Airtel - Karnataka, India / airtel's datacard services sucks in bangalore

I brought a new toshiba laptop 10 days back which has pcmcia slot... Having been a airtel customer for its mobile service for the last eight years, decided to opt for a airtel data card to browse the web on my laptop. Got in touch with vioice & data solutions, bharati airtel ltd (Complete address # 513, 16 cross, off cmf road, indiranagar ii stage, bangalore - 38). They told me the various tariff plans and said the card would cost rs 4999/. I agreed and requested whether somebody could be sent to do the installation. They agreed, but it took two whole days and innumerable calls before a sales guy called anand [protected]) turned up. He took the money, installed the card and promised to activate it the same day. He tried to install what airtel calls global mobility manager... After repeated attempts he failed to install the software.

He promised to come back but never turned up for another two days (I kept calling as he had taken my money and left me with an inactive data card). Finally he brought his 'senior' engineer, guy called hamid, who also could not install the software. Promised to come back with an even senior guy.

They again took another 3 days before a chap called santosh kumar [protected]) turned up... He fiddled around for an hour and then finally announced "u have windows vista on your laptop that is why it wont work... Pls get windows xp installed... " I couldn't fathom his gall... If this is really true shame on airtel, if they can't get their data card to work with vista.

I demanded my money back and they said you have to contact 121 for that and sort the issue out. Here everybody is passing the buck and I am asked to contact 7070 who in turn direct me back to 121. Even as I write I am struck with a useless inactive datacard and my money is gone along with my piece of mind...

A  3rd of Jul, 2007 by
I had a very similar experience, wherein it took 5 days to activate the data SIM and once it was activated I found that I can't connect to the internet and the GPRS registration was denied. Several calls to help desk proved futile so did the smart move and acquiring a similar datacard from Reliance and to my surprise it was activated on the same hour and what a speed!!!

I am stuck with the Airtel card which is useless to me and I have canceled my postpaid data SIM card.
A  22nd of Sep, 2007 by
My no. has got registration failed my no is 9880128494
A  1st of Jan, 2008 by
Airtel basks in the glory of the past. Let me inform audiences that with the current approach of Airtel employees and their services, AIrtel will be history.

I had a horrible experinece when it took a week for Airtel to activate my connection.

Their service is junk and i wish Vodafone can pick up and throw Airtel out of this business.

Frankly Airtel does not deserve to be number 1.
A  26th of Jan, 2008 by
I am ROHITH . i stay in bangalore . I have waited for a long time to buy AIRTEL DATA CARD because it gives good speed compare to other connections like RELIANCE , TATA INDICOM . The day when i AIRTEL RELATIONSHIP CENTER to buy data card , the person said that the speed could be around 40-100 kbps . I was happy hearing this and i purchased the data card . From day 1 the speed was not crossing 10kbps , its the most biggest mistake i have done buying AIRTEL DATA CARD . I REQUEST ALL THE VIEWERS NOT TO PURCHASE AIRTEL DATA CARD .

YOU CAN CONTACT ME ON : 09886932171
A  26th of Jan, 2008 by
never ever go for an airtel data card....people go for it just because its airtel and expect more out of it...........but to be frank airtel is a big zero when it comes to wireless internet connectivity...........instead activate gprs on ur mobile phone its called mobile office" and connect it to ur laptop either with bluetooth or cable .......daily amount of 14.99/- get deducted and solves the purpose of connectivity even as u move...

Bharti Airtel Logo Bharti Airtel