ADT / lied about free install in new home

CA, United States Review updated:

We signed up with ADT in July 2006. When we had the system installed we were told that if we moved after 2 years we would get free installation of a system in our new house. In January 2009, we moved to a new home and called ADT to have a system installed. ADT claimed that we were only eligible for a $99 credit towards the cost of a new system and we would have to shell out several hundred dollars. My DH got so fed up with ADT's lies that we decided to go with one of their competitors. Stay away from ADT and their lies!!!

Comments

• Kg
      13th of Jul, 2010

ADT—Knoxville, TN

My complaint is not with ADT main company but a contractor out of Knoxville, TN. I was TOLD that my contract was for one year but later learned it was for three years. I was going to pay out one year and then cancel. I wanted to do that only because the customer service was so bad. For example, I signed the first contract and a few days later they called and said something on it was not correct. I signed the second contract that still had the $32 rate. Two weeks later a woman came to my door with a third contract for me to sign. I wouldn't sign this one as I had signed the second one of which she had no knowledge. This was not making me feel very good about ADT. Also, they would apologize for the background noise on the line each time I called. It sounds as if there "office" phone is a pay phone in a bus station.

First there was the lie about the contract length. On learning that I have Vonage phone service, they said the ADT system couldn't work on these newer telephone systems and that I had to have "cell-phone monitoring". This will be a growing problem as more and more people are going to Voice over Internet Provider systems. They never said there was an extra charge for this plus the charge was NOT in my contract. The first months charge to my credit card was for the amount stated in the contract but the next charge was for almost $20 more. I called the office in Knoxville and they said they had to charge me something. I refused to pay this full price as I had not been told at install. I agreed to a new contract for half the rate for the cell phone monitoring service and they sent me a new contract. After two months I saw ADT was still charging my card the full rate, so I called again and they agreed this was incorrect and that they would try to fix it with ADT billing. This was when I asked how many months I had left on the contract. I told her that I was unhappy about being lied to and she said it was my own fault. I tried to ask her if it was my fault for not catching a lie as it was spoken or words to that effect but we were both shouting by then.

Don't buy an ADT system from the dealer in Knoxville, TN!