Best Buy / deceptive restocking fee. treat customers like crap!

Just to let everyone know Best Buy treated me like crap. I spent $2,000 on a Sony Vaio and was assured by the salesperson - upon reading my hesitance about parting with two grand - that if the laptop did not function correctly or if anything was wrong with it I could return it.

The laptop was crap. It shutdown randmonly, bluescreened, flickered, froze up upon opening more than one application at a time, etc. Not what you expect from a Sony. And certainly not for two grand.

I returned it to Best Buy TWO DAYS LATER. I was told I had to pay a $360 restocking fee. I spoke with the clerk, the assistant manager, the store manager and the regional manager and all told me they would not take the laptop back unless I paid it. And all told me that "just because it doesn't perform the way you want to doesn't mean it's defective" (their policy is that restocking fees are only waived if products are defective). How blue screening and shutting down in the middle of using it is not defective is beyond me.

I filed a complaint with the DCP and fought the charges with my credit card company. Luckily I won, but I would hope no one else has to go through this. BAN BEST BUY WITH ME!!!

I now order all my electronics through careful research on restocking fees. Best Buy SUCKS!

Comments

• He
      23rd of May, 2008

BestBuy should be named WorstBuy. I had already a bad experience with them some months ago. Nowadays when I ask to someone buy something in USA I demand previously not to be from "Best"Buy...

• Wc
      10th of Dec, 2008

Maybe y0u should read the back of the receipt!!! If best buy was to tell you their FULL return policy, you probably would not have enough time to listen. On the back of the receipt it tells you their full policy. Quality is not a defect in the system. And you are right if your computer is bluescreening, you have to ask yourself is it a defect because of what I did(like putting software or visiting a site which causes you to get a virsus) or because it is just a manufacture defect. Believe it or not people (without knowing that did you did) defect their system themselves.