American Express Delta Skymiles / bait and switch intro bonus miles

1 MI, United States Review updated:

I was solicited to switch to the Delta Skymiles card from American Express online while visiting the Northwest Airlines site. I signed up for a deal which stated that I would be given 25000 bonus miles after using the card for the first time and 25000 miles would be replenished when used for "pay with miles" program. A free companion airline voucher was also included. When the card arrived I found nothing confirming the above-mentioned terms. I called Amex and asked them to state the terms in their records. The customer service rep was rude and snotty immediately. She listened to my question and responded that the offer carefully stated that the terms which I signed up for were merely a possible award level that may or may not be awarded. Say What! I incredulously asked how they could make the offer only to rescind it once the customer had signed up to their cardholder agreement. I was told by the poor excuse for a service rep that that was precisely the policy!
I asked for a supervisor and was told that they wouldnt help me any further and when I asked to be transfered I was put on infinite hold.
I called back 15 minutes later and cancelled their cards and cut them up.
I post this here so that others will realize that this is the policy of American Express. They are using illegal bait and switch ads which once you've sold your soul to them they immediately renig on their end of the agreement. Screw that!
I'll sign up with US Banks Airline points card.
American Express Delta Skymiles Card Sucks!

Bo

Comments

• Ka
      6th of Aug, 2009

I also received an e-mail offer from NWA/Delta and Amex on May 1st, 2009 giving me an offer of 35, 000 miles for signing. The first 25, 000 would be posted on my account once I had made $1, 000 in purchases within the first three months. And then the remaining 10, 000 would be posted afterward.

I applied for the card, and spoke with an agent regarding the offer and she confirmed it was valid and that my husband could sign up for it too.

I made $1, 000 in purchases within the first month and paid off the card in full. I saw 15, 000 miles applied to my account, and I was confused because I thought it was supposed to be 25, 000 and then another 10, 000. So I called Amex and spoke with an agent who now said it was going to be 15, 000 and then two more increments of 10, 000 miles. I patiently waited until August to see the miles show up, and they never have. I called Amex and spoke with an agent today who denied that they ever sent me such and offer. Luckily I saved the e-mail offer, faxed and e-mailed it to them. They are also denying that such an offer ever existed now!

I e-mail NWA and Delta executives about the issue too. I'm a great customer with an 800+ credit score and a high limit who likes to travel frequently. I've never had an AMEX before, and I probably won't if they don't remedy the problem for both me and my husband in the next 15 days.