[Resolved] Alamo Rent A Carovercharged and getting refund proving impossible

We made our reservation in June 2016 for an Economy Car (Kia Rio or Similar) for our cross country 34-day road trip from LA to Orlando. When we arrived in the US on November 20 excited to start our holiday it was quickly marred by the customer service we received at the Alamo LAX location. We were bullied into upgrading to a larger car and told that both the that Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and Extended Protection (EP) were mandatory and that we would not be allowed to rent the car without these 2 extra insurances despite the fact that the rental agreement lists them both as optional. Given the length of our rental these changes resulted in a very large increase in the total cost and the next day we proceeded to call the Alamo customer service line to check if these 2 insurances were in fact mandatory. They were not and we cancelled the EP.

Despite these initial annoyances we decided to just get on with our holiday and enjoy ourselves, which we did until we had to return the car. Given that our rental was 34 days we had to visit an Alamo location to extend the rental after 30 days, which we did, but rather than paying for an additional 4 days we were charged for another 30. We were not aware of this at the time we extended the rental because the woman who served us did not give us an updated bill but rather just reprinted the original rental agreement. In total we were charged $2383.82 for the first 30 days which is correct and $1447.87 for the last 4 days.

I first called on December 28th or 29th to investigate the charges when they came through on my credit card, was explained the overcharge and told that the issue needed to be sent back to the LA location where we rented the car but that is should be resolved within a week and was given the reference #[protected].

I returned home to Australia on January 3 and had had no contact from Alamo for an updated invoice and had not received a refund. I called the customer service line and was rudely told that I should call back during business hours and that he could not help me. Given the time difference, calling during business hours is not as simple as it sounds.

I called back the following day, as close to business hours as possible and was informed that I should allow up to 7 business days for the refund to be processed.

It had been 7 business days without any contact or refund so I again called the customer service line. The woman I spoke to was very friendly and she informed me that the matter had not even been processed to the correct people. She informed me that she will send the matter directly to a manager and it may take 3-5 business days.

I received a refund of $201.90 on January 11th, an amount much smaller than I had expected so I again called the customer service line. After quickly explaining my situation to the first person I was transferred to escalation. The woman was very helpful and informed me that as the refund amount was so high it was still being approved by the pickup location in LA.

On January 17th I called again. This is now my 5th call since I have been home in Australia, 5 international calls which have not been cheap. Again I was transferred to escalation and had to explain my situation again. Again I was told that he would send the issue to his manager and I should allow a few days for a resolution.

At this point I have become incredibly irate over the situation. I have continued to be polite and civil to the people I speak to over the phone as it is not their mistake that I am trying to correct, but it has been over 3 weeks since I returned the car in Orlando and the issue is still not resolved. I have been hand balled from person to person without any progress being made and now feel that the only way my complaint will be resolved and my refund processed is to share it publicly. Additionally, I have been charged by my credit card company for overdraw fees and am very much out of pocket.

I would appreciate that my refund be resolved as quickly as possible.

• Resolution statement

• Alamo Rent A Car Customer Care's Response, Feb 01, 2017

Thank you, Katie, for your thoughtful review. I see that you've been in contact with our office. I have included the details of this review and have asked that a member of management address this for you. If we can help, please send a detailed email to [protected]@mailca.custhelp.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.

Ka