Applebee's / unwarranted treatment

My family and I went to Applebee’s after being at the pool to have a late lunch on Friday, June 08, 2007. We wanted to have a nice family lunch, just relax and enjoy our time at Applebee's, as we have in the past. NOT anymore! Our server was great however, when the food came out I took a bite of my chicken & portabella mushroom sandwich and thought it was good so I proceeded to give a bite to my wife. She took a bite and there was a piece of plastic in the sandwich. We were very surprised since we've never experienced anything like this at your restaurants before. Nothing was asked of the server. I showed her the plastic and she took it to the back saying she would get us a replacement. No problem. We did not ask for our meals to be free, we did not ask to be compensated; we did not ask anything at all. The server offered to get us a new sandwich. A few minutes later, the kitchen manager came out and proceeded to Sininsinuate to us that we "purposely" put the plastic in the sandwich. He went on and on and on about how he personally made the sandwich and that he would never do such a thing and there was no such plastics inside of the restaurant. Fine, but the point is that the plastic WAS INDEED in the sandwich. He then said that he would make us another sandwich but then would have to charge us for TWO sandwiches. OBSURD! We did not cause a scene when we discovered the sandwich had plastic in it, but then it became a blown out fiasco with him trying to convince US, that we put the plastic in the sandwich.

I was angry, my wife was furious, and we asked to speak with the manager and the kitchen manager informed us that there was no other manager in the restaurant our waitress informed us otherwise and had the manager stop by our table. Still not causing a scene the manager came out and defended his kitchen manager, WITHOUT apologizing in any way, shape or manner for what had happened, and he also began to insinuate that we put the plastic in the sandwich. He sat there and looked at us as if were making up some grand story to get out of paying for our meals and went on to tell us that people do this sort of thing all the time. ON THE CONTRARY! We have plenty of money, and we have plenty of options as to where we can eat. We chose Applebee's.

Never have we ever been through such an ordeal as we went through at this restaurant located on 2728 Spring Road S.E. Atlanta, GA 30339. Check# 1762, Table #5. Even now, my wife and I are upset that this scene was caused IN FRONT OF our children. We are a mixed couple, I being Hispanic and my wife African American. After the incident they were constantly BLASTING rock music whenever a rock song came on in our section ONLY, it became borderline racially offensive. Why would the music be so loud ONLY when a rock song came on? Why would a piece of plastic be put into MY sandwich only? And why did they still charge us for TWO sandwiches?

Either way, we are still not seeking any compensation or asking for anything in retribution. Not food, drinks or appetizers. Nothing in exchange at all. Our wonderful server, Crystal saw what we had went through and she had the heart to not charge us for 2 drinks. But the managers of that restaurant, not only were completely unprofessional, but also were borderline racial toward us. I am contemplating making a call to Lord, Bissell, & Brooke, and trust me; they are not a two-bit law firm.

We still are not asking for anything, the reason of this letter is to notify whoever has the power to make appropriate changes and ensure that no other family will have to be embarrassed or harassed the way we were. Bottom line, Applebee's has lost our business.

Sincerely,
Josue Rodriguez

Comments

• We
      27th of Sep, 2008

I agree with u on this. the kitchen manager didnt not handle the issue as he should have. ur best bet was to call the regional manager about this situation and the km wouldve been fired on the spot. but u have to look at it this way, eating at franchise restraunts, u dont expect great service. actually the reason food comes out cold, or incorrectly is becuz the kitchen manager, expo, or servers dont double check the food before it coms out. the only thing management cares about is the times the food has to come out. they dont want the food to come out 14 minutes or more. this is how food orders mess up, or come out 15 minutes late. people bump the food off the screen, and dont run the food for other servers. service is not an issue, its mainly how the restraunt runs. id rather have the food come out late, than it come out messed up, and infuriate the customers. this is how servers dont make good money at applebees. the reason i know this, is becuz im a server as well at applebees, located down in mississippi. if u want good service, go to a local restraunt where everything is ran right. not some franchise, unless u want packaged food thats cooked, when u couldve just stayed home. next time, choose chilis or something, i get better service over there.

but if i was ur server, this issue wouldve never happened, becuz i usually make sure everything is correct before u get ur food.