Bank Of America / stop fee

United States Review updated:
Bank of America
I requested a st0p payment a few days ago thinking that it would be better for me have the check destroyed and stop the payment of the check just in case someone found the check and tried to order something online. I checked my account yesterday and found that I was charged $28 to stop payment on a check. If I would have known that there was going to be a fee, then I never would have proceeded. I did this online and I was never prompted that there would be any fee. However they informed me that in the little print (8.5 font) that it mentions that a fee could be charged. I'll be damned they were right. I tried to explain to their customer service department 3 different times, 3 different people and they all told me that the could reverse the stop payment, but they could not reverse the fee. Bank of America has the worst customer service that I have ever experienced with a bank. I guess if you want to be able to have banks all over the country, you have to pay for it by crappy customer service and fees that they don't tell you about until it's too late, or in my case they hide it in the smallest font possible and when you dispute it they just send you on your way. AHHH!!! I just needed to vent and share my experience. Needless to say, I will no longer bank with them.

N  28th of Apr, 2009 by
We are casting a documentary about unfair bank policies. Looking for stories with complaints about banks. If you are cast we will pay you. If interested contact bellmartel@sbcglobal.net for more information. Casting needs to be concluded by May 1st, 2009.
A  7th of May, 2009 by
I experienced the same thing. It SHOULD say "By clicking here, you agree to pay $30 stop payment fee". Instead it says "You MIGHT get charged... click here to see your schedule of fees" If you click on the schedule of fees before proceeding, and look under the type of account you have (e.g. MyAccess Checking), there is NO mention of a fee! However, If you scroll down 10 pages, the 2nd to last box on the page, it says ALL ACCOUNTS INCUR A FEE OF $30 FOR STOPPED PAYMENTS. Why not just put that on the page where you enter in the check # and hit "Continue". Nobody wanted to help me, neither online nor in person, so I closed my account on the spot. A huge pain. I have been with BOA for 10 years and never had to pay a fee for this before but they are just SO unwilling to be reasonable. This is the sort of thing that should have been a no brainer for them to refund. $30 is a lot of money to me, not to mention the principal of them sneaking this fee in after the fact.

Bank of America Corporation Logo Bank of America Corporation