Amana Stove / Factory defects

I purchased Amana stove model AGR5735QDS from Sears in November, 2003. It is a self-cleaning model. I cleaned it one time after I had the stove about a year (I don't use the oven very often). The second time I tried the self-cleaning option it didn't work - June, 2006. I called a local authorized service repair center who told me the unit needed a new circuit board - the price would be about $350.00 which turns out to be 30-40% of the cost of the stove.

I know it is past warranty but I thought that only working one time was not acceptable and it sounded to me like a factory defect; under normal circumstances I would not ask for help but I believe this is way above and beyond normal wear and tear.

I contacted the Amana consumer helpline and the response was boiler plate - I got nothing from them. Of course, I would like Amana to replace the circuit board free of charge to me but I am open to sharing the cost but I was never offered any option.

I would like to know from you if I have any chance of pursuing this further.

Thank you. Phyllis

Ph

Comments

• De
      1st of Sep, 2008
    Amana Stove - Lack of quality

I purchased an Amana stove in 1991. Almost immediately, I dropped a can on the top and chipped the paint. My fault.
    The endcaps, which started out white, turned yellow. There is no way to get them white again. Amana did offer to sell me new endcaps, but I would have preferred that they hadn't yellowed in the first place. The drip pans that came with the stove were a pale gray. Looked nice when new, but it didn't take long for them to look bad. Amana sent me new black drip pans. I boiled water on the large back burner, and shorted out the control panel. When I called Amana, they told me I wasn't supposed to boil water on the back burner. Thank goodness I had the presence of mind to ask, "Exactly where in the owner's manual does it say that?" They had to agree that there was no such warning in the manual, and they paid for the repair. Now, we're remodeling our kitchen, and I'm unable to buy new endcaps. So far, I've been able to buy 3 of the 4 new control knobs. The writing/print has worn off all four, and I can't read them. I decided to buy a new stovetop (the piece that the burners go in) because ours looks terrible. I'm having trouble, but will continue to look for one. All in all, what I thought was a quality appliance turned out to be a piece of garbage, and I will never buy another Amana product again.

• Ro
      29th of Oct, 2008

I have an Amana that I thought would be a good unit. I have used the oven less than 3 times a month and the glow element does not work and has not worked in years. This electric crap is for the birds bring back the pilot light at least the oven works in my camper and it's not an Amana