Alltel / account was turned to collections

I closed a wireless phone account with Alltel in 2002 because of frequent billing errors. At the time the account was closed Alltel sent me a letter stating what they would accept as final payment to close the account which was $300. I then sent a check to alltel for $300. In 2004 I got a notice from a collection agency for the final payment, which I had paid and the payment had cleared my bank. When I called alltel they would not even talk to me about my account because it had "been turned over to collections".

I have a copy of the final check paid to alltel and it shows a different account then mine on the back side of the check (off by one digit). So it looks like alltel posted my payment to the wrong account, but again alltel will not discuss this as they no longer have my account, the collection agency does. The latest collection agency (AFNI) says my check copy and letter from alltel is not good enough proof that this was paid. What else can I possibly give them. (although in their last letter deny my dispute they say a copy of my drivers license and social security card "might" help. Yeah, right!

I have contact the Alltel corporate office to try and get help clearing this up, but I don't even get a response from them.

Can you point me in the right direction to help settle this matter, it has been almost 5 years since I paid this bill.

Comments

• J
      7th of Mar, 2008

you would have to provide proof to Afni that the same exact same account number of Alltel's was paid (afni has on file the same original alltel account number)...

so they must match up...if not...you are out of luck...

pay the bill