Air Canada / price of tickets for funeral

1 10212 Yonge St. Suite 210Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 905-780-1196

In March of 2008, my beloved brother-in law passed away and the funeral was in Miami. tickets were full price and the total for just two of us was almost $2500.00. Had I had a wife and a few more children, you do the math.
The plane was virtually empty.
There used to be a policy in regards to deaths and sudden bookings but my understanding is that Air Canada no longer does this, period.
I find this deplorabel. It is bad enough to lose a loved one but to have it cause use substancial financial pain that is unwarranted makes the entire incident a hundred times worse.
If this is in fact getting to Air Canada, I would like a large portion of my money re-imbursed. You can find the details of his funeral by googling "Jack Levine, obituary and Miami Herald."
Sincerely,
Barry Rich

Comments

• Ge
      18th of Jan, 2010

Barry,
    Air Canada announced a while back that they would no longer have bereavement fares. It was a scam anyway. You had to pay for a full fare ticket and would receive a 50% reimbursement upon supplying a death certificate. The fare they quote as "full fare" is not one you ever actually saw. When my father died a few years ago three of his children had to return home from, Tel Aviv, Vancouver, and Toronto. We were all quoted this "bereavement fare". As it turned out 50% of the fare we were each quoted was more than any of us paid just by calling Air Canada and buying a ticket. In the case of Vancouver and Toronto for travel the very same day.

I can't recall the fare for the others but the full fare I was quoted from Tel Aviv at that time was $5000. (Yes this was Coach.) After being reimbursed it would have cost me $2500. By calling Air Canada in Tel Aviv directly, the fare on the flight the next day (same flight as the bereavement fare) was $1800.

So in an effort to help me in my sorrow Air Canada was graciously going to permit me to pay $700 more.

I used to be loyal to Air Canada (one year I flew 103 flights) but now I fly whichever airline has the best fare and schedule for when and where I need to be. It is a lot less of a problem to just purchase access to airline lounges when I choose to. That seemed to be the only benefit. In all my flights with Air Canada I have been bumped up to Business class a grand total of twice! And unlike other airlines that I frequent, one is not able on Air Canada to use air miles to upgrade to Business class.

They have a virtual monopoly in Canada. Their motto should "We Don't Care, We Don't Have Too!".

• Au
      21st of Dec, 2012

My mother has just flown Air Canada to resolve matters in Canada after her uncle's death, and despite the fact that she for some reason paid half as much again as her sister despite them both booking on the AC website within minutes of each other, Air Canada have sent a letter in response to her query, the gist of which is "We don't give a damn, you've already paid us."

I personally will never fly AC again. They are sharks.