Aer Lingus / Unjust Overweight Charges

1 Dublin, Ireland Review updated:

We booked Aer Lingus to fly from Dublin to Gatwick. Aer Lingus was the only airline flying this route on that day, so I had booked them as opposed to BA. We had some extra baggage, so I went ahead and booked an extra bag ahead of time for 15 Euro. When I got to the airport, I was told that although I had booked and paid for an additional bag, I was still only allowed the same baggage weight allowance for one person (20kg). I cannot understand why anyone would want to purchase an extra bag without wanting extra weight. I assumed I would be allowed 40kg when I booked the extra bag, but I was still only allowed 20kg which would have been the same weight as if I had not booked the extra bag. I am sure that alot of other passengers fall for this! Do not be tricked by this!

In all fairness, Aer Lingus is a good airline to fly light. They have very competitive prices if you travel light, but it can cost you your shirt and pants literally if you are over weight. I almost had to pay 300 Euro in over weight fess. Fortunately the staff at check in allowed me to manipulate the items in my luggage. I carried three coats in my hang on the plane and adjusted items between my luggage and hang luggage.

Gl
Nov 20, 2013

Comments

• Pa
      5th of Jul, 2014

I arrived from Dublin to JFK on June 25th, 2014. My bag was missing. The bag is still missing for 11 days. I call, fax, email and phone with no answer. Aer Lingus does nor respond. My meds are in my bag.