America's Servicing Company / Automatic payment nightmare

So considering my mortgage servicer (ASC) refuses to enter the 21st century by offering an internet payment option free of charge I thought it would make sense to setup an automatic monthly payment. I've already had many frustrating experiences with them and just want to avoid having to deal with this company. Unfortunately I'm stuck. As far as I can tell we have no options especially in this Real Estate Market where many people like me can't get out of their current loan.

Last time when I saw that they were charging me 3 to 4 times the going rate for Homeowners insurance I tried to replace it with a reasonably priced policy. My new insurance company did everything they could to establish a new policy but ASC refused. They sent me a letter indicating that my insurance was not and could not be implemented. A month later I got around to calling them to understand why they did not allow my new policy and they said that it was because I had not sent them a letter requesting the change. I reviewed the letter they sent me and in no way did it indicate that I needed to fax or mail a letter requesting the change. All it indicated was that my policy was unable to be implemented with no solution or remedy.

I only mention this to preface what dealing with them has been like. Similar to every experience I've had with Wells Fargo they do whatever they can to nickel and dime their clients and most of their employees are very rude and arrogant. This pattern is most accurately demonstrated by their need to charge for an internet payment. So I setup my automatic payment to avoid issues with the mail and to avoid the fee. I had it going fine for a month or two and then got behind again where my payment was getting made just later than normal.

I made my June payment at the end of the month and knowing that my July payment was in question canceled the auto payment. Since then they tried to charge my account 3 different times in July without my consent. I've called each time it's happened and each time they assured me they would not charge my checking account again. Each time this has resulted a $20 NSF fee not to mention the other costs and complications this causes when paying other bills and simply managing my money. How do I get them to stop this auto payment nonsense because this is making it impossible (considering my current financial situation) to manage my money. How many people will guarantee me that they won't charge me again before this stops?

More importantly do I have any recourse? Who will hold this company accountable for their consistent incompetence and manipulation?

Comments

• Ly
      19th of Jun, 2008

this sound almost identical to what happened to us, made arrangments to have the payment taken out on a certain date, when somehardships came up we called to cancel the payment said no probelm set up for a different date and went ahead anyway costing us hundreds in overdrafts.fortunatly next year we will take money from an annuity and finally will be rid of them forever!!!