AutoTrader.com / Scam and cheating

Houston, TX, United States Review updated:
3.9

I saw a 2005 Corolla listed for $3500 on Autotrader. I thought it was probably too good to be true, but e-mailed the seller out of curiosity. This car that was originally listed as being located only 10 miles or so away from where I live in Ohio was now located in Texas according to 'Greg'. How convenient... he said he had just moved. He also told me we'd do the transaction via Moneybookers. I found Moneybookers online, which was an escrow service ran out of the UK. Why would he a service out of UK?

I also discovered the car was no longer listed at all on Autotrader- not in Ohio and not in Texas. Oh and the shipping of the car was included in the $3500 price tag, which further provoked my need to delve into some research. He even gave me a VIN number when I asked for it. I was beginning to smell ### though and decided against paying to get a carfax report. Instead, I stumbled upon https://www.complaintsboard.com thanks to my handy googling work and read similar reports.

Sorry 'bout your luck Greg...
Va

Comments

Jo
  17th of Nov, 2009
I actually got took for $4500. Dan Ganski lived in iowa but was in the navy and said he was at kingsville naval base in TX. I actually sent the money for the 96 saleen mustang s281 and then dan ganski disapeared. Navy investigators wont help cause they cant find a record of him and no police department wants to help cause its not there jurisdiction. I'm pretty sure if I impersonated a naval seaman and defrauded someone out of about 5 grande in the process I'd be in deep ###. But no one seems to care that someone else did. Thats life.

AutoTrader.com Logo AutoTrader.com