AT&T / outrageous rates on int'l long distance calls

1 8852 Applegate LaneSandy Springs, GA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 7705598315

We signed up with AT&T for their bundle on my voice and dsl internet & dish network (which i already have) around nov/2007. I made international phone calls on Christmas day (cut-off day was dec 28). When the bill came sometime on the second week of january, my bill was over $500. I had forgotten this stupid trick of enrolling yourself and pay $5/month to avail of the discounted rate. I was charged $3.17/min whereas if i enrolled, the rate dramatically drops to less than 20 cents/min.

I paid that bill and called them to set up international long distance. Meanwhile, i have been calling internationally new year's day and several days after 4th of january when a family member died. Needless to say that i talked for hours. I thought that they would retract my rate since I've shown good faith. We had Vonage for a long time before we switched over to AT&T. Vonage is true to their word. They don't have hidden fees - they charged you for your actual minutes used and you don't have to enroll yourself to avail a discounted rate.

When i received my next bill, it was a whopping $1000.00. I called them immediately, but they said that they couldn't do nothing about it. I asked for the manager and they promised me that a supervisor should call me within the next 24 hours. I even gave them my cell phone number. Nobody called me and then the next bill came and I called them again. This time, they said that it is over 60 days. And on top of that, the representative i talked to had the audacity to ask me to switch my cellphone from VERIZON to AT&T... what nerve!! The final bill that i paid was $1500.00 which really made my wifee cry. With 2 kids in a 1 income household, we are really financially tight. We are no longer with ATT, we switched over to COMCAST and bundled everything now. COMCAST cust service is not the greatest, but i would rather deal with them than being conned (I am sorry, but that is how i feel -- that was so dirty -- and a very, very old ploy --- there are a lot of options nowadays as far as communications is concerned --- I will never ever be a part of ATT for as long as i have another option... and i hope those options would still be available. ATT seems to be slowly trying to monopolize the industry. I dread to see the day when i would run out of options/choices.

And when we signed up, we were made to believe that we are to receive a $50.00 cash back. When we called them to claim it, they said that cash back didn't exist. They are just a bunch of scam artists (BIG TIME).

Ke

Comments

• Va
      18th of Jul, 2008
    AT&T - Never use them
    AT&T
    att.com

I signed up with at&t because i was informed i would have coverage in my area. It seems i can get coverage in japan but not in my own house or yard. I have emailed and talked to customer support-no help-phones have had multiple problems-they are unwilling to exchange. We can't get signals, one razors screen just went completley black, i couldn't retrieve my voicemails for months-all they could say is we have a contract and we're stuck. No one would go even a little above and beyond to help-if we cancelled our contract they would charge us $175 per phone to do this. We feel this is unfair because we were misled about how great their coverage was. I would never recommend them to anyone!

• Ki
      22nd of Aug, 2008

I have a similar story which I won't go into. It's completely a cloak and dagger way to do business. They know consumers aren't expecting to pay that kind of rates and they do everything to make sure you're NOT informed of what you'll be paying.

• Re
      12th of Sep, 2008

Oh yes and you are perfect too right?