ABC Financial / Retro Fitness / billing - account issues

1 Kenilworth, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 908-729-9119/888-827-9262

Me and my husband have been members since before this gym actually opened. We signed up together, still have the original agreement but yet they still continue to screw up our account.

First time: Both accounts were under me. My husband didn't exist. Supposedly they corrected this. Fine.

Second Time: Call in to cancel tanning packages on both the accounts on June 30th. The girl said it was taken care of. No worries. Wasen't told at that time I was not even in the system. Great employee. I should have been told there was an issue with my account at this time.

Checked most recent bank statement- billed for tanning and for 2 accounts.

Called and spoke to Christina who said she would have the Manager call me when she gets in at 5. 8 PM rolls around and no call. I call in, she knew about the situation yet didn't lift a finger to even call and let me know the situation. Got into an argument with her and she says I dont exist and that the tanning was never cancelled??? Well I have 2 years bank statements showing otherwise.

Blamed ABC Financial and said I need to take it up with them. They make those changes blah blah

Call ABC... They told me that the changes to my account were in fact made at the Gym. She read me the notes on the account. She had found my account labeled as my husbands... AGAIN! I guess Santa Clause did this???? Maybe the Tooth Fairy??? So they keep changing the names around on our account and then act like they don't know whats going on or who did it?

ABC has the account change history and notes. I asked for a copy for my records. The rep told me she cant do that but said I can do it on the clubonline.com . She had me on a 2 hour wild goose chase and in the end...no notes. She said they changed their system last week and she wasent aware... UM HELLO YOU WORK THERE. Basically ABC is will not give me my account notes in writing. 2 Hours wasted with an incompetent representative who doesent even know how her own company works or their changes.

I am out money on the tanning. I am out of my time dealing with this BS that I pay for on time monthly... and I am angry that the Gym pointed the finger at someone else when the computer system shows who did what at what time... BIG SCAM AND LIARS. For someone who doesen't exist you sure dont mind taking money out of my account for 2 memberships??? Rude and Poor Customer Service.

Comments

• Al
      9th of Jul, 2010

As an employee of ABC Financial Services, I regret to hear your experience has been frustrating and that you have not been able to resolve the issue concerning the tanning package on your accounts.

I would be happy to review both your and your husband's memberships to ensure they are both accurately entered in our system and see what needs to be done to do away with your tanning package.

Should you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email me at [protected]@abcfinancial.com or call at 1-800-622-6290 Ext. 1804.

Alex Mena
    Data Research Analyst

• Wh
      12th of Dec, 2011

I am dealing with the same horrible customer service and sketchy business of retro fitness and abc financial. First off, I went into retro and told them I could only go to their gym for a couple months before I had to go back to school. The mangaer that made my account assured me I could pay the start up fee and then just pay for whatever months that I come in and use the gym. He never said anything even hinting that they would be charging me for a year long membership. a week ago I get a call from a very rude and unprofessional abc fincancial rep saying I owe retro hundreds of dollars...funny, I haven't set foot in there in over 5 months and told them that I couldn't come anymore the last month I was their. I call retro to work it out, the manager indirectly calls me a lair and keeps saying "well u signed the contract". That may be, but your manager lied directly to my face when I asked him how my membership would work. Now I'm in the process of trying to end this whole fiasco. My credit has been affected because no one ever sent me a letter, email or anything about overdue fees (if I got a notification I would most definitely taken care of this before). Moral of the story: Retro Fitness is a scam. They tell you one thing that sounds good, then hand u a contract with fine print saying somthing else. I've done so research, retro has 11 formal complaints about them ar the better business beauraun which they have refused to respond to. AND this ABC financial service that they are in cahoots with have over 800 consumer complaints on the BBB for unscrupulous tactics and taking money that's not theirs. Whatever you do don't go to retro fitness.

• He
      29th of Mar, 2012

We were told the same thing with my sons membership when we told them that he could only use the gym for the summer and then he had to go back to college and they gave us the same "no problem" line. They do nothing by letter or e-mail so nothing is ever in writing; they are also impossible to get in touch with by phone, it's always they will call back and never do! To make matters more of a problem their web site is impossible to make any successful transaction plus they randomly charge late fees when their bill is paid automatically. Your right they are a scam and I will add my name to the list of names at the better business bureau.

• Re
      22nd of Sep, 2012

ABC just charged me $40.89 for my $19.99 membership because my debit card expiration date changed, number stayed the same, they claim the called and left messages and sent a letter. they lie. WARNING So they charge a fee if your card changes or expires. I too have been with them since they opened, I decided to cancel my membership because of this, too many gyms around here for the same price and I won't have to deal with this crap. I was told I need to send ABC a certified letter (don't know why, I signed up at Fairfield NJ Retro, not with ABC) and it will be 60 days until they cancel which means another $40. Seriously Retro? Get the word out, Retro isn't the place to go...find a gym without the BS.

• Su
      1st of Dec, 2014

They steal you money! Do not enter into an agreement with ABC financial. Scam!

• Ki
      25th of Mar, 2015

I am sad to not have seen this a long time ago I want to get out of my contract and they are giving me such a hrad way to go I am very unhappy with retro fitness and have a long road aead to get out.. I think this is the worst company ever!!! I will never send anyone else to this company..

• Je
      3rd of Aug, 2015

This gym robbed me for a year and is now charging me an annual membership after I cancelled. Disgusting. I don't care who works there and who is going to try to justify this on here. There is nothing you can say that will make me believe you are ethical

23rd of Dec, 2016

I went to retro June/2016 looking for a class so that I could keep moving a whole hour and get my body in shape. The person at the dest shoved a paper for me to sign. I did not take my glasses with me and the print was small. Not once did she say that it was for a year. She said that I would have to come back later to find out about the place. I left and came back a few days later and a woman told me I could only do four machines. One hurt my new knee. She then took me to a small room and showed me 6 exercises. I asked her where do you teach classes and she said that they do not teach classes. As I was leaving she said, "When you come back, be here at 6 am because the MEN come at 7 or 8. I NEVER returned to Retro. On Oct. 2nd. we had trouble with paying bills on line and on Oct. 15th the Comcast bill came and noted that we didn't pay the Oct. bill. Now we had to pay double all our bills plus a late fee in Nov. We closed our account at that bank and went to another bank. About that time I went to Retro and said I am closing my account here because I never once used retro and the man said, "You paid for a year". I said, "WHAT?."
    Now ABC is harassing me time and time again. I am in my 80's and never used the place. I have been discriminated against because of my age. They don't want old women there while the MEN are there. Guess they are using my 3 machines also.

• Lj
      9th of Apr, 2017

I wonder if there is a class action law suit that we can all get involved with. I am so disgusted with Retro Fitness, and don't want anyone one else to go through what I did trying to cancel a membership for my son because he went to the Navy. Having to mail a letter in order to cancel is the biggest sign, please anyone sending a cancellation letter be smart and send if certified, its worth the money to know they cant lie and say they never received it