[Resolved] ABC Financial Services / poor documentation of cancellation policy, hurdles to cancelling gym membership

1 PA, United States Review updated:

Seconding the views of another complaint against ABC financial services, this is a company that makes the actual steps to cancel a membership difficult to discover, and the process is arduous. ABC Financial Services provides the billing service for Sweat Fitness here in Philadelphia. On the Sweat Fitness contract, the cancellation policy states that a certified letter, with receipt confirmation, be sent to ABC Financial Services. One slight problem, there is no mailing address provided. Scanning the fine print the contract, the best one can do is that the Electronic Funds Transfer is set up through ABC Financial Services, Inc ("The Company"), Sherwood AR 72124. That's not a complete mailing address, of course. Going to their website is not helpful; going to their 'Contact Us' page is set up for businesses wishing to use their billing services, not for customers. Of course, no mailing address is provided. I tried calling customer service on the weekend but of course they were closed.
The intent here is clear... this is a business looking to make business for itself and is not intent on provided good customer service for the end users, i.e., gym members looking to cancel a policy. If the latter were the case, they would provide a simple, clear online option, provide a readily discoverable mailing address, and would not require an arduous cancellation policy-- a certified letter with return receipt to cancel a gym membership- come on! I can navigate changes to my car loan and home mortgage payment with far less hassle.

• Resolution statement

• ABC Financial Services Customer Care's Response, May 23, 2011

We regret to hear that your experience with ABC Financial Services was anything BUT satisfactory.
    Our ultimate goal is to provide the best customer service to both our clients and their members. It's a common practice for a membership to be cancelled with a written notice sent via certified mail. The cancellation terms are in the agreement for you to read over before you sign. Once the agreement is signed then you have agreed to these terms.
    I understand you had difficulty finding the address to ABC Financial which i apologize for that. You can always contact your health club represenative for information you can not find on your agreement.
    I was not able to locate your membership with the information provided in this post, however, should you have additional comments you would care to discuss, please email me at Stephanie.cook@abcfinancial.com.

Comments

• Th
      12th of Jul, 2011

I definately agree with this complaint. I've been trying to cancel my membership, which i have not used in the last 5 months, for the past 3 months. I called customer service 3 months ago and i swear the woman on the phone told me that i would be getting a confirmation letter in the mail. Leaving it at that, to my surprise i continued to be charged the following month, however because i did not expect the payment i did not have the funds in my account to be withdrawaled therefore they then hit me with more than double my monthly payment. I called customer service again and the guy i talked to said there was no record of me calling the month before and then informed me that i had to send a certified letter simply stating that i wanted to cancel my membership. WHY CAN THIS NOT JUST BE DONE OVER THE PHONE?! It's only a gym membership! This has caused so much hassle for me, not to mention costing me money i as a student do not have, that i will never return to Gold's Gym ever again.

• As
      25th of Oct, 2012

i am having the same problem they are horrible!!! i call like i was told then they say i cant cancel i have to call my gym and cancel, then my gym says u can just call and cancel, NOPE they tell me i cant cancel and that i have to hand write a flippin note saying why i wana cancel my member ship... stupidest thing i have heard, then when i say i never renewed it and it should have ended almost a year ago they say its automatic this company sucks and i hope to never deal with them again oooo and an address would be nice so i know where to send my hand written note ... but guess what its impossible to find and the women on the phone said go to our website just a bunch of BS!!!

• Jc
      3rd of Feb, 2013

I was having the same exact problem with sweat fitness in northern liberties. The guys at the counter didnt even mention anything about a contract to me or my girlfriend and then we were automatically locked into to one. Then why I try to cancel our membership I find out that I have to deal with a complete different company called abc financial who did their absolute best to not help me out They want you to pay a $100 fee to cancel and on top of that you need to have a serious medical problem with a letter written from your dr or at least move 25 miles away from a sweat gym with 3 proofs of a new address is the biggest scam I ever witnessed they gym and finance company isn’t nothing but a bunch of snakes and crooks who are unwilling to help the customer by any means