American Expressdebt collection

On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 I received a letter from American Express dated 1/14/2009 that stated my account is being reviewed for collections. Twenty-four hours later I received a phone call on my work phone from Zwicker and Associates. They identify themselves as an Attorney that has been retained by American Express to file a law suit against me. Of course I told them I would not speak with them while I was at work and hung up. I was confused and shocked and had no idea who these people were! I called American Express and the recording told me to call the 800 number who turned out to be Zwicker and Associates.

I called American Express back and was able to speak with a Human by not entering my account number. Once the person had my information, they refused to speak with me about my account.

I then returned the telephone call to Zwicker and Associates on my first break. I was transferred to a man by the name of Steven Marshall. Mr. Marshall stated that I had to pay him the full amount of 16, 249 plus dollars to settle the account. I explained that I have been making payments, and would like to make good and catch up my account, which was only about a month and a half behind. Mr. Marshall said he would take 10, 000 dollars over the phone and I had to give him a post dated check. I refused due to not having the money and he said if I didn’t give it to him “now” or he would forward my file to begin litigation. I was scared and did not know what to do so I gave him the check for 10, 000 dated 1/29/2009, but I explained I may not be able to come up with the money. I explained that I would probably have to call and cancel the check.

Shortly after ending the phone call I did place a stop payment on the check and contacted my bank’s security office.

I have a rare heart condition and the condition is stress induced and I had to take the rest of the day off from work. I could not function thanks to Mr. Marshall’s threats.

The person I spoke with is Steven Marshall at [protected], ext. 3225.
His E-mail is [protected]@zwickerpc.com

On 1/23/2009 I sent an E-mail to Zwicker and Associates informing them that I had learned of a law in the State of Massachusetts, 940 C.M.R. 7.00, which prevents any Debt Collector from soliciting a post dated check from anyone. When I notified them of this law via E-mail they made a statement I had “re-nigged” on my agreement and they would be pushing a law suit forward quickly against me. Proof of this can be heard on a telephone recording where Mr. Marshall of Zwicker and Associates knowingly spoke on a recorded line. The conversation takes place between Mr. Marshall and Vickie Piontek, who is a nice lady I met on an Internet forum. She is an attorney, but has not been hired to represent me. A copy of the conversation is available on CD.

Also, in the recording Mr. Marshall states that I contacted him by phone to “pull the settlement.” I have not spoken with Mr. Marshall after he coerced me into giving him the post dated check. I sent him an E-mail only; he never had the chance to tell me he would now want the full amount by January 31st. He is lying. Proof of the E-mail is attached.

On 1/25/2009 I sent a Cease and Desist letter to Zwicker and Associates via Fax and Certified Mail with Return Receipt. I requested strict proof of the alleged debt, a copy of the initial contract and payment history as well as a copy of the assignment of the alleged debt. I received the return receipt, but have never received a response to my request. As of 5/11/2009 Zwicker and Associates still has not answered my request.

On 1/26/2009 date I received my first letter dated 1/22/2009 from American Express notifying me that Zwicker and Associates was taking over my case. But, Zwicker and Associates contacted me via the telephone on 1/20/2009.

Staring sometime in March of this year I started receiving calls from an unknown person by the name of “Bonnie” from United Recovery Systems who wanted to speak with me about my “delinquent account, ” as she put it. During the next few days this person called both my parents and in-laws at their residence. The lady calling herself Bonnie told my family I needed to call her in reference to an account that I owed money on and gave a reference number. On 4/1/2009 I received a letter dated 3/13/2009 from a company by the name of United Recovery Systems (from a Mrs. W. White) stating they are a collection agency and needed to pay them $16, 964.53 to settle my American Express Account.

With the knowledge that American Express had hired Zwicker and Associates, I ignored this letter thinking it was a scam. Then on 4/25/2009 I received a letter from American Express which was titled “A Helpful Offer From American Express.” The letter, dated 4/21/2009 stated I could make payment arrangements with United Recovery Systems with a 0.00% interest rate and no fees. However, American Express has not notified me of any information about my status with Zwicker and Associates.???. So, am I now being pursued by two agencies for one debt, who do I pay? American Express, Zwicker and Associates, or United Recovery Systems?

Now, to make this even more interesting I receive another letter from American Express on 5/1/2009, dated 4/24/2009. This letter was titled, “Opportunity to Regain Cardmembership.” This letter actually offered me a new American Express Credit card with an annual fee of $49.00 and a interest rate of 14.99%. All I had to do is contact United Recovery Systems and make payment arrangements and the new card was mine.

Finally, on Thursday, May 7th at 11:29 AM my father, Robert Priest, received a telephone on his personal business line. The caller identified himself as a representative of The Law Offices of Mann Braken [protected]). The caller told my father that they had been retained against me and I needed to pay the entire 16, 000 (plus) balance at once. The caller attempted to solicit a credit card from my father to make a payment. My father told the caller to send their request in writing to me and hung up on them. At 11:56 AM another call came in from a different representative of Mann Braken. My father immediately hung up. A third call came in at 5:25 PM. All three calls were received on an Alltel Cell phone and proof of the incoming calls can be retrieved from Alltel. I can also attempt to obtain a copy of my father’s Alltel statement is needed.

I am not a dead beat and have always made a very good effort to pay my bills on time. This past year or two has become difficult and I even sent American Express two E-mails using their communication system. Of course, now that system cannot be accessed by me.

Also, since this began I have not made any additional payments. I don’t know who to pay. Now more than ever I am confused and scared to talk to anyone. Who do I pay American Express, Zwicker and Associates, United Recovery Systems, Mann Braken, or who?????

I will be at home recovering from Heart Surgery for the next four to six weeks if I can clarify any of the above information. Please, contact me if I can.

Note: I have also filed a complaint/case with the following:

The Federal Trade Commission

Tallahassee, FL [protected]

The Better Business Bureau
4200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 800
Arlington, VA [protected]

(Against Zwicker and Associates, specifically)

Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Complaints and Information
One Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108

State of Massachusetts
Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation
Ten Park Plaza, Suite 5170
Boston, MA 02116

(Against Mann Braken, LLP, specifically)

Georgia Office of the Attorney General
40 Capitol Square, SW
Atlanta, GA 30334

Georgia Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs
2 Martin Luther King, JR. Drive SE, Suite 356
Atlanta, Georgia [protected]

• Ro
    Robert Smith Jun 03, 2016

On Feb 25 2001 I transfered balance on blue AMX card to another card with 0 % interest. Today april 28 2009 I recieved a call from AMX saying they were trying to collect $2017.00 on said card. They claim they have been trying to collect this from 2004 and all billing they sent was returned by post office. I still have the same address, they had my PH#, how else could they call me. Looks like they need money. Save your recipts for at least 10 years with these people. I did not. Robert Smith Middlefield CT. 06455

• Da
    danb Jun 03, 2016

I don't know what state you live in but all states have a statute of limitations on collecting a debt. Each state is different but most vary between 4-10 years, also depending on what type of debt it is. If a company has not contacted you within that time frame, they are not supposed to be able to legally collect that debt. You might check into that for your situation. Please note that if they have contacted you in any way or if you have contacted them, then the clock starts all over for the statute...

• Kr
    Krystal Roman May 26, 2016

I went and got gas today May 27th 2016 and I put in $12 worth of gas and you guys took out $75 worth of my money. I called American Express and they said that my money will be refunded within 8 to 10 business days that does not work for me. I have my money today for reason you need to stop taking out more money than I have spent. Whether it be a rule or what you should never take out more than I have spent I will definitely not recommend you to anybody else

• Sg
    S Ghiai Mar 26, 2013

After being a member for 20 years, my limit was reduced by half just for paying late due to problems logging in. Representative in India who I could not understand hung up on me twice and then could not help. I have calculated spending over 2 million over 20 years which they charge merchants 4% and me annual fees and interest. No more
    I hope the get stUck with people who would stiff Tem I order to appreciate people like me.

• To
    Toini Mar 12, 2012

I have s significant work history with American Express. I do not work for the company any more. I am seeking a new position. American Express is using Worknumber service to verify past employment with the company. The information that worknumber has on my employment from American Express. is missing 7 years. I have tried to straighten the issue both with American Express( there is no one I am allowed to talk and switchboard refers me to Worknumber) and Worknumber ( they claim that they cannot communicate to the company to address the issue, are left what they were given in the first place and keep advising me to try to talk to American Express).
    I have a real issue with the significant gap in my history with AMEX. This is preventing me to obtain new employment and makes me to appear non sincere for my prospective employers, I am disgusted of the process the companies have created for obtaining my employment history and the impossibility to addressing the issue to resolve

• Al
    Ali A. Al-Dawood Oct 18, 2011

I have an important concern about the follow up by the American Express Application Processors at Customer Service in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh.
    I have submitted my new application request since October 06, 2011, and nobody called me form American Express Group to tell me that I have missed to sign one paper of the application.

I called the free number ([protected]) on October 18, and a person named Homood informed me about the missing signature in the first page of the application.. I have signed the application where indicates the signature and there is no space or indications to sign the first page.

I think that this type of service is not acceptable to all the new credit card holders and it needs someone to rectify the deficiencies.

My Name: Ali A. Al-Dawood
    Gov. ID. No.: [protected]
    Mobile No.: +[protected]
    Email: [email protected]

• Si
    Sibuline Sep 29, 2011

I went to pay in cash an amex bill for another person--was informed cash was no longer acceptable--must be check or money order--got money order--they refused to accept the payment dated as paid vbut would send to amex office UPS within 24 hoursw--this meant I QWOULD BE LATE WITH PAYMENT. FO0R THE LAST FIVE YEARS AT LEAST I HAVE PAID WITHOUT ANYT PROBLEM--THEY CLAIM A CHANGE IN POLICY but THEY NEVER ADVISXEWD ANYONE OF THIS CHANGE!!! Now I have to pay a latye fee and they make the money even though they never told anyone thisw was going to happen!!

• Cr
    crodney Sep 27, 2011

You just recently increased my interest rate to 15.25%, up from 9.99% when I originally opened my acct with you. What's up? Interest rates are dropping all over the place, and mortgage rates are under 5%. If anything you should be reducing interest rates, not increasing them. Your customer service supervisor refused to refer me to her manager or give me her manager's name, so it's pretty obvious there is absolutely no appeal process in place. It appears you just sit behind your desks and pull interest rate figures from the air, then cowardly insulate yourself from your victims?

• Am
    AMEXusersbeware Sep 20, 2011

Here's the short story... Had an Amex Card that I maxed out (my mistake) and was charged big rates (25%), tried to negotiate rates but was told I needed to enroll into one of there payment plans first. Have been on for 18 months making payments and graduated from their payment plan, as I now go back to readdress old interest rate levels, now the the story is we don't negotiate. So, the story from 18 months ago has done a 360 degree turn with no help from Amex. Loan shark with a plastic card... The sad part is their story about trying to help people get out from under. They are in fact they are just giving enough breathing room to keep you making those payments.

• Pa
    PatseChi Sep 06, 2011

I would have thrown it in the bin and sent an invoice to the American Express office for $47.95, trash removal service

• Su
    suzumeee Sep 06, 2011

I got a parcel from mail saying "free gift inside" from American Express, I opened it and it said if I want to keep it, it would charge me $20 on it, otherwise I would have to send it back. Since I didn't want it so I called customer service and asked, and she said just put it back in the mailbox and the postman will take it. The postman didn't take it because I opened it, so I need to drive to the post office and pay for the stamp and send it back. But with all the information inside the parcel, how am I supposed to know what that is without opening it. It makes me so angry because first of all, if the "gift" is not free, then just don't say it's "free gift". Second of all, It was a real hassle to send it back.

• Ca
    caramel2darby Aug 31, 2011

Imagine when you have a credit limit of $9, 000 and you are not even near that, and you have never, ever, ever, missed a payment, etc., etc, . etc, . and all of a sudden ...they crash your limit ...the LETTER is in the mail!!! Never got it...OOOPPPS!!! as the csr's always say " I understand" ...REALLY?? Anyways, we have always heard that American Express is the worst to ever have, , , , , ...now we know...Thanks...American Express...we will never deal with you again!!!Worst ever service I have ever received ... on the phone and elsewhere...at least we won't deal with you again...

• Rb
    rboeh Aug 31, 2011

Pathetic company who has no value for their long term clients. Customer for 12 years and called last week to inquire about a interest rate reduction to what other rates are being offered. They denied it. Then 1 week later I discover the cut my credit balance was cut to what was owed with no notice given. $13000 credit line reduction. When asked for an explanation, they tried to say it was credit report. Absolute lie as my credit is the best its ever been in the history with the company and least amount owed. Find it pathetic they cut it, because i asked for a better interest rate. Card will be paid off. American Express should have been allowed to fail, instead of tax payers bailing their butts out, and government converting the to a bank. Th3y mismanage their business, taxpayes had to save them, then they screw over customers who pay their bills on time.

JayceeSke Aug 08, 2011

In December 2008 called to cancel/close my account and request an account analysis. I had not received statements for many months and I was planning on foreclosure or bankruptcy, so wanted to confirm zero balance. Was told 5-6 days. No analysis after 6 WEEKS, so called again and requested and again no response. Logical assumption is account closed with zero balance. My current credit report shows a balance over $1300 which is more than ever charged in any 12 month period since 1984. Please advise address of executive I can visit in Phoenix AZ to get this resolved. Their customer service people know how to do nothing but read a script. Not near good enough.

• Eq
    Equus Jun 28, 2011

Amex is full of ###.

Amex Australia takes the Bcake for false advertising. They collect money and return it months later under the pretext that the item you claimed under rewards was discontinued.

What a convenient way to collect interest free funds. Imagine Amex doing this with say a 100million dollars for just a month. The interest they earn would be huge enough.

Boycott AMEX.

• Am
    AmExSharks Apr 09, 2011

I advanced 11, 774 American Express membership points that are worth $117 on October 4, 2010 to buy gift cards in combination with my existing points. on March 5, 2011, I closed the account because I had moved my primary residence out of the US earlier. At that time, I still owed the company 10, 052 points. I would not have closed the account, or I would not have borrowed the points for that matter, if I had known how the company will deceive me. I later found out that the company charged me $251.30 for the remaining 10, 052 points. It is equivalent to 134% interest rate over 5 month periods. I have been a loyal customer of American Express for the last 10 years or so. This practice will shame loan-sharks.

• He
    Heyay Feb 23, 2011

AMEX screwed up my account by debiting my account with four of someone else's balance transfers totaling over $12, 000.

This happened. They refused to help me and correct their mistake until I threatened to sue them.

They aggravated me so badly with their extremely poor customer service, that I created a website containing a detailed account of my experience. I hope others read what AMEX put me through and think again before opening an account with American Express, or cancel an existing account before AMEX screws them over.

The site is at www.AMEXblew.com.

Even though I paid off all of the legitimate charges I made in full and on time, AMEX still showed a phantom balance of $138.19 after all the bogus charges were removed and were explained away as 'fraud'.

They still have not satisfactorily explained to me where this balance came from.

After I complained, they issued a $100 'goodwill credit, ' but they are still making me pay $38.19 I don't owe.

• Le
    Leonardo Dec 16, 2010

AMEX approved $200 charge from Asurian Insurance/Verizon Wireless on my AMEX account. I paid $70-90 for the screen on the phone with AMEX with my Amex card, not knowing that once I paid this Screen charge at the Verizon store, that American Express would approve any additional charge from Asurian Insurance/thru Verizon Wireless, without my approval; then Asurian Insurance sent my grandson a new phone; we then sent the broken phone back. In a month, Asurian started to harass us, telling us that they did not receive the brokwn phone. I told them that we did not have the phone, it was not required that it be sent certified from PO, so we dropped in mailbox. A month or so later, Asurian charged my AMEX card $200 and AMEX approved the charge without my knowledge;I have never had any agreement with Asurian Insurance Company. I was shocked. They did not have permission to charge my card. I immediately disputed the charge with AMEX, with many many phone calls, I am not responsible for a charge that I did not approve. Nor do I have the phone. Amex contacted Asurian and told me that Asurian said I was responsible for this charge because I had not returned the broken phone. Again, I reiterated to Amex that I was not responsible for the lost phone as this is why you have phone insurance; I was told by a supervisor at AMEX that if a merchant has a copy of my account number, that they can Charge my account and AMEX would pay it. I was SHOCKED. I immediately cancelled my account. I am 62 years old and I am a grandmother. I wrote a letter to the CEO of Amex at the end of October 2010, Cancelled my Credit Card and put the card in the envelope and mailed it to the CEO at American Express Headquarters, and have not heard one word back from the CEO. Today, I received a letter from AMEX asking me to send another letter to the Dispute department by 12/17th regarding the issues. After months of letters and phone calls, wouldn't you think that a company the size of AMEX could pick up the phone and call this 61 year old grandmother, thank her for her service and loyalty of 34 years, and see what they could do to help her. I am not going to pay $90 annual fee anymore, or go thru any of this with Amex. I will use my Discover Card, they are terrific and get rebates for the thousands of dollars that I charge each month. I have told Amex service department to "please take me to court and sue me for the $200, I would like to have a judge and the world know the harassment that I have experienced, and, by the way, during a second run with breast cancer during this time. Don't use American Express. They have become too big for their britches and don't care about anything but making money at the expense of the cardholders.

• Va
    vake777 Oct 01, 2010

I have been a customer of American Express since 1998! I have never been late once, not even once! ever...
    Every month for the past 6-8 months, they start emailing me and calling me - HARASSING ME to pay the balance on my card because I have spent more than what I normally average! This all happens even before I actually receive my bill.

I have a number of bills auto-billing me on this card. They suspend the card if I don't immediately comply to their demands and pay my balance (yes, before I even receive the bill). Then all my auto-bills decline and then I have to call and re-enroll etc. I am going to take my business elsewhere - I have had it. Beware, this is no way to treat their customers - this is NOT a good, ethical company. This behavior is extremely unprofessional!

• Su
    Sumbate Jun 25, 2010

Ok American Express Costco card . your computers cant think, your cs service department operates with no regard for human error, but yet you have made the error way out of control by total lack of inter company communication. my problem has been on going for 6 months and no one has taken authority and cleared it up correctly. like im going to pay ur jacked up interest charge when you where to lower the rate back down to 9.24 and it takes you more than a month. you are not acting like a partner to costco and there massive membership customers when you are not willing to honor working something out that has spun so far out of control case 7 different people at

AMEX handle a problem, dont return calls, dont leave call back numbers, totally unwilling to work with small business, so next i call Costco and have them help me get things right. please help me out or i will drive negative people and press to help me be heard loud and clear!

Sanders Jun 14, 2010

I made a reservation for a hotel in London using American Express Travel. The payment was in the form of cash and American Express points. Because of the volcanic eruption in Iceland, I tried to change the reservation. The hotel chain, Holiday Inn, would have readily made the change; however, the reservation was owned by American Express so they REFUSED to make the change. American Express expected me to pay the full fee of $2, 892.71 to change the reservation. A ripoff by American Express and a ripoff by Holiday Inn if they are unwilling to make the change.

I have had an American Express Card since 1976. In that time the service has been reasonable. This event has raised a "red flag" about a possible deterioration of service at American Express.

Jolyon Jun 02, 2010

I had a 9.99% fixed rate account with American Express since 2001. American Express raised the interest rate on my account to 12.5% without sending me separate written notice of the change. I was not then nor am I now in default on my payments or any other terms of the card agreement. When I found out about the increase I contact Amex and was told it was due to "market conditions". I immediately closed my account. Four months later they raised the interest again to 15.24%. I contacted them and they refused to return the rate to what it was when I closed my account and claim they can chnage the terms of the agreement at any time for any reason and I have no ability to opt out of the change. American Express recently reported huge increases in profits. I ahve filed complaints with the FTC, my state attorney general, the BBB and I encourage anyone else who has been ripped off by Amex to do the same. I would welcome inquries by class action attorneys.

• Sn
    Snulkino May 11, 2010

• Cm
    Cmiller50 Mar 12, 2010

Just told because I have used my card more, it would be put on hold, even though the payments isn't due for a couple of weeks???? Sounds like somebody is in financial trouble and it isn't me!

• Tr
    TroublewithAmEx Mar 10, 2010

I applied for an American Express Skymiles card and wanted to transfer my miles from NW Airlines World Perks to Delta Skymiles because NW had merged with Delta. AmEx told me that I didn't qualify because I didn't have an adequate credit record. I sent them a copy of my Experian credit report showing a very high credit score--within the best 3 percent of all people. But they never apologized or took any initiative to reactivate my card request, and I was to fed up to bother to apply again.

• Mo
    mommazee Feb 18, 2010

This complaint was posted on 2/17... Easter Sunday?

• Vi
    Vishnev Feb 17, 2010

How low and how cold can American Express be to call my daughter on her cell phone yesterday, Easter Sunday, to tell her that her credit limit was being drastically reduced. My daughter has been a loyal, prompt paying customer of American Express for many years; now American Express has possibly wreaked havoc on her credit rating with this uncalled for action. Come on, American Express- Easter Sunday? What will happen when my daughter tries to buy a house, her immediate plan. Will American Express relay to creditors that my daughter is not a deadbeat? Of course not.

• Yi
    Yield Feb 10, 2010

In December 2008 AX lowered my limit from $17, 500.00 to $5, 000.00 without notifying me before taking that action. They also raised the interest rate to 27.24% !!! This is robbery. I've had a credit line with them since 1982, and this is no way to treat such a long time, good paying customer. This card will be canceled and I recommend everyone else do the same. Many businesses don't even take AX because the company charges them too much for transaction fees. I will tell everyone I know what they've done, and I encourage a boycott of American Express!

• Lu
    Luis PIsterman Feb 08, 2010

I bought two airline tickets using reward points based on the advertising that the tickets did not have any restrictions (Amex advertises that airlines tickets bought with points do not have blackout dates and/or restrictions). When I called the Airline to request upgrades using my airline points I was told that due to the ticket fare it was not upgradable.
    When I contacted American Express I was told that they were going to look into the problem, I ended traveling and after returning I contacted Amex again and I was told that I never contacted the airline (???) and that the tickets did not have any restrictions.
    I sent a letter to AMEX with the following attachments: photocopy of the tickets issued by their travel agency, photocopy of the airline regulations with respect to fares in which it read very clear that the fare in question was not upgradable.
    As of today (more that a year went by) they are still giving me the round around and not taking responsibility for their mistake.

• Je
    jeffey9/11 Jan 14, 2010

American express has become one of the worse companies i have ever done business with. they never respond to the requesws and use the wrong information hat they have sold to you. they will argue with you even if they are wrong and have made a mistake. DO not be suprised if they go out of business because they have some really unprofessional and lousy people working for and running the company.

• Se
    Seattle Realtor Oct 18, 2009

American Express did the same tactics to me I just finally figured out they have been breaking the rules. I to recieved a letter letting me know I was going to recieve a special zero percent interest rate and the the nice lady at United Recovery would help me get things back on track so that I could get my card back again. I arranged numerous post dated checks with United. Then one month I was running short in my bank account and contacted the nice lady "Shyla" she got real nasty with me and also called my previous husband and then called my office phone number. Next thing I know I am getting a call from another "nice lady" from a law firm that is handling the Collection...this is the first I hear of a collection and in fact I have a letter that has all the agreed post dated checks on it. Of course they profess to be working for American Express and they are ever so kind to send me a false statement from American Express and also charge me interest.

I have now sent a letter of demand requesting they comply and tell me about my debt and what they purchased it for from American Express.

Sadly when I got the letter that I was getting help I called American Express they had assigned me to United Recovery and there was no way back to them.

Now American Express shows I am paying the money is not going to them but they have some funky ledger. What is this all about and I am considering just paying American Express because that is who I owe money too.

• This company seems to have all the people at the bottom of the barrel collecting with bad tactics. They refused to settle with me and talked to my fiance and caused a break up saddened by this i am in no position to pay.

• I too had American Express approach my business and cause 2 employees to quit. One kept saying am i going to lose my paycheck if you close? no amount of consoling helped and they quit. Same law office Brian zswickley something like that they filed a law suit and I answered it, now they filed for a motion for summary judgment i am filing bankruptcy as their actions cost me business by jacking their jaws to people who answer the phone at my work just like they did to the person above. Attorneys must answer to complaints to the bar, if the representative they use to call broke the law they are also responsible for their actions

MadAngry Jun 09, 2009

Congradulations on your new blog. I will mark it in my favs. You are doing the right thing getting the word out. We must do it while we are still allowed.

You can also talk about your experiences with AE here, in my new "Greedy [email protected][email protected]$ Hall of Shame" blog

Power to the People
    Power to the People Right On
    -John & Yoko Lennon

• Di
    Dissaponted in Costco Amex May 23, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me except I have never missed or was late with a payment always paid it off in full each month great credit history. They told me because my debt ratio was high. Oh well all credit cards are paid off now and they sent me a letter to apply for a new card. Don't want to do business with them and thinking of seriously canceling my Costco membership...

Charly May 07, 2009

I have been an American Express customer for 25 years. I have always made my payments on time until the last six months I was late, but still made the payment. I received a cancellation notice without warning today stating that the reason they were canceling me was because of the score experian reported for me. So being a good customer for 25 years and trying to make it through a terrible recession means nothing to these people. This card was a COSTCO rewards card..I wonder if that has some bearing on their decision. I am disappointed in the behavior of this company to just suddenly cancel someone with an over all good history.

• Je
    Jeremy Weed Mar 25, 2009

To Whom It May Concern:

Yesterday I went to Costco to purchase some goods, and my American Express (AE) card was not accepted. I called your 888 number and was told it was due to some "external delinqency" I had. I assumed it must have had something to do with my student loans so I called the federal loan tracking number and talked to a woman by the name of Shirley, who told me that none of my loans were delinquent.

So, I called American Express back again and talked to four people, one of which hung up on me. I have the names (which I will leave out) of the five people I talked to including a supervisor from the Credit Operations Dept. All I was told was I was up for review on a few days ago and that a report from Experian led them to decide to close
    my credit card, that is, without calling me, emailing me, or sending me a letter of any sort.

My question to them was, am I or have I ever been delinquent with my Amercian Express account? Any derogatory? I know the answer. I have paid on time and am on good terms, yet they decided to close my account based on secondary information that claimed I was "delinquent" when I am not.

I have requested a credit report and a list of my rights and it shall take 10 days to arrive. According to what I see I expect to follow up on any information I receive. I find it quite sad that a company of their reputation would act in such a manner, without even caring to contact me. If they had bothered to contact me I could have informed you that I just finished a Masters of Science in Nursing from a top notch private Jesuit University, and I am now working at a hospital that reputes as number one in many areas, and that I would have no problem paying any of my debts. Nevertheless, they decided to go forward without verification of any sort. Naturally in our economy, I understand that their action was a pre-emptive decision based on fear. What type of consumer service is that?

• So
    soccerdvl Mar 25, 2009

How is that amex fault? They are giftcards to companys so whosever company that is that you got the giftcard through is at blame for that. Amex just sends out the giftcard. They are giftcards through partner with amex. If you have a problem with a giftcard it would be the company whose name is on the front of the giftcards fault.

• Md
    MD08 Mar 10, 2009

Hi all,

I am one more "not contacted but cancelled card" story based on my credit report. When I told them I have the credit report in front of me and they need to tell what has changed from the period they issued me the card they asked me to dispute it.

I read a lot of these complaint on web and want to know if something can be done regarding this. I cant just see them taking our tax money to run their businesses and then tell us to get lost...

... I am really loosing my nerves over this and need some answerability. Any suggestion?

• In
    informedconsumer Mar 08, 2009

The same thing happened to me. I asked why I had not been notified and per the representative, A letter was mailed to me two weeks after the date it was lowered. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that the other rep was new and had given me wrong information. I called again after the letter came to ask once again the date it was lowered, the new representative was correct the letter was mailed two weeks after the date. The supervisor had lied to me to protect the company.