A&E Factory Service / terrible customer service

1 St Louis, MO, United States Review updated:

I was directed to a&e by my home protection policy when my built-in Whirlpool oven ceased to work. Two weeks later I still don't have a working oven (and I DO have 4 children), I have two incorrect parts from Whirlpool and I have been told that I will not be able to use the self-clean function ever again. From the first visit the technician was telling me that it would be repaired faster if my husband could install the part once it arrived (after I had paid my $100 deductible). When the second incorrect part arrived on a Friday, a&e's call center person was rude, told me there was nothing she could do except to ask me to call back tomorrow, and offered to give me Whirlpool's number so that I could order a part myself! All this for $100! It was, quite simply one of the worst customer service experiences I have had (trumped only by AT&T-worst service of all time). Whatever you do: do not call a&e factory service. If you have a home protection policy and they direct you there ask for another vendor and refuse to use this "service."

Li

Comments

25th of Jul, 2007
    A&E Factory Service - Horrible customer service!

After purchasing a Whirlpool washing machine and dryer at Sears Roebuck, I needed to have service performed w/in one year of usage. I was instructed that Sears Roebuck outsourced all repairs to A&E Factory Service. I contact A&E Factory Service to schedule an appointment and was informed a service technician would come to my house between 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM on Saturday. At 11:45 AM, I called A&E Factory Service for a status update only to find out that I was service # 16 and that a technician may show up between 1:00 - 5:00 PM or may need to reschedule. Rather than sit around and waste the entire day, I called A&E every hour for status updates. At 4:45 PM, the technician arrived, diagnosed the problem, submitted an order for the replacement part, printed the receipt, and informed me how to install it once it arrived.

Three weeks later, I still didn't have the part. I called A&E Factory Service only to be told that the part was shipped was sent to an unknown address and returned to the manufacture. In order to have the part re-sent, I would need to schedule another appointment and have the technician verify I didn't have the part.

So the saga continues... I make another appointment between the hours of 8:00 - 12:00 PM on a Saturday as I work full-time during the week. At 8:30 AM, I called A&E on the day of the scheduled service to ask for an update. The rep stated I was service # 5 and the technician was currently at service # 3 so to expect him at 11:00 AM. Again, I called at 12, 1, 2 & 3 only to have him appear at 4:00 PM. After further review, the technician stated the previous technician ordered the wrong part for a completely different model of the washing machine. So, we tried again.

After two weeks, the part finally arrived; however, I was not able to install it myself. Therefore, it qualified for yet ANOTHER visit. After 2 months, my washing machine was finally operating.

Not even a month later, my dryer stopped working. FURIOUS at the thought of having to work w/ A&E Factory Service again, I contemplated buying another dryer from a different vendor, however, I couldn't justify the expense given my dryer was only 1 year and 3 months old. So, I called A&E, scheduled an appointment between the hours of 1:00 - 5:00 PM on a Wednesday since I was going out of town on the weekend. I come home from work early only to receive a call from the technician at 3:00 PM stating I was service # 12 and he was currently at service # 5 so there's no way he could make the appointment and advised that I reschedule for Friday afternoon. I informed him that I couldn't as I have to work and his response "I'm sorry miss, you better call the dispatcher and schedule a time that works for you." Fueled by anger, I dialled the #, asked to speak w/ the manager (not on site and would have to call me) and had no other option but to make an appointment for the following Saturday. I don't have much hope that A&E Factory Service will improve their customer service, so I fully intend to be housebound on yet another Saturday as I wait for a technician to appear.

Following this complaint, I've also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as this type of customer service is totally unacceptable.

Future buyers: BEWARE of buying appliances which require A&E Factory Service to repair them. It's not worth the headache or nuisance!!!

• Qu
      30th of Nov, 2007

Funny that Sears says that they "outsource" their service to A&E, sears OWNS A&E.

• Ta
      8th of Aug, 2008

On Aug 8, 2008, I was scheduled to have my refrigerator repaired by A& E Factory Service. I was given a 4 hour window. I explained that I was out of state and needed to arrange to have someone at my house and would appreciate them adhering to the time window. On the morning of the scheduled service I called to make sure I was scheduled. Later I received a call from the technician saying he would arrive between approximately between 10:30 & 10:45. When no one had arrived by 12:30 I called customer service. I was told that unfortunately they didn't get to me today and I could schedule another 4 hr window. I asked to speak to a supervisory. The supervisor said that was incorrect and that I was still on the list. I later received a call from a different technician saying that I had been added to his list, but that he didn't know when he would be able to get to my house. What awful customer service. I have registered a formal complaint with Kitchen Aid (they made the referral to A&E) and A&E. I am looking for another replair company.