Argos / mattress faulty in under a year

1 London, England, Greater London, United Kingdom

I placed an order with Argos on 18/3/2014 .The order was for £297.42 including a dalton 4ft6 bed
frame and a mattress. M y complaint is with the mattress on this order . The mattress proved faulty before the year was out.

I used the Live Chat on the Argos website and spoke to a member Argos staff on 6/3/15 and he told me the mattress was covered by a 1 year warranty. I could choose a replacement mattress or buy another one, and if higher in value, could pay the difference.

I asked him if Argos needed to view the mattress and he said and I quote here:

" We don't come to view the
mattress, we trust our customers, and if you say
the item is faulty, we are happy to exchange it
for a different mattress of your choice as we can
no longer supply the same one"

When I subsequently used the chat service to try to sort the matter out another member of Argos staff told me they needed the old mattress.

I do not have it as I dumped it. I had no where to store it and from the words of their staff I got the feeling they were not interested in viewing the mattress before I ordered a replacement. Every time, without exception, when you take items back to Argos, they always inspect or "view" the goods before they change them or refund you. When I was told they had no interest in viewing the faulty item, I naturally thought it was up to me to dispose of the item accordingly.

As a result, they are refusing to honour the warranty, and I am £110 out of pocket!!

Ge