Air Canada / fuel surcharge

British Columbia
In February 2009 I booked return travel with Air Canada from Kamloops to Sydney Australia. Air Canada continues to have a fuel surcharge on international flights. Since booking and paying for my ticket the fuel surcharge has been reduced on the Sydney flight. I contacted Air Canada to discuss a refund, they explained that they do not refund changes in fares. I understand and agree with this policy. The fuel surcharge however is separate from the fare (it even shows this on the Air Canada receipt) and is intended to offset increased fuel cost. I am paying for fuel that will be used during my travel. Since the trip has not yet occured and the fuel surcharge is now lower (reduced from $320 - 230) is seems resonable that the difference would be refunded.

N  20th of Sep, 2008 by
On Sep13, 2008, I booked two round-trip Air Canada filght tickets which are Vancouver--Toronto Oct 10--Oct18, 2008 . On Sept. 18, 2008, Air Canada announced that in response to decreasing fuel prices the airline is incorporating fuel surcharges into its advertised base fares on North American flights. However, Air Canada refused to return fuel surcharges $189 to me.
A  26th of Sep, 2008 by
I too got the same response from Air Canada. WestJet is refunding the surcharge without any hassle. Time to change to a carrier who actually believe in customer service. Is there anyone out there who actually feel any loyalty to Air Canada ?
N  30th of Oct, 2008 by
Below is the letter that we sent to Air Canada...they have not replied and I don't think they will...by the way, we've called but they wouldn't put us through to anyone of importance to discuss the issue:

2 tickets for London are $2401.76 from April 12-May 6. We have a credit of $2300.00 and we are aware that we have to pay $80.00 per person for changing reservation as a penalty and $100.00 for both of us as a difference in price, which is a total of $260.00. Your agents are saying that we have to pay additional $600.00 per person, which is half of the price for airfare, to compensate for fuel surcharges and some other charges. My way of thinking is, if you have $2300.00 of our money as a credit, why would you keep $470.00 of our money per person (where did that money disappear?) and charge us additional $600.00 per person, calling it fuel surcharges nowadays and you didn't have it before, when we canceled trip to Mexico in July. If it would help, I can send you screen shots of our canceled ticket with the price break down and the screen shot of the fair that we wish to book.

What next? Good luck to us all.
A  21st of Nov, 2008 by
with the oil price continues to drop, is there a reason that the fuel surcharge not following?
A  2nd of Dec, 2008 by
As of today December 2 2008 oil prices are at their lowest in years. However, Air Canada still has a fuel charge of $320 to London England!!!

They derseve to be out of business.

Complaints to the company seem to have no effect.
N  2nd of Dec, 2008 by
December 1 2008 - Fuel prices at a multiyear low. However, Air Canada still have a $320.00 fuel surcharge to London England!!!
N  18th of Jan, 2009 by
Yeah they're not in the business of getting rid of it though they will start to incorporate it into the price because their "smart" marketing department feels that consumers don't mind paying for it as long as they don't see it on the bill.
N  1st of Feb, 2009 by
When will Air Canada get it that what people really dislike not knowing what the real price is going to be before clicking any further buttons. Advertising a flight for $524 that ends up totalling $916 is just plain stupid. Fuel surcharge? Does that mean that the aircraft was going to fly without any fuel before donating my surcharge?
A  9th of Mar, 2009 by
I dont understand this at all myself, these big Coorporations are stealing money from us with our eyes closed, where are you steven Harper, How are you helping, this Air Canada fuel surcharge issue should be adressed to Steven Harper directly, its a huge scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.
Brahim Kilani, Ontario Canada.
A  9th of Mar, 2009 by
In my previous post I ment they are scamming us and taking our money with our eyes open,
Share on you Air Canada, we like your service and we understood when the gas prices went up but now it should at least be slightly adjusted, Steven Harper, where are you in this or are you taking our tax money yourself too, what a mess, People speack up please!!! every voice matters, , ,
A  18th of May, 2009 by
I am in the exact same situation. I booked my return flight for 3 of us from Victoria BC to Nagoya Japan for July back in January to secure good connection. I paid $475.00 each for fuel surcharge. Now it is only $85.00 per passenger. difference is $390.00 x 3. I called them and ask for adjustment but hteir answer was "No, it is non-refundable fee." I am not asking to adjust ticket base fare which is cheaper as they put seat sale on now. I think it is not reasonable on my side but taz and fees that made difference between now and then especially I ahven't taken the flight yet should be refunded. I am very frustlated with this situation. The same thing happened with Westjet last year and they refunded the fuel surcharge with no question. Air Canada really have to start thinking about how to retain customers keeps coming back to them. I too feel that this is so unreasonable that they don't refund us this portion that they don't have to charge now.
N  23rd of Jun, 2015 by
Air Canada is a very dishonest company and will soon be sued for FRAUD. Double Billing me and lying to the bank about the transaction and me...I HAVE PROOF...BEWARE OF AIR CANADA, AGAIN VERY DISHONEST COMPANY
N  8th of Feb, 2016 by
just did a random search for Bus Class Ottawa to Saskatoon. This is one of the results posted ... via Halifax. I think they do it on purpose.

Air Canada Logo Air Canada