Ashley Furniture / peeling leather couch

2 Frisco, TX, United States Review updated:

I purchased a whole leather living room set from ashley home store in frisco on february 19, 2007. I also purchased the 5 year warranty. It was delivered to me on march 5th 2007. What I have is a leather reclining sofa, reclining leather love seat and leather rocker recliner, all the same brand & material.

We have had no problems until this past week. Our furniture is peeling, yes peeling. The salesman assured me that it was 100% leather wherever our bodies touched. I wasn't aware that leather was supposed to peel, it just flakes off. It looks horrible and it's only 9 months old!

Yesterday I called the insurance people and they basically told me that 'peeling' was specifically not covered, although stabbing with a knife was. So if I stab my couch 'accidentally' they will fix it for free for 5 years but since it is defective and peeling it is not covered.

I then called the ashley home store where I purchased the furniture and asked to speak to the manager, they asked why and I explained my problem to them. They then said that I would have to let a customer service person know and they would take care of my problem. I went through the whole speech with the customer service lady and she explained that they would be happy to come and look at my defective furniture and see what, if anything, needed to be done about it. I was very upset and asked if I could just get my money back (since it's already paid in full) or exchange it
For some other type of real leather furniture in their store. They then told me that they would 'repair' any defective furniture or replace the cushion for up to one year then after that I am on my own. They said that peeling leather is not uncommon. On january 11th, the ashley technician came to review the issue. He immediately saw the problem and then started peeling back more of the leather. Now there is a huge 2 - 3 inch spot that is totally peeled away.

He was very friendly and very insightful. He told me that he could replace the one cushion and the other 8 or so spots that are peeling he could 'paint' them when he repaired the cushion. He said that my paint was peeling off of my leather. I wasn't aware that leather was painted. When I showed him other pieces of leather furniture that I own that haven't ever peeled (but show wear) he let me know that furniture isn't made the same way it used to be. He said that in the past things had better quality and held up better.

I also told him of the extended warranty that I purchased that was good for 5 years, but did not cover peeling leather. I told him that didn't understand
Why it didn't cover that and why the manufacturer only covered peeling leather for one year. If it peels, it should be replaced or refunded no matter how long you have had it!

I expressed how unsatisfied that I was with the product and asked if I could just get a refund and purchase quality furniture from a business that stood behind their product. He replied no, that ashley doesn't give refunds anymore. He said it was 'cheaper' for them to hire someone to go 'repair' it, even if it was numerous times than to refund the money back to the customer. I asked him if he had anyashley furniture in his home, he replied no maam, I wouldn't have any of that furniture in my home. When I asked why, he said that it wasn't good quality. That is pretty sad when your own employee says that about your products! I need to get this resolved, as I don't want a couch with an orange circle on it in my family room.

After hearing the technicians advice and knowledge it made me wonder why anyone does business with ashley furniture. I know one thing, I will not be back. They need to have higher standards and make sure their customers are happy, then they would have a great referrals and repeat customers.

I have filed a complaint with the bbb and they sent it to "tom" and he emailed back saying that since a 'technician' was scheduled to be at my house on the 11th he considers this issue resolved. I don't think so!

I called the credit card (which happened to be the store card) and wanted to dispute the charges, they said I couldn't dispute unless ashley refused to 'repair' my couches. I asked if painting fake leather meant repair, she didn't answer. Needless to say the account is paid off and cancelled and I am telling everyone I know to never do business with ashley furniture again.

I thought it was odd that the other 3 leather pieces of furniture that we have owned for years has no signs of peeling whatsoever and looks better than my 9 month old ashley furniture!

Comments

• Ge
      19th of Oct, 2010
    Ashley Furnitiure - Rip off
    Ashley Furnitiure

Ashley furniture store in Yuba City, CA (now out of business) sold us a leather chair/ottoman that was delievered WRAPPED & IN A BOX & the when we unwrapped it the chair hard 2 tears in the material. It also had a piece of wood that would protrude out of the back & strech the leather when someone sat on it. I called & they insisted on sendiong out a tech to fix the tears. HE "forgot his cell phone" on the day he was suppose to come out & showed up @ a different time other than our appointment had been agreed upon. I ended up taking a 1/2 day off work for nothing. WHen I called the store in CHico back they finally aggreed to order a new chair (but since the store in our town closed we would be charged $60 delievery fee). I STILL haven't received the new chair & it's going on 2 months. The Chico store is now closing & I don't know if I'll ever get it replaced.

• Se
      20th of Oct, 2010
    Ashley Furniture - Run away from them
    Ashley Furniture

We ordered a sofa, recliner, accent recliner, and bed for my son from Ashley Furniture in Concord California. As a side note the accent recliner was a discontinued model so we ended up purchasing the floor model. The salesman said that it would take 1 to 3 weeks for delivery for all items. It ended up taking about 6 weeks for the delivery. This delay is understandable. When the products finally arrived the sofa and bed were both damaged. The plastic that is meant to protect the sofa was actually glued to the seat cushions. When the delivery guy attempted to pull off the plastic the leather actually started to tear. At that point they stopped and placed it back on the truck. The bed, model Embrace, has two sets of drawers that we purchased. One set had scratches on the edge of the drawers. The bed color is a dark brown almost black. My mother in law walked in on the delivery guy and he was coloring in the scratches with a sharpie. At that point she stopped him and took some pictures with her phone. The accent chair was not even on the truck. The delivery guy said that it was on back order. In reality it was sitting at the Concord store waiting for them to pick it up. I guess it was input into the system wrong. Everything was okay with the recliner and that is now our only family room seating until we get this mess resolved. I now get to spend the next month on countless phone calls trying to get their mess straightened out. As for the store, they are absolutely no help once you walk out of the store. All they have done is direct me to the customer service because they are not authorized to do anything and the manager never seems to be available. Before you buy from Ashley think about my experience. Here is a recap. 1. Out of 4 items that were to be delivered, only one was acceptable. This is a 75 percent error rate. 2. Someone in administration had to input the order wrong into the system, someone in manufacturing had to place glue on the sofa, someone in manufacturing or delivery had to scratch the bed, and someone in delivery tried to hide the damages by coloring them in with an ink pen. This is not an isolated issue, rather a problem throughout the organization. 3. If a product arrives damaged they reserve the right to repair the damages. So don't think they are going to order you a new one and replace it. I will most likely get a refurbished unit even though I paid for a new one. 4. Customer support will give you two options, neither of which is acceptable. 5. It is now 7 days later and I am no where closer to getting what I paid for. In fact, I have yet to receive a call with an update

• Ou
      20th of Oct, 2010
    Ashley Furniture - Lies to me
    Ashley Furniture

I purchased a couch and chair from Ashley's in Portland Oregon on 82nd ave and regret every second of that purchase. While in the store taking with the salesman Mr. House he lied to me about how the chair I wanted would hug the wall. I got a chair that has to be 14" away from the wall to recline. When I got the counter to pay I was informed by Mr. House and another lady that I had 30 days to exchange the furniture if for some reason I was not happy with it. I went back to the store 8 days later to make arrangements to have the furniture picked up and to pick out something different when I was informed that I only had 48 hours to exchange the furniture and given a phone number to call. The only thing they will do is repair any thing that may be broken. If you are thinking of going to Ashley's run the other way, THEY WILL LIE TO YOU AND THEN ***!!!

• Bf
      19th of Nov, 2010

coffee stins on my funiture

• Po
      19th of Nov, 2010

Nothing worse than a stin.

• Te
      1st of Jan, 2011

my sister and brother bought a beautiful leather sofa and 2 reciners from Lazyboy..they've had the set for over two years now and have never EVER conditioned their furniture..whoever is saying you have to condition it it probably an employee of ashleys..one older woman, maybe in her late 70's, was at the store in huntsville alabama one day when i was there waiting for the doors to open..i was telling her about my horrific experience with den furniture and she told me that she had bought a sectional leather for her den..when it was delivered, the pieces didn't line up properly..she said it was very obvious..call after call later, they finally agreed to let her return the furniture with a 10% restocking fee and the balance in store credit only..she told me it had been over 11 months and the problem still had not been resolved..mind you, the furniture was defective..but since this elderly woman signed the delivery slip, ashley says it's her problem..they train their drivers to make the customer believe that they are in a hurry or running late, a storm is coming in, traffic is terrible, several more stops to make, they are overworked, etc..in other words, they get the customer to feel sorry for them so that the form will be signed..then any damage found afterwards is YOURS TO DEAL WITH!!! i will never step foot in this craphole again..

• Dr
      10th of Feb, 2011
    Ashley Furniture - Altamonte - Terrible Service
    Ashley Furniture - Altamonte
    altamonte
    Florida

We purchased a living room and dining room set from Ashley. The living room set was a sectional. They said the wedge would be delayed a day or two but they could deliver the living room love seats the next week. After receiving them, we decided that the measurements that we had taken in the store were incorrect and instead of two loveseats, we could use one love seat and one sofa to make the sectional. I called Ashley's and informed that it had been 7 days and they have a 3-day exchange policy. I explained I still didn't have the whole set and that I had spent over $3, 000 with them. They refused to exchange. I told them I would take the floor model; they refused to exchange. They then told me that the wedge that was supposed to be delivered 2 days ago, would not be delivered until next week. I should have known they were not reputable when they started changing the price on the cleaning insurance for the set. It started at a couple of hundred and they kept lowering the price, finally offering to take $70 off my total if I would pay $25 for the insurance. Shady, Shady, Shady...

• Jw
      17th of Feb, 2011
    Ashley Furniture - Paid for bedroom suit almost a month ago, still no delivery!
    Ashley Furniture

I purchased a new bedroom suit from Ashley Furniture almost a month ago. Sales lady told me since all furniture was in stock I would have delivery within a week. I received a call 2wks later asking to set up delivery day. It was cancelled 2x due to bad weather (understandable). The day before third delivery attempt was oging to be made I was called and told that part of bed did not make it to warehouse. They had 2 times to see this was the case. First when loading, another when unloading. I was told it could be several weeks before actual delivery would be made. Everytime I call to try and get something done I spend about 40mins on hold and get no where. No one knows what to do or who to talk to. Ashley Furniture has been a BIG mistake and is a huge unorganized mess. I will never exchange with them again!

• Er
      3rd of Mar, 2011

I'm having the same problem. Ashley 1st told me when I purchased my sofa, love seat, recliner at dining table with 4 chairs that it would be delivered on 3/9. Because my sofas will not fit through the door delivery date was changed to 3/11 because another company has to do the work to take the sofa apart. I was fine with that but then 4 days later I get a call that there was a delay with the manufacture and the sofa and love seat has to be delivered on 3/25 or 3/26. I told the manager if I was told about this from day one I would of taken my business else where. Now they don't want to give me my full refund because I signed a contract which was too long to read when I was at the store before I signed it. I needed my furniture before my grand daughters birthday party on the 19th. Now I have cancel the party because I don't have any where for the people to sit. Manager only offered to deliver the recliner and table on the 19th and a 20% off on future order. I told him I'm never going to shop there again that is for sure and I won't recommend them to nobody.

• Wh
      7th of Mar, 2011
    Ashley Furniture - Stop Before You Purchase Anything From Them
    Ashley Furniture

I ordered furniture from Ashley Furniture in Houston, Tx. on San Felipe Street. However, Paid Cash for it, was promised a delivery date, ok... after waiting beyond time for the furniture, I received just one item wrong color, ok supposedly got that correct, reordered. still waiting on sleeper sofa, finally came and it was scratched up, reordered again, remind you I'm still waiting on the right color recliner, not to mention they promised me a delivery date, I traveled 400 miles to be back at home for arrival of my sleeper sofa, I waited, no sleeper sofa arrived, then I finally received it and it was scatched up terrible, I'm probably going in circles with this story cause this is the way I received it, brought out another sleeper sofa, delivery people took the plastic off of the sofa, and dragged it on concrete, then tried to cover it up with a marker, had to wait on another one, still no recliner, so I told them just forget it, give me my money back, no they wanted to send me a 50.00 gift card, which they did, and promised to have my furniture delivered on a specific date, and they would honor me with another 75.00 gift card, still haven't received it, I was according to them mail out a month ago, ha.

DO NOT BUY FROM ASHLEY FURNITURE, I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THEM. AND WHAT CAN I GET OUT OF THE STORE FOR 50.00. I HAVE PICTURES OF THE DELIVERY TEAM DRAGGING MY FURNITURE ON THE CONCRETE, AND TRYING TO COVER IT UP WITH A MARKER...SAD SITUATION...

17th of Mar, 2011

I have the same problem with a sofa that we bought almot 3 years ago. It's peeling off real bad, it looks so ugly. We got it from the Furniture Place which went out of business a couple of years ago, but it's Ashley's brand. I got the same answer from the Warranty people, it does not cover wear and tear. I do not have small children or pets, the furniture is hardly ever used. My sofa looks like it has a disease, and it's spreading all over. All I got was "we are very sorry this was not explained to you when you purchased the warranty". Norma, NY

• Sk
      6th of May, 2011
    Ashley Furniture - Still no refund
    Ashley Furniture

We ordered $2000.00 in furniture from Ahsley Furniture on march 4th. The furniture was placed on backorder. on march 27 we decided that we had waited long enough and we just wanted our money back. they agreed, and told us it would be no problem. we finally on April 7th were told they mailed out a check... Today. April 20th we still have not recieved a check. they are telling me there is nothing they can do they did their part in mailing out the check.. and that its out there somewhere. we asked that they put a stop payment on the checkand issue us a new one. they responded with it must be 30 days after they mailed the check before they address an issue.. I have tried calling the corporate office and they said only the store manager can help me. and the store manager says they cant do anything that corporate is the only one that can fixthe problem and this is what their solution is! I have contacted the BBB and the news. STILL NO MONEY!!! I am wondering with all the complaints I am reading if they are suffering as a business and holding back on sending out refunds.. if you go to http://ecorporateoffices.com/AshleyFurniture-1690 you will see 20 pages of more complaints!!

• Wa
    Ashley Furniture - Terribly run business
    Ashley Furniture

i ordered a king size Ashley furniture bedroom suite in March 2011 from payless furniture in greensboro NC(driving by spur of the moment kind of thing). my fiance and I found one we really liked and it seemed like a good deal (checked with Ashley direct store and it was a little better price), paid $1, 068.51(half the price) up front. Im told it may take up to 3 weeks for it to come in. I call back after over 4 weeks pass and I have not heard anything about my furniture and get an attitude from the salesman that sold me the furniture and told me up to 3 weeks for the timeline. Then he told me they had the order coming in on May 5th(that puts it over 5 weeks) but he doubts that it even comes in then. i get a call the next day from the store manager who tells me he is sorry for the attitude i recieved the day before from the salesman and for the delay in the furniture. then he tells me he called to check on the delivery date and he tells me they have it coming in on May 20th(thats over 2 months waiting time). They say it is Ashley furniture's fault and give me a number to call, but I cant ever get anyone to answer or return messages. This is absolutly rediculous, how can no one tell me where my furniture is or when my furniture will come in .

• La
    Ashley Furniture - Sales misrepresentation
    Ashley Furniture

Not Happy!!!We bought a couch a week ago. Wanted to possibly get the chair that goes with it, but needed to go home and measure the space. Was told by the sales person that we could get the chair for the sale price. Went back a few days later(soonest we could)and they would not honor the sales price any more. Will never shop Ashley furniture again and will tell all my friends and family not to shop there ever, also.

• Th
      11th of May, 2011

Did you really think a store would honor a sale price indefinitely? You should have gone back the same or next day, or maybe used something called a phone. While you are telling all your friends, be sure to let know you were a dunce.

• Be
      24th of May, 2011
    Ashley Furniture - Lousy service
    Ashley Furniture

4/11/11 I ORDERED A MARION ROUND TABLE FROM ASHLEY FURNITURE STORE BUT DID NOT RECEIVED A ORDER CONFIRMATION E MAIL. YOU WITHDRAW THE MONEY BUT LEFT ME WONDERING ABOUY THE ORDER.

• Kb
      25th of May, 2011

I too have Ashely furniture that is peeling. Wow! the All three pieces are peeling I don't care what the people are saying the furniture shouldn't peel like that I have had other leather furniture that didn't peel like this does. It's horrible I will never buy with Ashely's again. Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

• Kb
      25th of May, 2011

mine is peeling too. I'm discussed.

• Dn
      29th of May, 2011

I wish that I would have read these reviews BEFORE I spent $2000 on a "leather" sectional from Ashley. I haven't even received it yet and am already anticipating "peeling" problems. I went so far as to check my bank account to see if they have cashed my check yet(which they have) so that I could put a "stop payment" on it! I guess that WHEN the peeeling starts, I am going to have to take a knife to each area of the peeling at different times(hence single incidences) and then call the extended warrenty company to come out and replace each piece. I will do this for the entire 5 years if need be!

• Al
      22nd of Jun, 2011

hi,
    i just want everyone to know about this sofa and love seat we bought from the room store of miskelly- pearl ms in 2006 and the sales person said where ever your body touches its leather, beliveing him we decided not to get any insurance on because leather is durable so we dont need it, but after a year we were amaze to see our leather sofa was pealing off. Could'nt do anything about it bought sofa cover and tried so hard to cover it, we fully paid it off the next month the date we bought it from so we had to make a best of it.