in his efforts but has been limited by the failure of others.

I would appreciate a quick and fair response to this unusual BMW experience.

Sincerely,
Doug Eley.

Comments

• In
      12th of Feb, 2008

Very accurate portrayal of BMW service at Performance BMW, St. Catharines, and BMW Canada.

• Ad
      12th of Sep, 2008

I always loved these cars, until I actually owned one. My father has put over 15 000$ of repairs on his BMW in the past year.

I have a MINI Cooper and I had to Replace my clutch at only 100 000km, I know how to drive manual because this never happened to any cars I drove. Once I brought it in to be serviced apparently these cables were loose so my bill went from 1 000$ to 1600$. I then received my vehicle back to tell me that my handbrake cables are broken but there is also a noise in my transmission. I then find out I need to change my transmission!!! at 103 000km!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?? WHAT KIND OF GARBAGE CARS ARE THESE??? This could cost anywhere from 3000 to 6000$!!! Apparently these problems happen to a lot of Coopers but they want us customers to dish out the money and not make it a recall!

One pissed of customer.
    From BMW Promoter to hardcore detractor.

13th of Nov, 2008

our experience with our BMW X5 has been terrible. We have only owned our vehicle for 7 months. We replaced a dead battery (at our own expense - $600.00) believing it was due to improper charging during storage before purchase. Four months later the battery died again - so dead the glove box wouldn't even open. We have been told the problem is that we do not drive it enough!! Fair enough if all the accessories were running at one time. we were told our "trips" are too short to charge the battery sufficiently. So if anyone want to buy an X5 be sure you only have long distances to drive!!! They should come with a charger as standard equipment. With visits to the bank, market, school drop off and pick up and grocery store i guess we should be walking!
    very dissapointing - we should all write to BMW and petition for a better battery to run all the electronics.

20th of Nov, 2008

I have recently purchased the car make (BMW) of my dreams (although I always wanted an M I settled for a '07 323i) only to have those dreams turn into a money pit...
    First, the tires on the car are run flats that make an obseen amount of noise when you drive (my winter tires are much quitter).
    Second, I started getting a warming signal about service, no one told me I would need to bring the car in for Oil top ups...
    Third, I was quioted $1800 for the blue tooth connection for my BlackBerry...when I scoffed at the price the service person started acting like I shouldn't be driving a BMW if I couldn't afford to through $1800 to connect my phone (18.00 at future shop got me a hands free unit)
    Fourth, I went into the dealership (Parkview) to see about winter tires, while I was there I asked about the rust module and was quoted a price under $200...so I got both the time package and module (probably could have gotten different tires cheaper though)...when I picked up the car the service representatives couldn't figure out the billing so I was charged for only the tires...a service rep then called me a couple days later demanding that I return to pay the bill or they would need to remove the module at my expense...
    When I complained about the overall quality of service, the lack of professionalism in the process I was told they take these complaints seriously and would address them...so when I stopped by to pick up a set of winter floor mats (canandian tire ones don't fit) they carged me full price ($150)...

It seems to me that BMW is more about making money at every opportunity and charging extra for everything while not caring about the customers at all...

• Fi
      16th of Apr, 2009

I guess I will post all the details of my experience tomorrow with some interesting pictures. Further I am looking for blogs and may be form a group who had this kind of similar experience to talk to. I presently have 2 BMWs

X5 & 760Li and may be there could be some interesting stories to share with my lawyer and we can address this nationally. A plaintiff would be much effective if backed up with concrete evidence and precedence.

Please comment.

• Fi
      16th of Apr, 2009

I have a group of 50-100 BMW owners who may be interested to go nationally.

30th of Oct, 2009

count me in!

30th of Oct, 2009

I think olsen on your side might help this problem.. good reason they are not part of canvap. but every other manufacturer is

• Ad
      2nd of Jan, 2010

The staff at Performance BMW St. Catharines are grossly irresponsible.

• Pa
      4th of Mar, 2010

My 2003 car ( 75000 km) needs a new engine. It was bought new, regularly serviced woudn't start and am being advised that it requires new engine.

• 33
      16th of Jun, 2010

I have a 2009 335i x-drive. The car is so much fun it is WORKING! Since Jan 2010, it's been in the garage 9 times with teh same issue of power loss after sudden shaking. My last power loss was when passing a car and it put my life at risk. I want to hear from everyone who might have experienced this, perhaps we can bend BMW Canada's ear.

25th of Aug, 2010

I just bought a 2007 328xi from BMW Toronto 3 months ago. Although I found the salesperson exceptional. The service department on the other hand is a nightmare. I have been in 3 time for service ever since and clearly, I've gotten myself a lemon and am a little irritated and voiced my opinion to the manager this morning and he gave me attitude, great way to treat your customers.

31st of Oct, 2010

BMW has terrible after sales service. It is a terrible experience all round!

31st of Oct, 2010

BMW SUCKS 100% - great product but terrible service, they can keep ALL of their cars!

31st of Oct, 2010

BMW - WORSE THAN A BMW SERVICE DEPARTMENT?... Cannot think of anything worse. If quality is consistency them BWM has plenty of it in the BAD AFTER SALES EXPERIENCE DEPARTMENT.

• Jz
      23rd of Nov, 2010

I disagree with the phrase "great product terrible service" if you own a V8

It should be "terrible V8 product, even worst service"

I bought a 2006 750i 2 years ago and the car has been consuming about 1L of oil per 1000 km and most recently consumed about 1.2L over 800 km. I have been complaining about the issue for about a year now and have been going to the dealer ship every single time I needed to "top up and tag" my car. This was being done as part of an investigation on their part to "make sure" there was really something wrong with my car.

Well, the last couple of times I was unable to drop it off at the dealer (about 1 hour away from home and work) because of my busy schedule and so I topped up and tagged the vehicle myself (I even took some photos to document the mileage and low oil warning). Mind you 80% of the time the dealer did that for me.

Well now, the vehicle is back in the shop and BMW is not acklowledging the problem of excess consumption (as usual) despite the fact that I have sufficient documentation from the dealer showing that my oil consumption was beyond normal. Bunch of crooks if you ask me! If anyone wants to discuss the matter further feel free to drop me an email john.zagala@hotmail.com

Jhn

• Zl
      28th of Nov, 2010

BMW is the WORST company we have ever worked with. There customer service is great if there isn't an issue but as soon as there's a problem they bail and return no calls. Voice a complaint and you just keep getting re-directed. Very dishonest sales and managers to boot only care about making a sale and the commission that comes along with it! Would never purchase another BMW ever and have advised all family and friends not to as well. Still trying to get contact information to write a formal complaint with no avail. Endras BMW of Durham is the most dishonest dealership around with absolutely horrible customer service.

• Mi
      24th of Jan, 2011

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS.I BOUGHT IN 2009, A 2006 X5 E53 FIRST GENERATION SUV.I HAVE TAKIN IT TO DIFFERENT DEALERS FOR THE SAME ENGINE PROBLEM.WHEN I FIRST COMMUNICATED WITH BMW CANADA I MADE IT VERY CLEAR TO THEM THAT THE DAMAGES TO THIS CAR WERE DUE TO SERIOUS MANUFACTURERS AND BUILDERS OF THIS CAR. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT A CAR WITH 114000KM HAS HAD THE CRANKASE VALVE REPLACED TWICE AND THEN THE THROTTLE..EVERYTIME I CALL AND SPEAK TO PHILIPPE AT CUSTOMER SERVICE IT ALWAYS TAKES A LOT OF TIME FOR HIM TO RETURN MY CALLS. WHEN HE DOES HE TELLS ME TO TAKE IT UP WITH THE DEALERS SALES DIRECTOR.WHAT'S HE GONNA DO BILL ME FOR MORE WORK THAT STILL WON'T FIX THE PROBLEM. A VERY WELL KNOWN ENGINE PROBLEM(DEFECTIVE VALVETRONIC LEVERS) AT 15000$.
    IT'S VERY CLEAR THAT BMW IS IN IT FOR THE MONEY- THE ONLY BMW DEALER I WON'T REFER IS THE ONE IN LAVAL. BLAINVILLE ARE SO FAR VERY GOOD.

• Mo
      31st of May, 2011

i had an issue with BMW Canbec Service
    I bought a brand new serie 535 xdrive with two sets of tire, after the winter, i went thereto put the summer set, guess what they put used tires on my cars and the service manager was lier enough to tell me they were new.
    After putting the tires, the rep left with my keys for 40 minutes while i was waiting there.
    He was trying to convience me that i needed alignement for a 3 months new car ????
    Do not go at BMW Canbec Service on Jean Talon, they are just after your pocket
    What a heak is wrong with these managers...where did they go to school ... this is my last time buying a BMW
    M Kane

• Up
      20th of Jun, 2011

I leased an x5 diesel in december 2010, after owning a gas x5 lemon, ithought i would give it another try, WELL after 5 months of driving, it left me on the hiway stranded. BMW sent out a tow truck and delivered it to the dealer, after two weeks of investigating, they saw it needed a new engine, so they ordered it from Germany and they instaled two weeks later, now after six weeks, they still have my x5 and cant figure out the other problems that didnt excist before. I asked to exchange the car for another, they said that they are not in the business of replcing cars. WOW... I give them good money for a new veichle that is not supposed to give me problems and here i am, stuck with a lemon. I would consider this an act of fraud.