Barclays Credit Card Application / Very poor service

1 DE, United States Review updated:

Don't bother with Barclays, Delaware. Submitted application for a visa card. 10 days later wrote back requesting for proof of citizenship. What??? I'm only applying for a $2000 loan not $200, 000. So I mailed them back copy of my passport more than a week ago but still didn't hear from them. They told me today it may take another 10 days for them to look at the application. WTF.

I have credit cards with chase, citibank, hsbc, bank of america, amex - never have problems getting one from them. In fact I got a mortgage pre-approved within 30 minutes few days ago from Merrill Lynch/BA - no hassle. I told barclays people off on the phone today and swear I'll never apply another card with them nor would I recommend this incompetent bank to anyone. Save yourself from unnecessary hassle and frustrations. Skip barclays and just go with other banks.

Comments

• Or
      18th of Sep, 2009

I've had a card with Barclays for quite some time now and it's been an excellent experience. Their customer service is open 24/7 unlike certain other banks, the application process was quick and painless and the terms of my card are among the best - better even than Discover's More card.

If you have that many credit cards, chances are that you should not be applying for more, but instead managing your finances better.

• Go
      12th of Dec, 2011

@Orin, I have pay off my other 3 houses and have 7 credit card, had never had issue to obtain another credit, last week I was asked to photocopy of my Citizenship paper or other legal documents for the purpose of processing my application, I was shocked, because it is the FIRST TIME I was asked to do this and it is ILLEGAL to photo those document and send it to third parties other than for you own record.
    This Bank does not deserve to be in Business if they choose this way to deny a certain Ethic group of people with a unique last name, they are acting ILLEGAL and discrimination certain Ethic group with a unfair requests.
    I don't need their credit card, but Barclays Bank will closed down soon !