ABC Financial / unable to cancel membership at work out world gym

1 MA, United States Review updated:

My gripe is not with Work Out World gym per se but with deceptive advertisement on the ultimate cost of membership, the customer's ability (more accurately "inability") to cancel membership, the lying salespeople who trick you into joining by saying "you can cancel anytime", and the fraudulent billing practices their billing company (ABC Financial) follows. I joined this gym several years ago and quit after a few months because I just didn't like the atmosphere at all. Well, ABC Financial has been taking out payments regardless that the contract has ended. I have written as per the fine line in the contract. I have spoken with people at ABC Financial by phone, I have gone in to the gym personally. It has been a great big circle of playing the blame game. End result is they are still taking money out of my account! I even received a call from a WOW representative who was trying to get me to extend my membership. I laughed in his face and told him no way. The joke was on me. I've been told the only way to prevent ABC Financial from taking money out is to close or change my account. This company and all the gyms that use them and knowingly take part in the circle of deception need to get hit with a class action suit!

Comments

• Al
      21st of Apr, 2010

We regret to hear that your experience with ABC Financial Services was anything BUT satisfactory.

Our ultimate goal is to provide the best customer service to both our clients and their members. It's a common practice for a membership to continue at the end of the original term - much like a cell phone agreement, the service is not discontinued at the end of the allotted time frame, but continues until the consumer is no longer in need of the service.

We are aware that each individual situation differs from the next, however, all consumer concerns are taken very seriously and we would like the opportunity to review your situation and thoroughly satisfy your needs.
    If your intent is to discontinue your workout relationship with WOW, ABC Financial would simply outline the requierments to discontinue your service. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and would be happy to rectify any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I was not able to locate your membership with the information provided in this post, however, should you have additional comments you would care to discuss, please email memberservices@abcfinancial.com.

Alex Mena
    Consumer Relations
    ABC Financial Services, Inc.

• Cz
      25th of May, 2010

I received an email from an Allison from ABC asking for an additional fee. Well after heated discussions with ABC's shoddy customer service I sent the following email:

Allison,
    I am very dissatisfied with how your organization is scammingme $25. Yes, I consider this a scam! I went to WOW yesterday and they checked my records that I was up to date in payments and I will not have to make any more. All I had to do was sign the cancellation waiver and call ABC Financial to confirm. After speaking to the ABC representative she assured me all I had to do was respond to a email I was sent later that night stating I cancelled my membership with WOW andthere will be NO ADDITIONAL FEES!!! And I received your email asking for an addition $25. I called you company and after an hour ofheated discussion I looked on line and I have found the following link: https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/unable-to-cancel-membership-at-work-out-world-gym-c311879.html
    This person is in the same boat as I am. I was told the only cancellation fee I would have paid was if I cancelled my membership before the agreed upon 2 year agreement with WOW. I was a member for almost 4 years. Do the math. How am I still being charged? You people are scam artist no matter which way you slice it. You take good committed customers and spit into their faces. You say I will be welcomed at the gym until 6/30/10 well here is news for you the peple at WOW said I have 8 days left. Once again do the math. Your customer service is shoddy at best and no help what so ever. You ask what I want in return how about not charging me this ridiculous $25! I will not even be around to use this facility! I think you are a horrible company and yes believe me I will be spreading the word about avoiding you people. I better not see anymore additional charges on my statement at all after this. I have reported this incident to the Massachuetts Board of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulations in hopes they will place a warning to the people of Massachusetts to how you conduct buisness in our state.
    Best Regards.
    Mark

My hope is to spread the word to the public of Massachusetts and I hope the Massachusetts Board of Consumer Affairs can help. I am debating even calling the local news outlets.

• Dr
      28th of Jun, 2010

I had the same problem with ABC Financial, my membership had expired in February of 2010 and they still charged my credit card for the fee of $59.99 for me and my wife, i called and they said I needed to go to the WOW center and sign a contract resignation and they charged me again $59.99 for March, so I went to the Gym and sign the contract resignation and the manager wanted for us to keep the same benefits for $9.99 per month and I was so discussed with them that I said "no! please cancel my contract" and when I finalized the signing she said to me " OK Mr Farias I will call in to cancel" and shaken my hand like a professional person does. Thirty days after I got charged again for $59.99 for the membership, I called the WOW center and they said that it was out of their hands then they given me a new number to call, that's when the fun begun when the person on the other end said that my account was never canceled, I flipped and called the WOW center and could never talk to the manager. I called that special number again and someone else answer and said that my account still active till I wright a letter stating that I wanted to cancel my account, I wrote the letter and still need to pay for two months of membership $119.98 I asked the professional for him to check when was the last time I used the WOW center (November, 2009) and he said he couldn't get that info. and that they never got a letter so I wrote a second letter saying how much they owed me from overcharges and made sure that letter was registered so that someone needed to sign when received the letter now my charges are $89.98 for late fees because I canceled my credit card and reported fraud. ABC Financial is the worse company that I ever known for my entire life they are the BIGGEST RIPOFF I EVER SEEN. SHAME ON YOU ABC FINANCIAL

• Al
      9th of Jul, 2010

Most health clubs require that a 30 day written cancellation notice is given - this information is provided to when you sign up for the membership.

Like most businesses, if a payment is late or rejected by the financial institution, fees are assessed due to the delay in processing your payment.

I apologize if you feel this is a rip off - I would be happy to review your membership to ensure it was properly handled.

Please feel free to email me at alex.mena@abcfinancial.com or call at 1-800-622-6290 Ext.1804.

Alex Mena
    Data Research Anaylst

• Os
      14th of Nov, 2018

For over 3years i need use your service and i got charged every month. Now i got a need debt card my phone never stop ring from your office. CAN YOU PEOPLE STOP CALLING ME.. I WILL NOT CONTINUE TO PAY FOR SERVICE I DONT USE.