Argos / Camera and their general customer service

Stafford England Staffordshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

I bought a camera from Argos which almost immediately had issues. My written communications were ignored for months - it's very hard to get in touch online - and when Argos did finally reply to an e address I had to work hard to find, I had short robotic unsatisfactory replies which had comprehension issues. I had provided proof of purchase but the camera had also damaged other devices, and I sought goodwill for that.

I was asked to go into store and then that they couldn't print off receipts (already shown to them) in " a time window" - and had not raised a complaint to handle as such. And then told me that they couldn't "move forward" - because they were repeating things, and only over 2 days - when I'd been chasing emails to them for many weeks!

I said that returning to a store was inconvenient, and after the trouble already suffered, was not suitable. The success of my going to a store depends on the staff I see that day. It was now a while after the purchase date, due to their own delays; and I have no proof of the many communications already sent or any promises made by Argos. I was not seeking a simple return and refund, but further goodwill, and I knew that a local store would fob me to head office for that and so my trip into town would be wasted.

They then said that if I wanted to make a formal complaint, I needed to write in the post, and refused to send the email conversation onto HQ.
I said it had been a formal complaint for 4 months already. I received the same preformatted reply. Even though I had no printing facility at the time - another shoddy product from Argos not working - they still said they couldn't perform what I'd asked.

It took a month to hear from the correspondence department, going well over the deadline I gave them.

Argos's suggestion of my return goods to their HQ were unsatisfactory on a number of levels.

One, no postage cost was offered. Then, I lose the item whilst Argos tests it - using its own employees - in my absence to decide if they are at fault. It is very likely that they would decide in their own favour.

I also said that the damaged item, not bought from them, had personal material on it and so I did not want that falling into another's hands for privacy reasons.

Argos seemed unconcerned at the loss of my long custom, unaware of statutory rights: they said that a cheque if I returned the item was goodwill. To return a faulty item in exchange for a refund is standard statutory right, not a goodwill gesture, which is over and above those rights - as I explained. They also didn't at first specify if I'd get money back, and never did say how much, and if it would cover the losses associated with the camera as well as the camera's value.

I asked this to go to a manager, which was never done.

Then they said, get legal advice but implied that there was nothing that could be done for me, so effectively, they had won.

I advised that this was not so, and judging by the amount of bad experiences on sites like these, Argos had work to do to survive.

Due to privacy as well as length, I have summarised here.

I remain very angry at Argos, and have had no even real apology let alone any recompense, and feel very frustrated at this policy led cut and paste handling. I pointed out on balance it was likely I had really suffered what I said or why would I bother to keep writing?

Vi
Jan 16, 2017

Comments

• Le
      18th of Jan, 2017

Sorry to hear about your retail complaint with Argos, if you wish we can help resolve this for you easily and quickly. Our new online Law Firm Go Complain offers a one-off fixed fee legal complaint service for only £29.99 for goods bought up to the value of £3, 000 and as a law firm we fully understand your consumer rights and are experts in this field.

For this fee we handle everything about your complaint from calls to correspondence direct with the company, whether it’s a return, refund, exchange, credit note, mis-sold to you, terrible customer service or faulty goods, both in store and online. You simply submit the complaint to us and we manage it on your behalf, removing the time consuming calls, emails and stress so you can get on with your life.

Please be aware that we are a SRA registered law firm not a claims handler or administration company we offer a legal evaluation, advice and service for your complaint all within the fee.
    For any refunds or compensation we may win for you it goes directly to your bank account and we do not charge any extra fees, just the one-off fixed fee taken at application.
    As a law firm we can also escalate your complaint through the courts if we feel you have a strong case.

All you need to do is complete our online form and upload any photos of correspondence, receipts and the product and we take care of the rest.
    Simply visit http://bit.ly/2iHCJ3a and start your complaint now, and then relax.