American Express / newest shady practice

It's not new but American Express' new practice of lowering credit limits is very much in their favor. Since it is entirely possible that it will affect your credit score they are lowering credit limits and then turning around and using your new lower scores and debt/to credit ratios against you to hike rates and do some of the other things that they have been doing to their customers that they have had for years. I had a long conversation with a rep at AMX and the one big thing that they kept bringing up was my overall debt to available credit. They cut a $12, 200 AMX Blue limit to $3, 000. That will affect my credit rating I'm sure.
And then they turn around and use that against you.

What I came away with from my conversations with AMX is that they no longer want to be in the "credit" business. They are trying hard to get back to being a charge card company where everyone pays in full each month. Their main thing seems to be cards that have a balance for whatever reason. That want that money and they are actively asking for it. Every time I have talked with them they ask if I can make my payments "today", even if it is not due for 2 weeks. They asked me that for each card that I had with them the last time I spoke to them. They seem soooooo desparate it is pathetic.
They have absolutely no concern or consideration for their customers. Be warned.

What once was the mighty American Express is no more, and probably never will be.

Da

Comments

• Mc
      26th of Aug, 2009

I have been a cardmember since 1989 - Amex gold and Amex Blue. Recently Amex slashed by credit limit on my Blue from 20, 400 to 6, 500. When I contacted them they said they are reviewing all customers, and because of the current market conditions they agreed to lower the limits on customers accross the board. In addition my Gold card which carries a balance on my 'Sign and Travel/and or Extended Payment Options' was recently cancelled, despite the fact that I pay each month. When I contacted Amex they claimed the decision to close my accounts was in part based on the fact that I was "delinquent" in April - I was less than a week late (not deliberately), and that I did not follow up on their request for "financial information" from me. The latter was a blatant lie, as I spoke with a rep who promised to send me "forms" via e-mail requesting tax forms, etc. I never received the forms. I had no intentions of sending them my tax info but was not even given the opportunity to do so. I think this is such a poor excuse to close my account. I don't know what their intentions are, but this is deception. After 20 years with Amex, I am very disgusted with them. I know treating long-standing customers in such a callous way will eventually backfire on them! Shame on you Amex.