Bank Of America / wouldn't reverse fraud

United States Review updated:
One day I go online to check my account balance with BOA only to discover that a check was written by someone else but the funds had come out of my account. Yes! Imagine your best friend writing a check from their check book with their name, address and everything but the money comes out of your account! This was clearly a case of fraud so I contacted them and was told it would be reversed and that "when I have a chance to close the account." My checking account remained open for a few weeks but as always I kept very little funds in it mostly just to pay my credit card bill as I'm very weary of BOA after several issues. Sure enough a few weeks after the first incident more checks were written taking money from my account. When someone from the check fraud department finally got back to me they told me they would NOT reverse any of the money STOLEN from my account because I should've closed it. The rep clearly stated they had no responsibility to me after advising me to close the account and they wouldn't return any of my lost money. I guess this is how BOA helps it's customers feel safe and secure with their service, by letting criminals steal money from the customers they should be protecting from fraud. I will never bank with them again and hope to close my cc with them asap. Absolutely dispicable!

Comments

Da
  12th of Oct, 2009
I have a brand new checking account with Bank of America branch on Colorado Boulevard in Eagle Rock, California. I discovered that $2, 500 was taken out after I received my first statement. Not all people check their account periodically, I'm one of those who just rely on my monthly statement. When I notified customer service, they blamed me for not reporting it any sooner. Then, the runarounds began. I filed a complaint, they denied it after a month. Reason they gave me was the amount was withdrawn using my checkcard and my PIN. How in the world could that happen other than an inside job? I have my checkcard, my PIN I would think if someone had access to it is no other than their teller, but how was the amount withdrawn without a card and without them asking for a pictured ID prior to releasing the amount. Now, they're totally ignoring me, they couldn't even show me a video of when I withdrew the money they're alleging I took. I am taking the matter to court and I will make sure they pay me back the $2, 500, plus attorney's fees, costs and compensatory damages. I immediately transferred my account to another bank. I am telling everybody my horrible experience with them. Word of mouth is the most effective advertising. They are unreliable and big thieves.

Bank of America Corporation Logo Bank of America Corporation