AT&T Yellowpages

Posted:

beware of this scam

4.55
Do not advertise with at&t yellowpages! Beware of scam. When deciding whether or not to purchase internet advertising service on yellowpages.com, I asked the sales representative how many calls per week I could expect to receive. The sales representative advised that I could expect to receive 1-2 calls per week and then proceeded to justify the $154/mo payment in terms of 1-2 calls per week received. After starting the service in october 2006, I received one, and only one, call through the online advertisement through february 2007.

Five months, one call. Don't waste your money.

Before signing, I asked why they would hold me to a one-year contract when it's easy enough to pull the online ad if it wasn't working. And if they were so sure it would work for clients, they should have no qualms about allowing people to get out of 1-yr contracts. I tried to get out of contract, even through bbb, but alas, i'm stuck. Save your money and put it to better use. There are better ways to advertise your business than through at&t yellowpages.
Complaint comments Comments (38) Complaint country United States Complaint category Internet Services

Comments

N  4th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have also had terrible experiences with yellowpages.com since May.

In 2004 smartpages.com (owned by SBC) bought out yellowpages.com and merged the two sites together. Up until that point, I had a great relationship with yellowpages.com. I was notified of the merge and promised that it would not effect my national premium listing. I was told my position and rate would remain the same. When the merge took place, my ad dropped in positioning with them and our logo disappeared.

I called up the new yellowpges.com office to request that they repair these issues. They did put up our logo, however I would have to pay a HUGE increase in monthly advertising costs to to get our positioning back. I was very upset, however they refused to do anything about it.

08/2006, Vic Deverian (sales rep) offered me a 3 mo. contract to try a national tile ad for $4,126. 01/2007, I then called back to take advantage of this offer. I was then told the offer did not exist and I would have to purchase a 12 month contract at an even higher rate. After going through about 6 offices and many more reps, I called the Yellowpages.com Presidents office. I spoke with Rita Haynes (Executive assistant 866-228-0248). Rita took my complaint and assured me someone in her office would contact me to resolve this issue. The call never came. I called several more times and nothing.

05/08/07 Rita gave me a call to tell me that the offer never existed and more importantly my account was now past due. First, I was unaware we even still had an ad. My understanding was I cancelled in 01/2007 to negotiate a bigger ad. However, they did not cancel and kept billing me. Since her call, I sent in two payments. What I would like to know, is why would an executive assistant to the president be calling me to tell me this? They do have a collections department.

My ad remained up until 06/29/2007. HERE"S WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW. 06/29/07 yellowpages.com launched a new interface. This means they now had development costs to cover. So, for any reason possible they dropped tons of ads from their listings. WHY? - to force you into higher contracts and lock you in for 12 months! Tssk Tssk! This should leave you with a couple questions. 1. For a company who boasts about how many visitors it's site gets, why would they feel the need to lock you into long term contract? 2. Is yellowpages.com guilty of unfair business practices? - YES!

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
1. Immediately file a complaint with the Pasadena Better Business Bureau. www.labbb.org

2. File a complaint with the Dept of Consumer Affairs. www.consumeraffairs.co.la.us

3. File a complaint with the State of California.
www.usa.ca.gove

4. Post complaints with consumer Blogs everywhere! Continue to revisit them for updated information. WHY? - CLASS ACTION MAY COME UP

5. Call Rita Haynes in the Presidents Office. She has since become a "Executive Manager". 866-228-0248

6. Send a certified letter to the presidents office requesting immediate solution.
Yellowpages.com
7 North Fair Oaks Ave #200
Pasadena, CA 91103

I am asking anyone who has had a bad experience with yellowpages.com to contact me directly at selina@wellkneadedmassage.com. I will be posting formal yellowpages.com consumer blog.
A  1st of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
I am having almsot the identical problems as Selina above. It all started at the same dates... To make matters worse, even my priority placement is gone...so when a potential customer does a standard search, I am now at the bottom of the list...

Tried calling customer service, got nothing but a run around. Crummy rep tried to tell me that it may be that suddenly every other firm in my heading changed there contract to priority placement. (all 9, that's amazing salesmanship by ATT or just plan BS)...

Been waiting 2 1/2 months for them to update my add..they keep losing by logo and text... Still waiting on my account rep to fix all this... It has forced me to daily check the status of my adds... My advice is to think twice about placing ads with yellowpages online...

So far the return has been miserable, I get much better service and ROI from other internet sources.
A  28th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes
THEY'RE A COMPLETE SCAM! SAME PROBLEMS AS Selina.
A  26th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
I signed up with yellowpages.com may of 2007. From the very beginning, my ad was never right. My ad rep was sexually inappropriate after I had already signed up indicating he might have gotten a young ad rep co-worker drunk and taken advantage of her. When I tried to make changes to my ad either by phone or e-mail I never got a response back. My ad rep was fired and I did not find out for 6 weeks. I tried to reach anyone who could help me and I reached another ad rep and he said he would help me and would call me back on Sept 28th at 4pm to fix the problems, still no call back and when I would call or e-mail messages I would get no response. The ad had wrong prices about my business which upset customers and and the ad also had my home address instead of my business address which is 25 minutes away which customers that called didn't want to drive that far. Also, massage is a business that can be dangerous because of the Asian "happy ending" massage places giving a bad name. I did have a guy actually show up at my house wanting a massage one day and it scared that daylights out of me. I pretended that he must have made a mistake. The guy was creepy and I had been afraid to be in my house alone and I make my husband answer that door now. I am very disappointed in that way I was treated from this company, especially the fact that I was paying $2000 a month and no one even bothered to reassign me a new ad rep or return my calls or e-mails. What if I was raped or killed?
A  29th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
I got a goodwill adjustment on my ads and did not fax it back on time. They never said fax it back by this date to avoid collections.... they never warned my, but because i did not fax it back fast enough they sent me to collections. My Rep Jennifer Wolfe admitted the Ads were not up to par anymore since the SES campaign used Google for forever and recently the Google placement was not happening and they, AT&T, were doing busness with lower Search Engines...dogpile, lycos and lesser Search ENGINES. I paid $1529.00 a month to advertise with Dogpile??? Why? Thanks AT&T it must be great to change the quality of your product and then send your customers to collections after you ignore dispute over ad dispute.
P.S. It makes sense AT&T sells to anyone and Google realized the lack of quality of business advertisers AT&T brings was hurting Google. Yha, AT&T will sell ads to anyone and Google cut-em off. Google calls who they want to advertise now...based on your Google performance and if people like you. At least, Google has scruples...AT&T could learn a lot from them.
D  10th of Mar, 2008 by    -1 Votes
Selina Garrison, get your facts straight. First off, SBC/AT&T never offered 3 month contracts. We only offered 12 month contracts but for certain circumstances, mangt did approve 6 months contracts, especially for customers like yourself that were interested in a national placement, or had an existing national placement. 2nd, I had tried in vain with you and your partner to renew your advertising before the rates were to increase. Both you and your partner ignored my voice mails, and when I finally got you on the phone (your personal cell phone), you told me to call your partner and then hung up on me. When I finally reached your partner, he hung up on me as well. How many times dose a sales rep need to contact an advertiser before they give up? 3, 5, 10 times? 3rd you had a past due bill which customer service gave you several chances to get caught up, but after several broken promises by you and your partner, your advertising was pulled down from the site. It was after your ad was pulled that you started to call me, my manager, customer service and so on up the food chain with your story growing larger as you went. When I finaly heard that you were offered a 3 month contract I had to laugh because we just don't do that. Basically it was such an obvious lie, that your claim was vapid and could not and would not be taken seriously. It's to bad for you Selina, because when I had pulled your tracking reports for your national ad, you had well over 100,000 hits. Needless to say, your advertising program was a good investment simply based on the strong response from the tracking numbers. Why a business person like yourself Selina wouldn't renew their program is anyone's guess. In the future I would like to pass on this advice, before making bogus claims about myself and my company, pay your bill. Your claims might hold a little water if you didn't lie about what was offered to you and display the actions of a deadbeat. AT&T is now the most used online yellowpage site in California and the nation.
A  1st of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
I can certainly afford the $350 a month I am paying..., however their program has never resulted in more than one phone call in over 4 months now. We track all calls in and ask how they found us, we then log it into our "call sheet". We have had no emails as of yet that said they saw us at Yellowpages.com..., although those are tracked as well.

After my expierences with Yellowpages.com sales reps and what they promissed me, I would take Selinas side ...not good old "slick Vic" and his words of wisdom. Since I am doing fairly well in my business and I have two Lawyers now, I think I will see what can be done. If I cannot get Yellowpages.com to cancel my remaining few months, then as a webmaster I will certainly do all I can to create a heave Anti-Yellowpage.com ad campaign. Since they are totally online, and thats my playing field, we will see how it all turns out in the end.

Since I plan to step REAL HARD on their neck, I will not use my name... just yet.
N  1st of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
Wow, Vic. (wish I saw your e-mail earlier)
A for effort my friend.
F for providing facts.

Indeed, you did try in vain to get us to renew to a 12 month agreement at an OUTRAGEOUS inflated price. This would only benefit you. Naturally, we were not going to do that. WHY? Well, b/c...

#1 - you do not provide the volume you promised and indeed if renewing would have pushed our placement back up to get more calls...we wanted proof. Therefore, we were only interested in a trial period of which you DID offer b/c you wanted the contract so badly.
#2 - you provided no where near the hits you claim (yes we have our own hits tracker)

You know very well there was no reason to renew Vic. Yellowpages.com provided month to month for years after the initial 12 month contract. We had been much farther behind in billing and caught up as promised. We were no where as far behind in our billing when yellowpages.com chose to drop our listing. THIS WAS PURLEY A UNETHICAL BUSINESS PRACTICE BY AT&T. Your company is pathetic and will pay back the public.

WE ARE WORKING IN NUMBERS & WE WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE VIC!AT&T's DAY IS COMING! ...and you nasty sales people will be forced to play fair!

(Lesson to learn by large corporate America - the Internet is uniting people in a way you are unaware of. Be wise!)

Thank you to all the smaller & larger business that have joined forces with our team!
N  1st of May, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Vic,

I would also like to point out that your "customer service" HAD NEVER ONCE CONTACTED US ABOUT A PAST DUE BILL!

Who is the liar?

I'll tell you why they didn't...

Previously, Mini in customer service was our contact for making payments. Mini was great and we MADE ALL PAYMENTS AS AGREE WITH HER.

When we contacted you to engage into the 3 month trial, we then cancelled the existing listing. Oh but OOPS! AT&T yellowpages.com didn't cancel it. How incredibly surprising!

Suffice to say, the ad remained, but we never got one call about a past due bill. WHY? - B/C AT&T new what they were doing. They were allowing people to get past due to have a reason to drop their ads and force them into new agreements.

Huh, is it a coincidence that our ad dropped the exact same day yellowpages.com launched a new interface? Let the public decide.

TO THE PUBLIC...

HAVING PROBLEMS WITH AT&T Yellowpages.com? Address them to their "Senior Attorney".

AT&T Advertising & Publishing

Phone: 314-242-8830
Fax: 314-242-8850
Email: gr5785@att.com
N  14th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
An AT&T rep tell a lie? Ha Ha Ha! HE HE HE!
* They are trained Sick Willie's.
* They are the used car sales people of the advertising industry.
* However, their day is coming & the end is in sight!
* There deceptive practices are causing a snowballing reaction from the public.
* The people are angry.
* Small business simply want fair & ethical treatment.
* We want advertising that works.
* We don't want to pay for it when it doesn't work.
After all when AT&T purchases a product or service & it doesn't work they want their money back right.

We where told by an At&t rep that for web advertising to be productive we had to be on the first page. To get on the first page we had to purchase points, 1400 points at a cost of $434.00 per month. When the ad came out we where on the second page. The sales person was intentially deceptive. As of today 5-months later we have received a grand total of one call. That one call cost us $2, 170.00. HELLO, AT&T YOUR WEB SITE IS NOT WORKING. Your sales people are lieing just to make the sale. I know this is falling on deaf ears & I know you don't care. I also want you to know that I will make every effort to tell everyone about my personal experience. The internet reaches untold numbers of people.
WAKE UP AT&T !YOU COULD SCREW PEOPLE IN THE PAST & GET AWAY WITH IT BUT IT IS A NEW WORLD TODAY. THE INTERNET PUTS THE GOOD & THE BAD IN THE SPOTLIGHT.
A  19th of May, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Wow, I looked at the first post and thought I was reading a play by play of what's happened to me since I started advertising through AT&T. The sales rep all but guaranteed I'd see an increase in business. I'd say since October (when my ad went live) I've gotten 2 calls in response to my AT&T ad. Then I read down further and nearly fell over at how many people have had the same horrible experience. Seems that AT&T don't bat an eye taking advantage of small businesses.
A  28th of May, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have seen my poor brother-in-law get scammed by these people for the past 8 months. I have evidence that a ton of click fraud occurred, and they posted his advertisements 1000s of miles outside of his geographical location, though all he asked for was within his immediate area (a small county).

I still don't understand why Yellowpages.com is in business. The net is full of complaints like this. I just hope enough people spread the word to keep others from joining on. What a bunch of crooks. Over the course of a $2400 contract, my brother in law got one call for a plumbing job, and it was from a confused customer on the other side of the country!!! That's it. I have given him a better chance through posting craigslist ads and adding some SEO to his website.

If I ever see the slick salesmen who stopped by at my house while he was working there, I will throw eggs at them. What a bunch of liars. The reason that people don't get calls is because they do the following:
- Have people perform click fraud for them (my opinion and I can only partitially prove this through IP records and mathematical probability)
- Serve ads way outside of the target area, and even in foreign countries
- Serves ads on spybot style pages that are just heaps of crap that pop up and get ignored or closed
N  1st of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
The AT&T yellow pages are guilty of misleading & deceptive trading practices.
If they where not so asurb, it would be almost comical.Those old enough remember Lily Tomlins Ernestine the Bell Phone Company swith board operator. Her responce to complaints "We don't care. We don't have to. We are the phone company!
It seems things haven't changed with the new owner AT&T. Their patent responce to complaints is "Sorry You're Under Contract.
Through research I have found that complaints are so acute that some industry experts are recommending AT&T customers concider dumping AT&T.
J D Powers reports that AT&T plunged from a 4 of 5 rating in 03 to a 2 OF 5 rating this year.
In addition the MSM web site reports The AT&T Corp is in an deteriortating financal condition & recently fell to a junk bond status. Could not have happened to a nicer buch of guys.
I personally will dedicate every spare moment of my time to tell everyone about my negative experience with AT&T.
If you are concerding doing business with The AT&T Dream Crushers think again. People these days get refferals from friends & relatives for products or services or they go to the internet.
A  29th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have had a year of many calls to the yellow pages to tell them I was scamed by the salesman I didn't even order the internet or any extra advertising. After reading the many other complaints I realise I was scamed and my bill is so high, I have not been able to pay. Now they have turned it over to collections.They too have been caught not being truthful. Has any body been through this that can give me some helpful advice ????pS I NEVER GOT EVEN ONE CUSTOMER FOR THIS ADVERTISING.
A  31st of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
I've had similar issues with AT&T and Yellowpages.com.

In April 2008 I've bought a platinum advertising space on Yellowpages.com. As I started realizing that I wasn't getting any calls, even though it was pretty much the most expensive type of ad I could get from them, I started to feel cheated and I wanted to terminate my submission. But as I called the Customer Service I found out that I was bound to the contract for a WHOLE YEAR and was supposed to keep paying until April 2009.

According to them, there is absolutely NO WAY of getting out of the contract before that date. I thought that was strange and terribly inconvenient for me, as I wasn't getting any ROI out of this deal. Then I call Customer Service again after a couple of days and another of their so called "agents" now tells me that I will be able to get out of the deal earlier than April 2009 if I disconnect my phone line. I thought that's a strange way to end a contract, but I did it nonetheless, on July 9th.

According to them, I would be charged 28 DAYS AFTER DISCONNECTION even though I obviously would not get ANY calls since my phone was disconnected, so basically they'd charge me for nothing. I said okay, instead of paying until 2009 I will pay the 28 days and terminate the account (less money spent with this awful company).

A couple of calls later (previous calls were just me being LIED TO MY FACE by their agents that I need some sort of disconnection notification from my phone company, then their own people saying that I, in fact, don't need this letter and SUPPOSEDLY their agent went ahead and marked my account as terminated), so I called Customer service again and I get this lady saying that my submission was not marked as terminated and in fact she needed to call my phone company to "find out the date I disconnected my phone line".

She said she would do that and call me back later because supposedly the phone company was in a meeting (a lie). She called me after a couple of hours, and instead of calling the phone company she told me that she didn't and she will instead need to notify their Internet Advertising Department that I am requesting termination. This, after dozens of calls and after again being lied to my face.

I smelled bull**it AGAIN so I asked to speak to a supervisor. She said she can't pass a supervisor on to me because "they are in a meeting", but that she'll go ahead and send out the note to the internet department (she wanted her way). I said "I want to speak to a supervisor NOW" and she said I'd have to hold, so I said I'll hold, no matter how much time I'd have to hold.

I am right now waiting for the supervisors' "meeting" to end so I can speak to one (been holding for about 30 mins).

AT&T and Yellowpages.com are, without a doubt, THE MOST UNSCRUPULOUS AND DECEIVING COMPANIES I've ever had the displeasure to use. Ever since I've started this termination process, all that I've gotten from them were LIES, LIES and MORE LIES and DECEIT. Their customer service is the WORST customer service I've ever dealt with, their so called "agents" are trained to lie and lead their customers on just so that they get one more month of money's worth.

If you respect yourself and don't need any headaches or can't afford to spend your money FOR NOTHING in return, then do yourself a great favor and STAY AWAY FROM AT&T AND YELLOWPAGES.COM! They are absolutely THE WORST company I've ever used, in every way, starting from their deceitful ways and ending with their extremely poor service.

I will make sure more people learn of my experience with these THIEVES, that's for sure. And like many more of their customers commenting above, I NEVER GOT ONE SINGLE CUSTOMER COMING FROM THEM.
A  1st of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have been paying $900/month for the past 4 months. I have ever never get even one business from yellowpages.com. If any of you thinking about lawsuit with them. I will join.
A  2nd of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
I won't go into my long story at this time, but i've been promised top listings in 2 categories which i'm currently 6th and 12th, also I was promised a set amount of referrals to my site from yellowpages and I might be getting 1/4 of them if that. One thing I might recommend to others, i'm no lawyer so take this advice on your own, would be to contact someone from your local news station. My local tv station has a person who you can contact if business does you wrong and so it may be a way to get the word out to your local area and a good part of your state and in turn hopefully inform others on what not to do.

PJ
A  11th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
I too am unhappy with AT&T's internet advertising. I was told I would be charged only if I received calls / customers. I would not be charged by clicks. I received an update today that I had received 38 clicks in January 2009. I know I didn't receive38 calls in January maybe 2 calls at the most. I had already decided not to go with anything that would charge me by clicks so I made sure I asked that question. When I call to have my contract renegotiated they tell me your stuck with it until it expires. If I want to add to a contract I don't have to wait until it expires but if I want to renegotiate at a less rate I have to wait. They don't care if you have problems paying the high amount (which gets you nothing). They would prefer to have a unhappy / nonpaying customer. Than a happy customer at a lower rate. I also found no one at AT&T wants to talk to you when you call them, but they'll call you constantly trying to get you to upgrade.
A  15th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
ATT sucks they had me sign up( I was willing to sign) but all I asked was for me to get a web site up and running before I signed on ( a 30 day period is what I was aking for) They had 6 premium spots and I was going to get # 3 or 4 but they were going fast so I better do it now! I said wait till its done but alas it was put thru. I did not know this was done till the first bill came thru They were new to my area and just starting out.
Well I got my site done and it took 3/4 weeks to get them to put it up for which I still was paying for to hit a buttton and have the site up...arguments ensuded it was up for about 6 months and I got 1 call 2 additional was from sales org.s trying to sell online ads tune of costs for that 1 call 1800.00 plus I refused to pay I am in collection..my sales rep said a ton of biz would come in they are the best and the most used onsite yellow page ad...well I learned never to do online ads with yellow page co's at all pay someone else to keep you up front on google and yahoo you DO NOT NEED YELLOW PAGES ONLINE... pay someone else and your satisfaction most likely will be positive!A biz. wants to stand out by itself or as close to as possible. if you do convetional ads with the yellow pages (any one of them) the monies they charge is a least 1 employee or more. they get the biz calls coming in (a needed enemy) I do not think you need them as much a s they try to make you think they do!
I am paying approx. 37K a year for Y/pages books I will die before I pay them for online ads. someone else will earn that...a small co./person that will earn their KEEP! thanks for letting me rant.
N  16th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
This company did the same thing to me. I had on line advertising with them for a year. It produced very good results for the first two months of the contract, then strangely dropped off to almost nothing i. e. one call a month or less. The quality of customer was poor also, but an agreement is an agreement so I paid for it. The new sales rep came in and used some wonderful guarantees and promises, (with these upgrades you will get 1350 points bringing you up on the list, etc.) Nothing changed, I actually lost my logo and my ranking decreased. Diane Smith was a good liar. Well, as most people here know the complaint department does not really exist. Apparently AT&T does not make mistakes so they do not have any need for follow up.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree