Complaints & Reviews

Not sending payoff quotes

I have been trying to refinance my home, and was supposed to close a week ago, but America's Servicing Company refuses to send the payoff quote. They claim to have sent it to the fax numbers given, but no one has received it. I called yesterday to have it expedited and was promised it would be at the office by close of business... as of this morning, it still had not been sent. I have talked to the manager AGAIN and have been promised that it will get there in no more than three hours this time. Each time, they want the payoff quote to go through a couple days later than I want. This company is a gluttonous inhaler of premiums and interest payments... STAY AWAY FROM THEM UNLESS YOU LOVE CONFRONTATIONS!

• Je
    Jennifer Green May 30, 2007

Same song and dance! They drug their feet all the way and I couldn't get this done on the day I told them they'd get a pay off so I put my property on the market and a few weeks later I find out they are foreclosing on me.

Let's get these people!

• My
    Myriam Mahiques Jul 24, 2007

We had two loans with ASC. In december 2006, we couldn't make our payment. We called on january 2nd to see if we could regularize the situation with a couple of payments. The schedule offered by ASC was impossible, crazy. So we immediately had our house for a short sale. After 3 months the dep of loss mitigation send a letter to our agent, for the amounts required for the pay offs. It would be less than the original amounts and it would be accepted. Now, after the escrow, we discover that for the minor loan we are still delinquent and that they sold the loan WHILE we were in escrow (they call it full reconveyance) without warranty back to the lender. And that we have an amount pending, though we complied with the letter... Isn't it a fraud?

Illegal distribution of escrow account

Apparently sending a homeowners insurance certificate twice is still not enough for this company. Even after my insurance company sent proof of insurance, ASC still insisted upon paying their own insurance company to cover my mortgage out of my escrow account. I have tried via numerous phone calls to get them to acknowledge my chosen insurance only to be told I've reached the wrong number. When I finally reach someone at the "correct" phone number, I'm told that they "never received proof of insurance" from me or my ins. co. Now, thanks to them, my ins. is cancelled for non-payment, and I have to reinstate it. Meanwhile, their fly-by-night ins. co. is reaping the benefit of my hard work and ASC's shady dealings!

Anna Rose Hicks Apr 05, 2007

I sent copies of proof of insurance and USAA Insurance Company (my insurance) called them. The Company still purchased Harrican Insurance there for purchased insurance for me. The cost over $10,000. Again USAA and I called them that I was fully covered. I was told upon receiving reimbursement from their insurance company they will place the money back into my escrow account. Over three months, still pending reimbursement.

• Am
    Amber Obrien Apr 14, 2007

ASC is still charging my parents insurance, even after they have faxed their policy and America Family faxed it to ASC it is going on two years now. Also they are trying to foreclose for the second time saying they have not received payments since 03/06/06. When they just went through this in 10/2006 of ASC saying they have not got any payments in 22 months. I have found so many complaints on ASC it amazes me, I am doing research on ASC and making copies of all complaints, and forwarding to the Attorney General and the News to see if it helps.

• Ri
    Rick Burton Apr 19, 2007

The same thing happened to me. What is really stupid is that I have a condo and the insurance is provided through the homeowners association which the mortgage company should have known before buying the mortgage from the previous lender. It definitely sounds like a scam to me.

Additionally, they were bugging me about the first months payment via phone after they had bought the mortgage and I hadn't even received any notice from them or the previous lender (I had already sent payment to the previous lender). When I told them this, they said I had to pay them (also) anyway. Needless to say, I didn't. But it took a couple of weeks to straighten out. What a bunch of incompetent fools.

I am forwarding a complaint to the Federal Reserve. Feel free to do the same.

• Ka
    Kathy Osborne Apr 20, 2007

I also paid my owe insurance and taxes, when last June ASC decided to add an escrow to my existing account, they doubled my payment and charged me all kinds of fees like inspection and investigation, etc... when i argued with them,that I pay my own taxes and insurance and they never placed any moneys in escrow, they finally refunded back to my loan part of the money but they did not adjust my payment, I have called them on this numerous times because I can not make the nearly 1,500. new payment, which was a bogus amount. They still had it termed escrow, but only put 180.00 in escrow over 8 months. Everytime I called them they would say they would look in to the situation, then I got a letter with a loan history and a new charge to my loan of 15 dollar investigation fee. Two weeks ago they sent us a foreclosure letter, we made several attempts to contact them and the attorney but no one would help us or return our call. Last week they foreclosed on my home I have lived in for 26 years and no one will look at the problems. I can not afford an attorney. How can America let this happen to its citizens, they have ruined my credit because i could not pay the double amount so I can not get a loan to refinance.

• Re
    Rebecca DOnofrio May 09, 2007

I have never had any problems with ASC... so far anyway. We usually pay by the 15th of the month for a loan that is due on the 1st and we have NEVER received any reminder calls.

As far as verification of occupancy the mortgage company does have a right to do that and almost all other companies charge an "express payment" fee. Our old mortgage company charged $20.

• Ve
    velacorp Sep 13, 2007

Anyone who had private insurance on their home and yet was force insured by ASC through their own insurance company known as "American Security Insurance Company", please contact us, we are organizing the parties to a class action lawsuit against ASC. Also, will: [email protected] please contact us, we would like to coordinate with you and the NACA the principles forthis class action.

Threats for foreclosure, harassing calls!

My Loan was transfered to this bogus company in November from Option One and i never got their mailing...

We are all victims and should file a class-action law suit against ASC and Wells Fargo!

In October of 2006, I fell behind on my mortgage payments and contacted ASC. They sent me a package to fill...

Not posting checks

1. 01/02/07 my mortgage loan was sold to America's Servicing Company.

2. 01/023/07 I sent - a week ahead of due date - my my first regular payment with their printed coupon and envelope to their Los Angeles P.O.Box number.

3. 01/30/07 (mind you : payment is due on 02/01/07) after calling their [protected] number (printed on the payment coupon) a dozen times over a few days to check if the payment has been posted, I talked a live person in Pennsylvanis she told me to let them have about 10 days to post my check.

4. 02/05/07 Not seeing the posting of my first check, I sent by certified mail a second check with a note stating if the first check is posted by the time the 2nd check arrives, please post the 2nd check to the 03/01/07 payment.

5. Mind you again here: My loan has a 15-day grace period. And also because of the recent change of "servicing" agent, a 60-day period is tacked on to the change itself.

6. 02/09/07 I received a call that my mortgage payment is late. Then I explained the above steps #1 to #5 to the caller who said she sees the notes on her computer concerning my earlier call with some ASC person to PA. I ask her: is America's Servicing Company out there deliberately to squeeze some "late" payment fees. I told her I hope that she let her supervisors hear the phone conversation recording, because I may have to contact California Attorney General, or BBB, concerning "fraudulent business practices" in non-posting or late posting of mortgage payments as a way to squeeze "late fees" from borrowers. In my case here, after sending two checks, I am still within my grace period of 15-days at least. Why is ASC calling me that my mortgage is late? Hello?

7. I hope I never have any more problems with ASC again!

Josh Apr 08, 2007

We have had very similar issues with ASC. Does anyone know who regulates this company. I have tried to file a complaint within there company but the customer service gets "disconnected" or they try to divert the conversation. Thank you for anyone who can help in this matter. We need to get this company from making thousands of dollars a month on this.

• Sh
    Shawn Hills Jul 09, 2007

This company is really starting to make me angry. The bought my mortgage note from my previous lender and when they did, they didn't send me any contact info for over 2 months. The very first contact I received from them was a notification that I was 2 months behind on my payments. I explained to them the situation and ended up paying for those two months with included late fees tacked on... as well as having them report to the credit companies, which needless to say didn't do anything to help out my credit score... Now my newest issue with ASC is that I sent my mortgage check by mail. I had expected a wire transfer to hit my bank the next day to make sure funds would be available to pay mortgage. There was an error with the wire transfer and had to be re-sent. I called the mortgage company to see if the check had cleared or if they needed me to do an electronic funds transfer to make the payment. They stated that the check did NOT clear, so I did the Electronic Funds Transfer to make sure my mortgage got paid.

The next month I receive a statement saying that last months payment was never received and a late fee will be attached an I will need to pay the late fee, last months payment, as well as this months payment. This struck me as very odd so I went and got an activity statement for my checking account from my bank. On the statement it shows the check written as cleared, followed by the next day the Electronic Funds Transfer clearing. So my understanding is that they expect to charge me twice and claim not to receive two payments and charge me a late fee on top of it.

I am planning on contacting them regarding this and will have my bank fax them the statements as proof of both charges being made. I will ask that the late fees be waived as well as being credited for this months payment, either that or they can send back the amount of the check so that I can turn right around and write them a check for this months payment...

Simply ridiculous, I am seriously considering refinancing just to get away from this company, I will have to pay the prepayment penalty but I am beginning to think $2k might be worth it to get away from this company and their seemingly ineptness.

Unlawful charge of prepayment penalty

I sent this to the Attorney General:

My mortgage loan was recently bought from Countrywide Home Loans by America’s Servicing Company. This coincidentally happened in the same month in which I sold my home and closed on it. There was some hassle with transferring my January payment over, but the biggest complaint is in regards to a prepayment penalty showing up on my payoff statement. I live in the state of MN where these penalties do not apply, so I contacted them, let them know that this needed to be removed, and explained why. This request was DENIED even after the requested purchase information & HUD was given to them (I have the denial letter from them). There were several long frustrating phone calls I went through to fight for this before, and well after my closing. I ended up having to fax them the portion of the law before finally waiving this fee.

If I didn’t know about this, I would have most definitely been erroneously charged this percentage for the prepayment penalty. Not only did I point this out to them that this was a mistake, but I was blatantly denied the request to waive this fee.
After faxing the statute of the MN law to their legal department that states I should not be charged, I finally talked with a representative this morning who told me I would indeed be refunded this money and the waiver was granted.

All requested information was faxed with of the appropriate documentation stating that this was a purchase in Minnesota and included my HUD.
They had told me that this original request to waive the penalty was reviewed and denied by their legal department.
I, the customer, had to fax the portion of the law to ACS after the 1st denial to show them that they cannot charge me for this.
My title company mentioned that this was the most difficult company they have ever worked with and they were very uncooperative. I had given my permission to ASC for someone at the title company to speak on my behalf and ASC would not speak with her about my loan.
It was always very difficult to get a straight answer and had to re-explain my story every time I called, and there were even cases where the representative would not tell me their name and/or would ignore my questions. One representative told me he would call me back, which never happened (and he was EXTREMELY rude to me).

Despite the fact ASC has told me I will be refunded shortly, I want to bring this to your attention. I think it’s very safe to assume that others have been inaccurately charged this and will most likely continue to get charged. I feel this is a significant amount of money (2% of the total loan amount I believe), and I feel this is unjust.

• We
    Wechslerstein May 30, 2013

here's the rub
    America's Servicing Company is an alias or DBA of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
    Wells Fargo being a National Bank is not controlled by state law as long as they are the originating lender / creditor
    state laws are not instructive to national banks
    HOWEVER if ASC is acting as a loan servicer for some other non-national bank lender, then they have to pay attention and follow state laws. Look this up in "Cuomo v Clearing House" a US Supreme court decision
    Cuomo has displaced "Waters v Wachovia" as precedent per the Frank-Dodd act
    that's why the Republicans hate the Frank-Dodd act

Incompetent, harassment, overcharges & under delivers!

This company bought my loan from GMAC (to whom I was never late). GMAC doesn't charge for pay by Internet, ASC does. GMAC's website always works, ASC's is often down. GMAC never called unless there was a real problem. ASC begins harassing phone calls on the due date and the payment isn't late for 15 days after the due date of the 1st. When I call, there is always an aire of incompetence. I am going to refinance as soon as I can to get away from them. When I do an Internet search on them, I see several complaint sites. With this level of complaint, one wonders if there may be reason for class action. This is the first company I've complained about, stay away from them if you can.

• Be
    Beth Kimball Feb 03, 2007

Without authorization from me they paid my balance due on my taxes on a piece of property that isn't included in my mortgage. Now they are trying to claim the additional land that I own separate from my house as part of my house! After giving their legal department copies of the deed(s) and tax information from my town that I indeed pay my own taxes and that I own 5 parcels of land that aren't included with the mortgage they still are trying to "claim" my land. Now I have to pay an attorney and fight them to keep what is mine and has been mine free and clear for over 20 years! My best advise is to stay away from America's Servicing Company!

• Am
    Amene Magloire Mar 18, 2007

My mortgage has been sold from Freemont Investing to ASC and although I have a grace period to submit my monthly mortgage payment, if the funds are not received on the 1st of the month, the company starts to harass me at work and home indicating that my payment is overdue and they are trying to collect a debt and threatening me. My payments are always received on time and always processed before the my grace period ends. I think there should be some laws against that type of harassment. I think the US attorney's office should fine this company and demand that they stop harassing people or loose their business license.

As much as I would like to stay awasy and not deal with ASC, I did not select to get a mortgage with them. My mortgage was sold to them by Freemont Investing.

Please help!!

• Gl
    Glenn Louisor Jun 13, 2007

Everyone has a lot of good points. Is there anyway we can seek legal action? ASC bought my loan and told me to send my payments to VA when it actually needed to go to LA. Just like everyone, there are lost payments, can't pay online, they received payment and did not put it towards the account.

• Mi
    michele wildie Jan 13, 2011

we were behind on our mortgage payments due to husbands unemployment. We agreed on a set amt to be paid by a certain date in order to prevent foreclosure./ I followed through on that agreement and sent 5000 dollars . When I called to make sure the money was received I was told my money was being returned to me because it was not the full amt. owed and that I was in foreclosure status. I was shocked. They lied to me and then to make matters worse lied about a letter of accelaration that I never received Now I am dealing with their attorneys and being made to pay legal fees added onto back payments in order to reinstate our loan. When I contacted the attys. office I was told it would be another 7 to 10 days before I received a final payoff amt. These people are worse than loan sharks and need to be stopped.I am all for a class action law suit. I am also looking for a good attorney who is willing to take these people to court and take up for people like me who are being victimized by a company who refuses to work with people like us who are going through a financial crises due to layoffs and bad health. I really have tried and tried with ASC to rectify the matter before all of these foreclosure status began but they are determined it seems to me to try to take our house Anyone out there willing and able to help me?

Trying to get amount to catch up loan

I have been trying to call this company to get the amount to stop foreclosure on a home that we purchase in...

Damaged credit report due to misinformation given repeatedly to this company

I bought a house in June 2006. My first payment was due July 1, 2007. Since that time, the loan was sold to GMAC and one month later, it was sold to ASC. All of my payments are current however, ASC claims I am behind one payment. Since October, I have called and sent ASC copies of my cancelled checks verifying my payments- no correction was made. I talked to supervisors, managers, reps begging them to correct my account. I have the names of the people I talked to and they agreed I was right. I asked them if their error would affect my credit and they indicated "no" - in fact, I had to beg to get a letter from them to get this in writing. According to ASC policy, they do not send out any letters involving their accounts - so I was happy about receiving my letter. This week, I applied to refi and found out ASC reported this to the credit bureaus and my score dropped dramatically - I am so frustrated with them. My main account is held at Wells Fargo and I am shocked to find a subsidiary of theirs is allowed to get away with these tactics that ruin people's credit. Let's stop this rip-off.

• Aj
    AJ Mar 05, 2007

I had the exact same problem. I resolved it by writing to RESPA and copying the CEO at America's Service Company and at my previous servicer. Office of RESPA at HUD in Washington DC can give you the fax and address info for the CEOs.

Problems from the get go with ASC!

My mortgage company sold my mortgage to ASC. I had been warned that my mortgage was going to be sold after...

Threat of foreclosure

This company had foreclosed on my house not even 60 days past due. When trying to make payment by phone or...

Filing false foreclosure

Trying for the second time! to foreclose on my home without providing any documentation. They were the 4th...

GMAC mortgage and funds

Fraud and cheating!

My mortgage was sold to ASC on October 20, 2006 by New Century. After reading the letter, I jumped on the...

Harassing phone calls

I currently have 28 mortgages and ONLY America's Servicing Co. (with which, unfortunately I have 8 loans with), repeatedly (10-12 times a week), places calls to my workplace or to my cell, to "remind" me that my payment hasn't yet reached them... Although I've never been behind by even 1 day over 30, they are so worried about me not paying them that each month if their payment doesn't reach them by the 5th, they start their HARASSMENT calls. All 20 other Lenders/Servicing Companies are fine. None call me. They told me its to assist me in keeping my account current... That's crap... It's my credit that will suffer if I'm more than 30 days late, not their's! They try to get you to do an Auto Withdraw from your bank account, but they aren't on the level, so I refuse to do that, as this group appears to be totally out of control!!

• Ta
    Tammie Dec 21, 2006

I agree, they just assumed my mortgage from GMAC & I made payments to GMAC prior to 12/1/06. GMAC assured me via letter that any payments that I made during this transition would be applied as a payment with America's Servicing Company. However, since 12/15/06, I receive numerous calls at work and on my cell phone. I answered one of the calls & requested they don't call me at work & change the number & she said she can't do that. I need to find out where they are located & contact the better business bureau to report them.

• Kc
    K. C. Jan 23, 2007

I had the same problem with America's Servicing Company with numerous calls. I wrote a letter to them stating I did not want them to contact me by phone- at work, home, or on my cell phone. I sent the letter priority mail and received a letter stating that they will honor that request. I keep the letter on file in just in case that might try it again!

• Wu
    Wunmi Olatunde Jan 28, 2007

I totally agree. I currently have 5 mortgages, ASC assumed 2 of my mortgages from WMC my payment was up to date during the transition and I have paper work to show but ASC is charging for late fees and my mortgage payments are always current but they insist also on calling me 5 to 8 times a day on all my phone numbers harassing me for payment even though I have 15 days grace period to pay. They always insist of getting a payment over the phone. This has come to a point now that I'm looking to refi my ASC mortgages with another company cos I cannot take the harassment any longer and Ive complained several times. May be I'll write a letter like my other friend did and see what happens.

• Mi
    Michael Traverso Apr 23, 2007

My mortgage was sold to ASC in January 2007. Since then I receive voicemails requesting to call the ASC toll free number. After several minutes of wait-time and the company prompt telling me that "you have received this call because you are delinquent..." I will be connect to a rude, angry, ignorant representative for this ASC company. It is ONLY the second day of the month and they treat me as "delinquent!" There is a 15 day grace period for payments. The company's rude representative hung up on me after I asked her, "Have I have been late with a payment? Why do you request that I call your phone number that is in the delinquent collection part of your company?"

I am happy to read that I am not alone. This is a terrible way do business. Shame on you ASC!

• Er
    Eric Lopez May 18, 2007

First of all i am a collections rep for asc out bound collections... And first let me tell everyone do you know what asc is... Its a NON-PRIME Loan servicer for everyone who doesn't know what that means it services bad credit loans, wait let me rephrase that horrible credit loans, and it makes me laugh when i am talking to you and your there talking about how perfect your credit is and i see when i am calling you and i see your true double digit credit scores... Also your payments are due on the 1st not the 16th people who have bad credit seem to find this confusing thinking the 16th is your due date because thats when you get your late fee... Also have you ever wondered why you get stuff from wells fargo with your mort. payment stuff , because asc is affiliated with wells fargo but wells fargo just doesn't want to be labeled the company with all the bad credit loans... How does asc end up with your loans ... Companies suck as freemont, countrywide, emc... Ect companies originate loans the, prime loans (excellent credit) sub-prime (mediocre credit) and non-prime (bad credit)... The originating company keep your loan for 2 months if your lucky, then thats where the fun starts the prime loans get sold to a company the non prime loans get sold to a company and then asc get all the non-prime loans get sold to asc... So i hope all this info answers your questions to why you have this horrible company servicing your loan... All because you all have horrible credit no one to blame but yourself!!!

Oh yeah i know asc is a screwed up company but i also find it funny when i hear people talking about suing asc... And winning... Yeah right when you walk in the court room with your bootleg lawyer and then asc/wells fargo comes in with its all-star team of lawyers who get paid more in 1 day then your lawyer will make in a year... Do you really think your going to win your lawsuit?

• Fe
    FEKADE MAKONNEN Jul 13, 2007

Report to the federal trade commission. I know it works. Let everyone call ftc or go to the ftc website.

harassing people, refused to acknowledge their mistake

Asc - america's servicing company is absolutely horrible to deal with in any way. Their customer service department employees have no idea what customer service is. I have asked several times to speak to a supervisor and have been refused. This company has repeatedly sent late notices and demand letters in addition to making repeated harassing calls regarding payments that they say have not been made. Even after we have submitted every piece of documentation that we can possibly obtain from banking institutions and the previous mortgage company, asc has refused to acknowledge their mistake, they refuse to correct the mistake and remove late fees and other "suspended" moneys, and they refuse to correct the information reported to credit bureaus.

Their refusal to assist us in this matter is causing financial hardship and unnecessary stress on our family and finances. What can I do? Who can I contact that will listen and take action? I know I am not alone in my total disgust for this company that says they "service" america's customers. They do nothing of the sort. I only hope that their home loans get sold to asc and they get screwed like the rest of us have.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Ho
    Howard Jul 29, 2007

You loan is due on the first day of the month, not on 17th. if you go past 16 days you will get a late fee, plain and simple. the payment must be processed no later than the 16th day of the month, not in the mail by the 16th. pay your bill on or before it's due date and your problems will go away. the company is doing nothing illegal, it is doing exactly what is spelled out in your contract. so like the company you are complaining about, abide with what the contract says to do.

• Ev
    Evy Mar 15, 2009

We are in northeast, asc purchased our mortgage from new century. it been a down hill ride ever since. attempting to change our homeowners insurance, purchasing flood insurance at twice the cost to us, when we were already covered. asc took the money right from our escrow account to pay the second flood insurance policy. then attempted to tell us that our payment will increase for the lack of a % in our escrow, after asc took $1600 for flood insurance that we had already paid for. we had to fight to have the money put back and the second flood insurance policy cancaled. paper work sent over, over & over again by our insurance company stating that our home was covered in the amount that was stated by asc. payment amount changes for really no reason. asc was not willing to work with us after we had major flooding.
    we didn't ask to be sold to asc. phone calls come in to our home before the payment is due, then cservice states "it just a reminder" we have never been later, we have alway had the insurance amount that was requested for our home.
    I would like to say what I personal feel about asc but that would be very rude to all of those who read this. but I think you are all feeling the very same way. thank you for letting me vent about this poor excuse of a mortgage company called america servicing co..

• Mr
    Mrs. Betty Becker May 24, 2012

My husband and myself did a loan modification with asc january 2011. they lowered our interest rate from 9.75 to 7.0, also our payment went from $1400.00 per month to $706.84, the first payment was not due until april 2011we sent the first payment in on february 2011. then again march 2011 we just wanted to stay ahead of schedule. everything was going fine payments were being made on time and we thought we were doing fine. I kept all the documentations of payments being made okay here comes the best part we get a phone call from america's servicing company in april of 2012 they were wanting to know why our mortgage payment was two months behind? I said excuse me but if anything our payments should be current plus two months. no in fact we needed to send them payments for january2012 because the payment that we sent in jan went for dec 2011 and february2012 payment went for jan 2012 I explained when we did the loan modification in 2011 we sent our payments earlier than were due. latisha woodside was who I spoke with on the phone said she was a loan preservation specialist and she would be happy to start a new loan modification process. latisha started telling me what documents I would need to start process. again I told her that we already did a loan modification in 2011 and the payments were not due to start until april 2011 I might as well have been talking to the wall all latisha was doing was making me angry because I know our payments were not late and I told her that, then ask to speak to her supervisor so she rang for her supervisor and it was a recording, boemi williams was unable to take my call at this time leave my loan number and name and phone number she would get back with me as soon as possible. she never got back with me. latisha is the person that got back with me. we are just dumb founded by america's servicing company. this is our second time around with them the first time our loan was sold to them by aegis mortgage company, that was the worse mess we had encountered we ended up filing chapter 13 bankruptcy in 2007 so they would not foreclose on our home. my husband and I have all the documents of proof of payment each month from2011 through2012 and now they are refusing to take our april 2012 payment nor will they take our may 2012 payment. what can be done about this? it is almost june 2012 that will make us 3 months behind plus late fees and any other fee they wish to put on our account. wells fargo d/b/a america's servicing company cannot win every time!

Trying to make money off the consumer!

Just a few months ago my mortgage loan was sold to America's Servicing Company. I have always mailed my...

Bunch of crooks! Fee to pay mortgage by internet!

After paying a $15.00 phone service fee every month to pay my mortgage because Americas servicing company had...

Consumers have no protection and little recourse when they get screwed

On October 30, 2004, I received a notice from Option One Mortgage (dated 10/15) that my mortgage was sold (again) and servicing was transferred to America's Servicing Company in Maryland ("ASC")...effective November 1, 2004. I was given a PO Box at ASC to send the November payment, but no phone number, fax number, email contact, or new loan information. I live in Hawaii and it takes a good 5 days even for "overnight" mail/fed ex/UPS to get to the east coast. Further, I'm not about to mail money to some corporation on the east coast without having at least a loan number to write on the payment to ensure it gets posted properly. Mailing the payment was not an option.

On November 1st I went on line to try to get information on ASC and see if I could pay on line that day. ASC has no web page...what I found instead was this site. I got ASC's phone number from here and called them, but they were closed (time difference, 6 hours). I got a recording saying "the mailbox for extension 3904 is full and you cannot leave a message", so I tried the switchboard extension...also a recording, also not able to leave a message. I tried to call Option One and to reach them on line to get information on ASC, but they don't recognize my loan number anymore and would not give me any information.

I called ASC back during business hours on November 3rd and 4th...more recordings. November 5th came (today), and still no payment coupon or even information from ASC, and still more recordings when I call. From this site I've gleened that I probably can pay over the phone, if I can ever get through to a person. I hate paying by phone, but at least my bank will have a record of the payment date so ASC can't say they didn't receive it when paid.

After what I've read here, I'm very concerned about my payments being posted on time to the right account, irresponsible credit reporting, and the real potential for my property taxes and insurance to not be paid by ASC.

I used to run the "portfolio department" for a large timeshare developer, and part of my job was to sell the developer's Notes Receivable with their securing mortgages to various lenders, and each lender had its own servicing company. In my experience, most loan servicing companies do a decent job, but one in particular was horrible and should be called an "un-servicing company". I got frequent complaints from frustrated buyers about the same things I've read about in this site, and I constantly struggled, to no avail, with the idiots who worked at the unservicing company to do their jobs right, especially getting loans set up quickly and payment coupon books sent out in time for the buyers to send their first payments on time. And I was on a first name basis with the idiots and was supposed to have some clout! Even their top managers were buffoons. Any individual buyers who tried to get help from them got stonewalled, which is why they came to me.

After my experience on a professional level with that unservicing company, and then reading the complaints against ASC here, I'm concerned about my own loan, to say the least. I am hesitant to send them any money, but I have no choice. I can only hope that ASC sells my Note and Mortgage to yet another company as quickly as BNC and Option One sold them (this is the 3rd mortgage company in four months!!).

I understand how "the mortgage game" works, and because of the very nature of it (what each transfer entails), there should be strict limits on the number of transfers allowed per year (no more than two), and companies like that Unservicing Company and ASC should be shut down and sanctioned. Consumers have no protection and little recourse when they get screwed.

• Je
    Jennifer Sersaw Apr 24, 2007

There is a better way for everyone posting on here to work with ASC. We were transferred to them and they started changing the terms of the mortgage and we took immediate action against them. We filed a complaint with the BBB in Iowa (their headquarters) and now they are being really quiet. We have not received an harassing phone call, letter, or anything in the past days. We have also reported them to our State Attorney General and the Department of Banking and Financial Institutions. Both government departments are taking action against them and the original holder of our mortgage as well. One thing that many do not seem to realize is that they are a mortgage servicing company and they are not your mortgage holder in most cases. With the recent breakup in the subprime market, it is very difficult to know exactly who officially holds your mortgage. Many of the recently fallen subprime lenders were what we call wholesale lenders and they basically fund their loans through lines of credit that they have with other banks. When they fold, it is unknown by most homeowners what has happened with the loan and who currently holds it. There is a difference between being the lender and being the loan servicer. A lot of the fraud that you are complaining about is actually a result of your original mortgage company. This is what happened in our case. Our mortgage ended up being a violation of state law and we are protected now by our state. We will hopefully even be entitled to fees that we had to overpay in the past as well. Check your state laws especially concerning predatory mortgages. Many states have laws out there now that have stipulations on the fees that can and cannot be charged to your account as well as the posting of payments. There is a way to fight companies such as this but you really have to be on your toes and do all of your homework. We have several agencies working together to help us and ASC knows not to try to foreclose during this process or they would just get in even more trouble. Congress is currently holding hearings concerning the subprime market so subprime lenders and servicing companies know not to do anything as they are all being watched very closely now. Also, although we all agree that the fees to pay online and by phone are ridiculous, they do have to pay to accept payments electronically and that is why they charge the fees. Some companies are willing to eat the cost for that, but ASC is either not able to or not willing to. Hopefully some of this information helps. Also, do not talk to customer service representatives if you are having problems. Insist on talking to someone higher up. It is actually even better to have a paper trail. Send everything via certified mail with a signature required then if they should ever try anything against you, you have proof that they have everything and they would lose in a court of law.

• To
    [email protected] Jul 07, 2016

Guess what those stupid ### ended up relieving me from that mortgage because they know that they screwed up in the past, in fact I think that they still owe me some money, , I'm in the process of filing a law suit on them to get the remaining of my monies back, because they have been screwing customers all around the country. Therefore everyone should be getting there monies back, and put there ### out of Business along with Wells Fargo for taking on the responsibility of that Bogus company...I hope that they have a nice life, and go completely out of business, because of their screwed up Illegal practices ..

• Wa
    waynej163 Nov 14, 2018

Beware of both ASC and Wells Fargo these people are all story tellers and you just might loose your house. Go elsewhere and check internet for background of other bankers you might go to happy hunting and good luck.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices