Bank Of America

Posted:

closed my account for no reason

Bank of America
The Bank of America sent me letters saying they are restricting my accounts in 20 days and closing them in 30 days. I called the phone number on the letters, but only an answering machine says "this is the closure department and this was done for Business Reason and no further info can be given". I sent a complaint on the web through my account, i was advised to go to a local branch. I did, but the manager had no answer, he said the closure department is above any branch and he can not help me because he can not access their information.

The strange thing is that I have an excellent banking history, high credit score and never defaulted on any payment. I also had with them a mortgage which was paid always on time until I sold the property.

I stopped long time ago using the online payment system of the Bank of America. The reason is because the funds are taken away immediately from my account at the time I schedule the payments. If your check does not reach the person who you intend to pay, the money is swallowed by the bank. I used to make automatic monthly payments to charities and found out that the charities did not cash their checks over a year. The money was taken from my account and I was never told about this. Thus instead of making life easier the online payment system of the Bank of America makes it harder sine you have to keep track of things among many. I use currently online payment service from two other banks which are excellent since funds are not deducted from the account until actually the checks are cashed or deposited. This way there is no money lost and no need to track things so closely.

Despite the above I kept accounts with the Bank of America because it was the first bank I used when it was named" Bank of New England", then "Fleet Bank", then "Bank of Boston", then Bank of America. I thought because I have excellent banking history, it is good to keep an active account with this bank, although I have accounts at local banks whenever I relocated.

It is a humiliating experience to try to talk to somebody at the Bank of America about the account closure. My experience proved that this bank is not customer friendly when it comes to discuss such issues.

I truly believe they did a mistake because they lost a good customer, however, my complaint is related to the humiliating way of the closure and that the system they set in place does not distinguish between good customers and bad ones.
Complaint comments Comments (2) Complaint country United States Complaint category Banks

Comments

A  12th of Apr, 2017 by    0 Votes
Same thing happened to us - 5 business accounts 6 personal accounts and we had our account established with the original bank in 1983 that was swallowed by a big bank, then another big bank, that ultimately got swallowed by BoA... we left the account alone, with a little bit of money. Established new accounts for the business with a competitor and moved most of the funds. The Bank manager could tell us nothing, they have no access to that department, and on their computer our accounts looked fine, no flags. 30 days came and went, account stayed open. 60 days came and went... account still open. Bank manager looks, says nothing flagged on the account. Today received a letter regarding BoA keeping in compliance with the Patriot Act and they could not establish/verify "CIP" - so we met with the branch manager who checked our account and sure enough, a phone number, a license "issued date" and year our company was established were missing. Now our account is good, not flagged, and we can resume peacefully. Apparently accounts established prior to 1999 are being aggressively audited for missing data (from a bad data conversion of banks they purchased) and clients are hanging in the wind, branch managers are left in the dark, accounts are being closed, clients are leaving, and general unrest abounds. BoA - all you had to do was tell us to update our profile information with a Bank manager and we would have complied. Threaten with account closure is your first move for an IT issue on data conversion? Bad Move BoA. Bad Business decision. We rolled with each acquisition of our original account established in 1983. Your letter caused us to learn that the grass really is greener on the other side - thanks for pushing us out. Now that the account "passes" your audit (for a phone number?!), we will truly cancel all the accounts and move on. Selling our stock in BoA as well. You will get no more of our business, and we will share our experience with everyone we know.
N  14th of Jun, 2017 by    0 Votes
Bofa closed my account here in LA, that ive had for like 20years.
Went to buy groceries at my local store and the cashier guy said my card was denied, stunned i relunctantly used my PIN number which was denied as well, i knew something was amiss, i paid with cash thankfully in my wallet and got into my car and logged in to my checking acct, and lo and behold it was empty, in panic called the bank and eventually after being transffered like 3 times, one of their arrogant worker finally asked me if i knew my acct is being closed.I was shocked and relived as the same time knowing a bank draft will be sent to me in the mail.
These point here is they didnt warn me of any wrong doing on my 2 decade old acct, i wasnt warned that my account will be closed, i was embarrassed at the grocery store, and none of their employees could tell me why the [censor] they closed my acct.
They are too big to care and i hope people learn to close their acct and move to another bank.
iam on a mission to tell my family and all my co workers to move out of Bofa.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree