Afni Collections / Bogus collection charges

I received a notice from afni that I owe over a thousand dollars to verizon who inherited the bill when they purchased GTE 10 years ago. It claims that they have been trying to reach me to collect this amount. This was the first that I had seen of it. When I finally was able to reach someone on the phone to dispute it they said that I have to go online to submit the dispute. I went online and lo and behold a month later I receive a bill. No other communication was given to me for a bill that was not mine. I was a minor in high school at that time and did not have a phone line. I am writing to the credit bureaus and afni. What else should I do? Advise plz!

Cr

Comments

• Ge
      30th of Apr, 2007

As many others I have just received a bogus bill from AFNI its from an old address I had 9 years ago I don't recall having this phone number, if so why would I get contacted so late along with no mark on my credit. They only sent me a letter showing half of the proof I asked. Does anyone have any advice in battling these guys. This well worth the fight. They should not get away with this.

• Mi
      30th of Apr, 2007

I too am a victim of the dreaded Collection Notice however I can take this one step further... I called and they even have the last four of my social. Where are they getting this info? I have never resided at the address that they stated the phone bill was at in 1997 nor did I live in the City. I find it odd that they misspelled my first name and used my maiden name.

They politely offered to settle for a lesser amount however; why should I pay for a debt that isn't mine!

I will send a dispute letter but I'm totally agitated that I must prove my innocence.

• Da
      2nd of May, 2007

The statute of limitations is about 7 years that this account can be placed on your credit report. So, don't worry about it. Don't you DARE pay any amount or even agree to pay any amount on this old debt. This is a typical trick where they buy debts for pennies on the dollar and attempt collections with fear and intimidation.

If you pay anything, or agree to pay anything, they can open this debt back up and start from zero on your credit report. That means if you pay, they can put this on your credit report now and it will stay there for 7 years.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING!

If the notices are for something like a court judgment then the limitations statute might be null and void.

• Bo
      5th of Jun, 2007

I received one of these bogus letters sent to my maiden name and called to tell them they were absolutely wrong about the collection. They tried to pin a bill on me from 1995 in Brooklyn, NY. I've never even been to Brooklyn, NY. They gave me the street number and phone #. They knew the last 4 of my social. They told me to go to their website and download a fraud complaint form. There was no form anywhere. I emailed for help and received a form saying they wanted copies of everything from a utility bill from 1995 to my current drivers license. The clincher was that they wanted a copy of my social security card. That was a huge red flag.

• Ts
      6th of Jul, 2007

Thank goodness I found this sight. My husband received a letter yesterday for the same issues. This so called debt has to be over ten years old as he has moved and been in another state. The time frame doesn't add up either. He was still living at home with his parents and would have had no need for phone services in his name. I refuse to call them and decided to call Verizon instead. They couldn't even give me the address to where this home phone service was connected because it drops out of their system after 7 years. Why would I pay anything that did not have viable proof accompanying it. These people are full of IT! Totally. I even did a BBB check on them and they have a satisfactory rating. How I ask? They obviously have had numerous complaints, yet they continue to get away with this. I refuse to fall into this trap. If this charge was an issue why has it never been on my husbands credit? Makes no sense.

• Jr
      14th of Dec, 2007

I too received a notice from Afni claiming I owed $300.01 on an old Bell Atlantic (now Verizon) bill from 10 years ago. I don't recall ever having a Bell Atlantic account and neither Bell Atlantic at the time or Verizon has ever contacted me concerning this debt. The rep from Afni claims Verizon did an internal audit and this is how they discovered the debt.

I am sending Afni a letter requesting verification of the debt and also told the rep I wanted copies of the bills that shows phone service and the calls placed that comprise the debt. He said they do not have that information and the burden of proof was not on them.

• Ne
      16th of Dec, 2007

I currently received a bill from the same company the other day for 104.32. When I called the company they stated that this was from 1999 and that I am still liable for the bill. I do not recall a outstanding bill from bell atlantic. I recently purchased a home and this particular debt was not on my credit report. I did call the collections agencey and she asked how I was going to pay. I stated this is extorsion! I refuse to pay... for something I have no clue about in 1999. What options do I have?

• Gr
      17th of Dec, 2007

Everybody, this is happening to a lot of people right now: every billing mistake ever resolved with Bell Atlantic, NYNEX, etc, every ID fraud case already straightened out, etc, etc way back from the 1990s is suddenly coming to life again after Verizon sold off these bogus uncollectable debts to ANFI.

You can find a lot of resources out on the web about how to approach these cases, but most of them will tell you to send a dispute letter to them by certified mail and ask them for reasonable documentation (billing history, bills, judgements, etc) and telling them that you do not owe this money. Make sure the certified mail is return receipt requested so that you have proof you did this.

Next, you need to file complaints with the FTC, your state's department of consumer affairs, and the Attorneys General of Illinois, your own state, and the state where ANFI now alleges you incured the debt.

If they try to sue you or put this on your credit report, go get an attorney who specializes in consumer protection laws and sue them.

28th of Dec, 2007

I too recvd a letter from AFNI for a Bell Atlantic bill. I think i had a Bell Atlantic line 7 to 8 years ago and don't remember NOT paying their bill as if one didn't pay, they would turn off your phone. This is typical AFNI style strongarm collection tactics-I dealt with them recently on an old VONAGE bill (which the company wrote off since their service did not work, meanwhile, AFNI, 2 years later wanted me to produce documents or pay the bogus bill). This is what they do. I will dispute them and file complaints with all the right authorities.