[Resolved] Ap9 Value Max - Intelius / unauthorized credit card charges

1 CT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-840-6296

While attempting to find a long lost friend through a name search on the AT&T White Pages (www.anywho.com) to no avail, I was offered a link through this website to assist in locating the person I was looking for. The hyper link brought me to http://www.intelius.com/ - where I was offered the cell phone number of the contact I was looking for a charge of $1.95. This charge was processed on 11/15 to Intelius. Then on 11/17 I noticed a new charge on my credit card for $19.95 to "AP9 ValueMax". I contacted my credit card company who then including me on a conference call with a representative of "AP9ValueMax".

The woman Nova at this phone number [protected] agreed to refund my "membership charge" of $19.95 within 5 days (we'll see!). I also got Nova to admit to both my representative at my credit card company (Bank of America) and me that "Ap9 ValueMax" also does business as "Intelius" and "Simpleescapes" and "galleriausa". These firms are all the same. Please note the other posts from other individuals that have been through this nightmare. If you are not proactive and cut the initial charges off these firms will continue to charge your credit card until you put a stop to them charging your credit card.

The one item that stuns me is that a reputable firm such as AT&T and the White Pages does business with such a scam type company. Be very weary of simple inexpensive charges over the internet ! BUYER BEWARE!

Resolution statement

Intelius Customer Care's Response, Oct 14, 2009

It sounds like you have also accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Ti

Comments

Gu
  17th of Feb, 2009

When you're on the internet, you gotta be careful. While Intelius offered a secure transaction, I still suspected them of something. You have to. People, Beware! Don't be stupid- investigate.

I went ahead and bought a reverse lookup from Intelius, and promptly asked them if there would be any recurring charges.

They told me they wouldn't charge me for anything else in the future.

BUT... they told me that they 'saw' something that might charge my debit card. Valu-Max.
Intellius email:

Thank you for contacting Intelius customer support. Per your request we have cancelled your Identity Protect subscription. There will be no further charges. After reviewing your account we noticed an additional offer that was accepted through one of our affiliate sites, Valu-Max. For additional information or to cancel the accepted offer please call Valu-Max at 1-888-205-2257.
***************
And they provided an 888 number, which I promptly called. Valu-Max cancelled my account, but you can be sure I'm going to get a new card number asap.

I sent the following to Intellius and the BBB:

**************
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To whom it may concern,

Your "Additional Offer" (valu-max) is not a clickable option with your service, and the Valu-Max service charges are not displayed prominently in your advertisement.
To avoid legal proceedings, please make the appropriate changes to your interface.

I encourage everyone to be PROACTIVE in turning in these creeps. If we don't do it, no one else will. Get off your lazy bums and do something.

Jo
  7th of May, 2009

when you call AP9 Valuemax, this is what you have to say to get your money back, "I have never signed up for Valuemax, I don't know your company and I don't even know how you got my credit card information". And then Valuemax is going to say, "well, you signed up with Intellius" . You're going to say " I did sign up for Intelluis but I didnt sign up for your company."

I guarantee after you told them what I just said, they will give a refund. If not, one last option, call your card customer service to dispute the charges.

Th
  21st of Jun, 2009

wow i have been trying to figure out these charges for several months now thank you for bringing this to everyones attention its sunday now but im going to call them tommorow and try to get my money back theyeve taken about 80$ from me now! I guess I was being a lazy bum for too long but the bank couldnt tell me anything about the charges

Ww
  30th of Jun, 2009

I had the same problem. Ran a background check and paid for it. Then the AP9 Valuemax charges started showing up on the 28th of each month. In the beginning, I thought that I had made a charge and then just forgotten about it. Besides it was only 19.95. But the charge kept coming. I finally called Valuemax who said they would cancel the mebership. I said that I had not ordered the "membership". Valuemax said that I clicked on a link. Since Valuemax was making the charge, I asked that they supply documentation that I had placed an order for their services. Valuemax said they did not have it, call Intelius. But there is no way to contact Intelius. I called VISA to dispute the charges, but they will only go back 60 days. This is fraud, clear and simple. But most people do not persue it, just cancel, so Valuemax and Intelius keep the money the received before they got caught.

Lt
  15th of Jul, 2009

I had the same experience with Intelius. I ran a simple white page lookup for an address, I was continuously re-directed Intelius until I became so frustrated that I paid 99 cents for the address. I just realized today that I have incurred 6 charges over the last 5 months of $19.95 per charge. These folks are ripoffs to the 1st degree. I am complaining to every agency that will listen to me as well as my credit card company.